BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

It's like a new car!

I picked up my 1M in late October and drove it for about a month before I put on winter tires (Blizzak LM-60's on VMR V710 wheels)....I finally got around to putting my stock wheels and Summer tires on (I kept thinking winter was going to actually come to Chicago this year), wow what a difference, the Blizzaks performed really well in the dry for winter tires but it sure was nice to take some fast corners and on/off ramps today with the PS-2's back on. I almost forgot how great this car handles at the limit.
      03-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
dcb
Private
Rep
Drives: Black 1M

I drove mine 1M for 3 days before I installed my Sotto Zero 240's! Great tires but I am dying to try them out now that I'm broken in!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

+1 to what ESC OFF said.

I'm somewhat ashamed to report I finally got my summer tires mounted today, which is at least a month late for Minnesota, especially considering the mild winter this year. I missed the 18" APEX ARC-8 group buy in February and was in a state of indecision about whether to remount the summer PS2s on the stock wheels or hope another 18" ARC-8 group buy would come along soon, which I planned to pair with PSS tires. Alas, no group buy, so I gave up and put the PS2s back on the stock wheels.

**Murphy's Law alert: Tomorrow an ARC-8 group buy will open and it will snow in Minnesota. **

We did European Delivery in late October 2011 and put 831 miles on the 1M on the summer tires. Then we did Performance Center Delivery in December and drove 15 miles from the Performance Center straight to Tire Exchange in Mauldin, SC to have winter tires installed for the drive home. So of the 5,300 miles on my 1M, all but 846 have been on Blizzaks.

Today I drove the 1M in the U.S. for the first time on summer tires.

All I can say is it was almost--almost--like being back in Germany with the 1M. Which is to say, pretty amazing. I love this car.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
+1 to what ESC OFF said.

I'm somewhat ashamed to report I finally got my summer tires mounted today, which is at least a month late for Minnesota, especially considering the mild winter this year. I missed the 18" APEX ARC-8 group buy in February and was in a state of indecision about whether to remount the summer PS2s on the stock wheels or hope another 18" ARC-8 group buy would come along soon, which I planned to pair with PSS tires. Alas, no group buy, so I gave up and put the PS2s back on the stock wheels.

**Murphy's Law alert: Tomorrow an ARC-8 group buy will open and it will snow in Minnesota. **

We did European Delivery in late October 2011 and put 831 miles on the 1M on the summer tires. Then we did Performance Center Delivery in December and drove 15 miles from the Performance Center straight to Tire Exchange in Mauldin, SC to have winter tires installed for the drive home. So of the 5,300 miles on my 1M, all but 846 have been on Blizzaks.

Today I drove the 1M in the U.S. for the first time on summer tires.

All I can say is it was almost--almost--like being back in Germany with the 1M. Which is to say, pretty amazing. I love this car.
Congratulations! It was a mild winter..... I bet those blizzaks are done for.
Must feel great to not run around on rocks for tires lol. When you did the tire swap... Did you ship your OEM tires home or did they fit in the car?

Ready for that Arc-8 group by myself..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Congratulations! It was a mild winter..... I bet those blizzaks are done for.
Must feel great to not run around on rocks for tires lol. When you did the tire swap... Did you ship your OEM tires home or did they fit in the car?

Ready for that Arc-8 group by myself..
The four OEM tires fit easily, width-wise, on the back seat (i.e. lined up like a roll of Life Savers candies across the back seat, "rolling" in the same direction as the tires on the car). I did have to move the front seats a little forward and / or the seatbacks a little more upright than what I like. It wasn't much, though.

You can also fold the back seat down and put the tires in the same position described above, except instead of putting the tires on the back seat, you put them on the folded down back seat. That's how I transported the tires home from PCD. I had to adjust the front seats some then, too. Not a big deal, even for the 1,300 mile (2,100 km) trip home. For reference, I'm 5'10" (1.78 m). Taller people might be less comfortable.

I don't remember which was was better -- on the seat or with the seat folded flat. I think it might be slightly better to fold the seat down flat. Either way works fine, though. In both cases the tire shop put the tires in large plastic bags for me. And when I put the tires directly on the back seat, I put a bedsheet down to protect the leather.

Some good info in this thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606691

P.S. I wanted to say thanks to you and all the others on this forum who were so active and helpful with the "available allocations" thread. I would have never found my 1M without this forum (and that thread, specifically). Those were exciting times, though my employer would probably disagree...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:40 AM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
The four OEM tires fit easily, width-wise, on the back seat (i.e. lined up like a roll of Life Savers candies across the back seat, "rolling" in the same direction as the tires on the car). I did have to move the front seats a little forward and / or the seatbacks a little more upright than what I like. It wasn't much, though.

You can also fold the back seat down and put the tires in the same position described above, except instead of putting the tires on the back seat, you put them on the folded down back seat. That's how I transported the tires home from PCD. I had to adjust the front seats some then, too. Not a big deal, even for the 1,300 mile (2,100 km) trip home. For reference, I'm 5'10" (1.78 m). Taller people might be less comfortable.

I don't remember which was was better -- on the seat or with the seat folded flat. I think it might be slightly better to fold the seat down flat. Either way works fine, though. In both cases the tire shop put the tires in large plastic bags for me. And when I put the tires directly on the back seat, I put a bedsheet down to protect the leather.

Some good info in this thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606691

P.S. I wanted to say thanks to you and all the others on this forum who were so active and helpful with the "available allocations" thread. I would have never found my 1M without this forum (and that thread, specifically). Those were exciting times, though my employer would probably disagree...

LOL.. DE NADA!!! Those were exciting times.. Yes indeed they were! I definitely wouldn't be able to duplicate them today... workforce mgmt has arrived! I am lucky to see the internet for 15 minutes a day non work related right now...it's horrible!

Thanks for tips on the tires.... Gonna invest in some tire totes and go OLD School and prepare to be able to travel to my local track sans trailer.
Appreciate 0