BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #243
mattE82
-
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i Sedona Red

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
Do you have a machine polisher?
Yes! i am using a simoniz machine polisher
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #244
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

just sent you some suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #245
dreidurtyfive
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i

Hey

So i have been planning on doing a corretin on my car. I had some questions about compounding. I am planning on using the fg400 i got from you guys as my first step (after a full wash,decon and nanoscrub). My question is around wether or not i should use it on the whole car? and then further what [ad should i use on the whole car? shoudli usea cutting disc across the whole thing or is that to agressive? or should i use a foam pad then switch to cutting disc on areas need more attention?

Thanks & you products are all truely fantastic!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #246
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

sure thing, you will have to determine this for yourself, what color is the car and what condition is it in. can you share a photo?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #247
dreidurtyfive
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i

its a 2008 Sparkling Graphite metallic 3 sedan, its in pretty good shape , definetly had a some rounds with bad automated brushed carwashes with the previous owner. I dont have any close up pics of the paint at the moment, i assume that is that what your looking for, no?

sorry but this is all i have on me at the moment

Last edited by dreidurtyfive; 03-28-2013 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #248
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

you can definitely use the FG400 on the complete car then finish it out with a final polish.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 05:40 AM   #249
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

Will Zaino CS stick to Wolf's Hard Body after its cured.
      03-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #250
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Hey Phil,

I was washing/claying/sealing my wheels yesterday and they were in really bad condition. I was wondering -- what is a good way to remove embedded asphalt and left over wheel weight stickers?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #251
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

it should be able to stick (zaino) over the hardbody after its cured
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #252
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowill View Post
Hey Phil,

I was washing/claying/sealing my wheels yesterday and they were in really bad condition. I was wondering -- what is a good way to remove embedded asphalt and left over wheel weight stickers?
sure thing

Stoner's Tarminator should help, if the wheels are clear coated use a fine polish and polish them back up.

Menzerna SF4000 would work nicely.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #253
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i MT LeMans

Hi Phil,

I was hoping to get a professional opinion on a nice ding the dealer left on my car today when I brought it in for service. I'm sure its hard to tell from my horrible pictures.

I know its probably optimistic to think that it can be fixed, but do you think some compound and a polisher could reduce a percentage of it?

Is it worth me trying to take it to a professional detailer in town (there are only 2 that I know of) And I've never been to either. Here is one I was thinking of http://www.fari.ca/

I don't want the car door painted... they will probably just make it worse.

Help!

I recently picked up a Portercable 7424xp, and some lake country pads,
I got 1 greenfoam all in one pad, 1 white polishing pad (says very light cutting power) and a black finishing pad.
I also have a small 8oz bottle of meguires 205 and meguires ultimate compound.

I have watched several videos on youtube of how to section off and do some basic paint correction, but have never done it myself. Wondering if its worth trying or best left to a pro.

All the best,

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #254
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

unfortunately that looks like a burn mark, you will need to put touch up paint on that or get a body shop to fix it, do not put a machine to it you will make it worse.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #255
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
unfortunately that looks like a burn mark, you will need to put touch up paint on that or get a body shop to fix it, do not put a machine to it you will make it worse.
Thank you for your response, it is appreciated. I worry about touch up paint or a body shop (when I got my old car back from one it was full of holograms).

Is there something "gentle" I can try by hand to see how bad it is?

No, for the machine polish - Got it.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #256
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehalcyon View Post
Thank you for your response, it is appreciated. I worry about touch up paint or a body shop (when I got my old car back from one it was full of holograms).

Is there something "gentle" I can try by hand to see how bad it is?

No, for the machine polish - Got it.

Thanks again
do you have a fine polish you can try to hand polish it but it looks like you may have lost paint there.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #257
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
do you have a fine polish you can try to hand polish it but it looks like you may have lost paint there.
Thanks. I'll try some meg205 with a foam applicator pad and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #258
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

lmk how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #259
Mstandard
For Pony!!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive

Hi Phil,

Just recieved my order today, will try that Flex orbital soon on my dads black sl550. Thank you for the great service!

Anyway, I was just curious about what was your own weakly routine regarding the detailing of your personal car.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #260
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstandard View Post
Hi Phil,

Just recieved my order today, will try that Flex orbital soon on my dads black sl550. Thank you for the great service!

Anyway, I was just curious about what was your own weakly routine regarding the detailing of your personal car.
your the first person to really ask me that LOL

a nice thorough wash, (2 buckets etc)
then dry with an air force master blaster, then a gentle wipe down to get the rest of the water off, then hit it with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer.

Next glass, wheels and dress the tires, if I have time a quick interior with 1Z einszett Cockpit.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #261
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
lmk how it goes.
Hi Phil, BMW Dealer didn't take responsibility for the free installed scratch. They did "offer" me to take it to their collision center, which was an Acura dealership. Guy there rubbed it with some compound on what looked like a mesh cloth/rag. Seems to have gotten most of it. I think maybe I can do another pass myself with meguire 205 and hopefully that will make it mostly unnoticeable.

Thanks again for your advice.

Dusk, no light.

Using a flashlight to light up the area:

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #262
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

looks much better!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #263
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Hi Phil,

Recently received my uber foam cannon and a few other goodies from DD.

In the next little while I plan on doing my first detail attempt on my newish car ( picked it up this past Dec)

Its been driven through a long Canadian winter with lots of salt and the paint has taken a bit of abuse as a result.

I recently tried out my foam cannon on a lightly dirty car with chemical guys honeydew snowfoam. Tried different amounts, the foam looked good, nice and thick. After it was rinsed off there was still quite a lot of dirt and road film on the lower sides of the car especially.

Paintwork seems in decent condition overall but there is some slight abrasions from what looks like dealer prepping the car.

Here is my plan just wondering if you can make a suggestion or two if you have the time. Borrowed your template.

BMW 135i
Requirements:
Get the car looking new!

Exterior

1- prep wheels with Sonax Wheel Cleaner and clean up with Wheel Woolie angle brush

2- Tires spritzed and brushed, and wheel wells cleaned up with 1Z einszett W99

3- Prewash car with 1Z einszett W99 what ratio? Was thinking something like 4oz 1z W99 with 4oz Chem Guys Honeydew Snowfoam - fill rest with water)

4- Rinse

5- Spray down car with CarPro Iron-X

6- Quick rinse

7- Hand Wash with Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo & Conditioner (2 buckets with Grit guards, Meg's microfiber mitt)

8- Door jambs cleaned

9- Nano Scrub AutoScrub (Fine) with Glide Lubricant (never done this - break it in on glass is what I've heard)

10- Dry Car (don't have a blower so I anticipate some water spots can quick detail them out after - I have a Megs - Water magnet towel but I fear marring the finish with it)

11- Masking

12- Meg's 205 or Meg's Ultimate compound on Lake country white pad (light cut, also have an CG hexlogic orange pad) with PorterCable 7424xp

13- IPA wipedown 50% alcohol 50% water mix?

14- Autoglym High Definition Cleanser - Got this as a gift, not really sure where it belongs, is the same step as the IPA wipe down?

15- Autoglym High Definition Wax 2x coats

16- Clean Windows with Stoners Invisible Glass & polish them with Autoglym Glass Polish and light cutting pad, seal them with some Aquapel rain treatment.

few notes:
-Not sure what to clean the exhaust tips with , they look like they were originally a shiny black (stock 135i)

-Never dressed the plastics or wheel wells with anything, would Adams VRT do the trick? [I bought some tire dressing from a wally world recently and havent been very happy with it, seems to run when its wet and get my rims filthy.]

Sorry for the uber long post, thank you for reading!

Last edited by thehalcyon; 04-10-2013 at 01:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #264
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehalcyon View Post
Hi Phil,

Recently received my uber foam cannon and a few other goodies from DD.

In the next little while I plan on doing my first detail attempt on my newish car ( picked it up this past Dec)

Its been driven through a long Canadian winter with lots of salt and the paint has taken a bit of abuse as a result.

I recently tried out my foam cannon on a lightly dirty car with chemical guys honeydew snowfoam. Tried different amounts, the foam looked good, nice and thick. After it was rinsed off there was still quite a lot of dirt and road film on the lower sides of the car especially.

Paintwork seems in decent condition overall but there is some slight abrasions from what looks like dealer prepping the car.

Here is my plan just wondering if you can make a suggestion or two if you have the time. Borrowed your template.

BMW 135i
Requirements:
Get the car looking new!

Exterior

1- prep wheels with Sonax Wheel Cleaner and clean up with Wheel Woolie angle brush

2- Tires spritzed and brushed, and wheel wells cleaned up with 1Z einszett W99

3- Prewash car with 1Z einszett W99 what ratio? Was thinking something like 4oz 1z W99 with 4oz Chem Guys Honeydew Snowfoam - fill rest with water)

4- Rinse

5- Spray down car with CarPro Iron-X

6- Quick rinse

7- Hand Wash with Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo & Conditioner (2 buckets with Grit guards, Meg's microfiber mitt)

8- Door jambs cleaned

9- Nano Scrub AutoScrub (Fine) with Glide Lubricant (never done this - break it in on glass is what I've heard)

10- Dry Car (don't have a blower so I anticipate some water spots can quick detail them out after - I have a Megs - Water magnet towel but I fear marring the finish with it)

11- Masking

12- Meg's 205 or Meg's Ultimate compound on Lake country white pad (light cut, also have an CG hexlogic orange pad) with PorterCable 7424xp

13- IPA wipedown 50% alcohol 50% water mix?

14- Autoglym High Definition Cleanser - Got this as a gift, not really sure where it belongs, is the same step as the IPA wipe down?

15- Autoglym High Definition Wax 2x coats

16- Clean Windows with Stoners Invisible Glass & polish them with Autoglym Glass Polish and light cutting pad, seal them with some Aquapel rain treatment.

few notes:
-Not sure what to clean the exhaust tips with , they look like they were originally a shiny black (stock 135i)

-Never dressed the plastics or wheel wells with anything, would Adams VRT do the trick? [I bought some tire dressing from a wally world recently and havent been very happy with it, seems to run when its wet and get my rims filthy.]

Sorry for the uber long post, thank you for reading!
it's a great plan. lmk what else you may need assistance on.
Appreciate 0