BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #23
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
It's funny i found this post because my stupidity almost met a new high today...
I pulled up to a yield sign, saw a little Golf on my right going too slow followed by a long line of cars, so I looked left which was clear and goosed the throttle to pullout ahead of him taking the left turn tight...at the last second I looked towards the road ahead and I see a pole and directional arrow sign that had been hidden by my left "A" pillar...not only a pole but also a curb about 8-10" tall to protect the sign....I slam on the brakes and avoid the curb/sign and stop in the middle of the intersection shaking my head...the little golf and line of cars pass in front of me....wow that was stupid.
      07-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #24
Ejpatch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i cv

I tried to wipe of dried up bird poop with a dry rag. When it didn't come of I rubbed harder and harder and scratched my hood
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #25
SHFT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 6MT

the thought crossing my mind to let my girl drive my car ... what was I thinking lol
      07-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #26
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Well, this isn't me, and it isn't a 1-er, but I can't resist telling the story about my mom. (One of many, unfortunately!) She has a very narrow single car garage. One day, I noticed a long scrape running down the entire driver's side of her car. I asked her what happened, and she told me she had scraped it on the brick entry to the garage. I said, "Did it occur to you to stop when you hit it?" Her response? "I had to go in or out, didn't I?"
      07-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #27
CoralRed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, e36/7, e91 times 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic
Well, this isn't me, and it isn't a 1-er, but I can't resist telling the story about my mom. (One of many, unfortunately!) She has a very narrow single car garage. One day, I noticed a long scrape running down the entire driver's side of her car. I asked her what happened, and she told me she had scraped it on the brick entry to the garage. I said, "Did it occur to you to stop when you hit it?" Her response? "I had to go in or out, didn't I?"
Oh man!! That's exactly something my mom would do! Sweet lady but can't operate a motor vehicle to save her life!!

Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:43 AM   #28
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerman View Post
You're nucking futs. I can't stand this type of heat. Go outside to water a Fern plant and I drip sweat in a matter of 10 seconds
Yup, I just shut down.

Just washed and waxed her today though, mild break in the heat.
      07-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #29
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

was backing up and looking to my left so i could tell a friend in his car that i was following him. as i was backing up i was going a bit fast and relying on my Park Distance tone. The beep didnt pick up the corner of a fence till too late and i scrapped it on my right bumper .. was unsightly till my friends D/A buffer got lot of it out. But still had to replace it cause of the indentation on my plastic bumper. that was pretty dumb but most of all embarassing.
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #30
Yablonski135
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 CSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
This stupidity on my part does not concern my new 135i, rather if concerns my previous X3 35i and occurred less than one year ago.

I was reversing out of a curved driveway which had two gate posts and a fairly narrow gate opening. I was using my mirrors for direction, and relying on my PDC warning system, I was also reversing too rapidly.

Yep, the PDC went off, and then I crunched the rear corner of the X3 into one of the gate posts. Total stupidity on my part. Cost me $1300 as I did not claim it on insurance.

I was turning around in a dead end road and backed into a cement potted plant. I thought it could be touched up and fixed, but both quotes have required replacement of the whole rear bumper. Debating on if I should claim it or not.
      07-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #31
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Went to a party at a friends this Saturday nite. I was hot as Hades so I left the windows and sunroof half open to vent the car. Dont you know it, a vicious storm came out of nowhere and unloaded a ton of water in no time. Thankfully the wife reminded me its open. Even running to get to the car buttoned down there was quite a bit of water inside. A couple of towels and a 1/2 hour later it was OK. I'll be more careful leaving it open, even when it looks nice outside.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #32
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralRed View Post
First I wanna share my story... Then see if anyone has anything similar!

In the middle of week 2 of detailing my 135i. I got a little polish on my windshield wipers while doing the hood... NBD. I've taken wipers off of my cars dozens of times including my 135i. I always lay a roll tape down under the end of the arm so if it snaps down it won't damage the windshield. I am working in the dark as our power is out due to a storm and I didn't feel like searching in the dim light for my tape. The ONE time I don't put the tape down.... As I started to position the wiper blade into place it hit the arm just long enough to send it flying into the windshield. Hard enough to crack the crap out of it. Now I need a new one!! FML!!!!! Who else has done something similar???

Chris
Damn that's a strong spring!
Ouch.

My dumbest move was trying clutch-less shifts.
Just cause I wanna, so there.
I've done it properly in other older cars.
You'd think by age 46 I'd be done with these shenanigans.

Succeeded on about 90% of the shifts.
The other 10%.....grrrrrrrrrrr....release lever QUICKLY!!!
At least I had the presence of thought on knowing when to give up, and quickly too.

BTW, it's so freaking smooth and quick when done correctly.
But I ain't gonna practice that in a BMW no more.
Use an old Ford or something like it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #33
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Went to a party at a friends this Saturday nite. I was hot as Hades so I left the windows and sunroof half open to vent the car. Dont you know it, a vicious storm came out of nowhere and unloaded a ton of water in no time. Thankfully the wife reminded me its open. Even running to get to the car buttoned down there was quite a bit of water inside. A couple of towels and a 1/2 hour later it was OK. I'll be more careful leaving it open, even when it looks nice outside.
You'd think with all the sensors and tech in BMW's these days that the rain sensor would sense the rain, and close the open roof and windows.
Heck, all the hardware to do that is already in there, all that's needed is programming.

I say this because I've done that too, but not in my 135i.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #34
afisherunc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (Sold) @downf0rce

Learning, when I got the car, that you need to have the break pedal pressed or the car won't start. Couldn't figure it out so I pretended I was messing with other things in the car until the dealer told me.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #35
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
You'd think with all the sensors and tech in BMW's these days that the rain sensor would sense the rain, and close the open roof and windows.
Heck, all the hardware to do that is already in there, all that's needed is programming.

I say this because I've done that too, but not in my 135i.
That feature was probably left out intentionally for the same reason we can't remotely close our windows and sunroof with the key fob...someone on this forum mentioned it was likely a liability avoidance thing. They (BMW) are afraid if they set it to auto some guy or kid will have his head out the window and it'll close on him. I guess sensors to detect if there is an object in the way is out of the question?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #36
panoz7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
That feature was probably left out intentionally for the same reason we can't remotely close our windows and sunroof with the key fob...someone on this forum mentioned it was likely a liability avoidance thing. They (BMW) are afraid if they set it to auto some guy or kid will have his head out the window and it'll close on him. I guess sensors to detect if there is an object in the way is out of the question?
I think there actually are pressure sensors. I also believe that you can code it so that the sunroof and windows shut when it starts raining. Seems like a great idea to me, although I'm not sure I'd trust it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #37
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz7 View Post
I think there actually are pressure sensors. I also believe that you can code it so that the sunroof and windows shut when it starts raining. Seems like a great idea to me, although I'm not sure I'd trust it.
I've had my fingers caught in a closing car window before. It wasn't pleasant.

It could go beyond that though. If BMW put the sensors in, and it rains, and the windows don't close, then its BMW's fault. If they don't and you forget to close your windows when it rains, then its your fault. Why would BMW give themselves yet another chance for something to go wrong?

What did we ever do before sensors? Oh, close the damn windows ourselves. I just think "automatic closing windows" is unnecessary.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #38
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by afisherunc View Post
Learning, when I got the car, that you need to have the break pedal pressed or the car won't start. Couldn't figure it out so I pretended I was messing with other things in the car until the dealer told me.
When I first test drove the car and pulled back into the lot, I was trying to let someone into the passenger seat and the door was locked...spent a solid minute trying to find the unlock button, which naturally says nothing about "unlock" on it. I felt like such a moron, but in fairness a window with a key in it doesn't really scream "unlock doors". German cars simply have their own logic, some of it is pretty silly if you ask me.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #39
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

I figured this was relevant... I was taking the afternoon to install my new OCC today and I broke it off by accident because BMW uses the most frustrating and retarded clips and connectors imaginable, and I lost it down in the engine bay somewhere. Can't find it at all, so I'm just hoping it doesn't get too hot and melt/start a fire. Getting a new one overnighted from Dan@United (DAN YOU ARE AWESOME!), but it's a pain in the ass.

I've done many other dumb things though... but you live and you learn. This was just something that was preventable if I was just taking my time more and not getting frustrated with the stupid clips. Though I don't see how any human being can resist getting annoyed by the engine bay. So cramped, everything so awkwardly placed and hard to work on, every clip or connector has SOMETHING stupid about it.. ugh.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #40
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
When I first test drove the car and pulled back into the lot, I was trying to let someone into the passenger seat and the door was locked...spent a solid minute trying to find the unlock button, which naturally says nothing about "unlock" on it. I felt like such a moron, but in fairness a window with a key in it doesn't really scream "unlock doors". German cars simply have their own logic, some of it is pretty silly if you ask me.
When I finished my first test drive I couldn't figure out how to get the key out!!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #41
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6
Wow same thing happened to me. Except I was in class and ran out as soon as I saw it get dark. My cup holders were full of water . Had to super dry it
      07-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #42
CoralRed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, e36/7, e91 times 2

I learned my lesson the hard way.... Almost 700 to get a new windshield installed.... There goes my modifications budget....

Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #43
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Not on the 1-series but... I was jacking up my car from the center jack point under my car. Jack slipped in the process and slid right into my radiator spilling fluid everywhere. Thank god I wasn't under it and was in the process of jacking it up. Lesson learned - Double check, triple check if your jack is stable on the jacking point and is able to ROLL when jacking up your car. If your jack isn't rolling, it has the potential to slip.
      07-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #44
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Put mine up for sale...actually have not done it yet but you might see a new post from me soon. I don't want to let it go but the wife is on me She wants a 535. I love my 135, especially since it is exactly where I want it after all my modding.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0