BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

First Track Experience In A Car

Had the 135i (stock M-Sport with BMW PPK and Breyton Wheels/ZIIs as only mods) out at a BMWCCA event at Brainerd International Raceway this last weekend. I've been racing motorcycles there for the last 6 years but this was my first time out in any sort of car. Needless to say, I know the track quite well, so was able to bump from D group up to A fairly quickly. I had 225/255 ZIIs mounted up fresh for the day.

Just some observations coming from a primarily bike oriented perspective:

1. The lines are totally different from cars to bikes. I kept wanting to turn in early and trail brake into the corner like I would on my race bike instead of slowing all the way in a straight line then cutting hard in a car

2. I need to work on not over-driving the front tires. My mind kept saying I could carry more speed through the corner but my tires yelled that I couldn't

3. The stock suspension/bushings on this car are fairly week (duh...). The bushings were most evident in T2 at BIR (flat out in 5th gear with no banking). It felt like I was in a row boat. I think the car was oscillating in the X, Y, and Z axes throughout the corner

4. I don't know if I want to spend the money to upgrade the suspension/bushings on this car, or find an e36 M3 already prepped for the track. The 135i isn't a daily driver for me, but I am [s]weary[/s] wary about continuing to bring a $20k+ car out to events like this

5. Understeer. With the 255s on the rear and near stock power, rarely did I feel like the back end was getting loose. The front with 225s wanted to push everywhere though

6. I had a freakin blast. Met a lot of great people and saw some really nice cars

Last edited by BGR; 06-09-2014 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Just had my first experience this past weekend at Summit Point Raceway in WV. First off, I had an excellent time. My car suspension wise is 100% stock and the only difference between a stock car and mine (engine aside) is that I was wearing Michelin PSS tires.

1) Car felt very good all around but felt a bit soft and did induce considerable lean.
2) The Michelin PSS tires once warm, get a bit too soft for the track IMHO.
3) My car was setup to make about 320 WHP for this event and that to me is a perfect powerpoint for the track. Not once, did I yearn for more power even though my street settings are much faster.
4) The 215s in the front do seem a bit too skinny and maybe bringing them up to 225s would help while keeping the rear at 245. The car did exhibit a bit of understeer in this setup.

Overall I agree with your above statements... I will go back to a different track soon for an extended session.
      06-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
Had the 135i (stock M-Sport with BMW PPK and Breyton Wheels/ZIIs as only mods) out at a BMWCCA event at Brainerd International Raceway this last weekend. I've been racing motorcycles there for the last 6 years but this was my first time out in any sort of car. Needless to say, I know the track quite well, so was able to bump from D group up to A fairly quickly. I had 225/255 ZIIs mounted up fresh for the day.

Just some observations coming from a primarily bike oriented perspective:

1. The lines are totally different from cars to bikes. I kept wanting to turn in early and trail brake into the corner like I would on my race bike instead of slowing all the way in a straight line then cutting hard in a car

2. I need to work on not over-driving the front tires. My mind kept saying I could carry more speed through the corner but my tires yelled that I couldn't

3. The stock suspension/bushings on this car are fairly week (duh...). The bushings were most evident in T2 at BIR (flat out in 5th gear with no banking). It felt like I was in a row boat. I think the car was oscillating in the X, Y, and Z axes throughout the corner

4. I don't know if I want to spend the money to upgrade the suspension/bushings on this car, or find an e36 M3 already prepped for the track. The 135i isn't a daily driver for me, but I am weary about continuing to bring a $20k+ car out to events like this

5. Understeer. With the 255s on the rear and near stock power, rarely did I feel like the back end was getting loose. The front with 225s wanted to push everywhere though

6. I had a freakin blast. Met a lot of great people and saw some really nice cars

1. Yep late apex is preferable but obviously for faster corners you can trail brake through the turns as well.

2. Good observation on not over-driving the tires, too much slip angle and you may find yourself in a spin.

3. I find the shocks to be under dampened at times even for street.

4. If you plan on doing this long-term, a dedicated DE car is definitely a good idea. The general consensus is if you can't afford to walk away from your car, you shouldn't track it (or you then need to pick up HPDE insurance). Both Lockton Affinity and OnTrackInsurance offer HPDE insurance and will offter a 10-15% discount for a multi-event package. Compare the 2 for quotes, Loctkon offers a "bigger" discount if you're a CCA member but I find net/net the premiums are about the same. Last year Lockton was cheaper for me whereas this year OTI is cheaper.

But if you plan to ever drive competitively (TT or race), it may be better to look at a different car. Pick the organization and class you plan to drive in, and build around those rules and specs. Worst thing you can do is build a car and then find out later it won't be competitive in which ever class you intend to run in.

5. At the limit, I have no doubt the car understeers. The 1-er is begging for more rubber/camber up front.

6. Sounds like a great day overall.
      06-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
BGR
Captain
Rep

This was from when I was in D group. Pretty big car for the track...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
BGR
Captain
Rep

And one of my favorite corners in a car. Fast enough that the whole car is sort of sliding in control as you turn right and over the rumble strips.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Wary vs. weary

To be wary is (1) to be on guard against something, or (2) to be watchful or cautious. Weary means physically or mentally fatigued. It’s a synonym of tired.
Sorry, pet hate.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
BGR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Sorry, pet hate.
Haha updated with inactive HTML. I'm a grammar-snob so I'm just as disappointed as you I made that goof.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
BGR
Captain
Rep

Heading back out to the track on Monday, this time with M3 front upper/lower control arms. Fingers crossed for a noticeable improvement in turn-in and reduced understeer.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
beerguy
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M sport vert

Did you notice a difference with the M3 control arms?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
IS+1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (AW 6MT)

The M3 bits alone may not produce a noticeable improvement. I installed the M3 bits along with Dinan camber plates, which was good for -2.0 degrees negative camber up front, which helped a bit, and then noticed a further improvement in turn-in and reduced understeer when I switched from Michelin PSSs to Dunlop Direzza ZIIs (225f/255r in both cases). I find that my car is now quite neutral, and I can even get it to rotate around the slower/sharper corners.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #11
BGR
Captain
Rep

I did actually notice a difference after having just the M3 control arms installed. The front felt tighter and there was definitely less understeer (although still there). I imagine camber plates would help a considerable amount more. I'm also on ZIIs (225/255) and am amazed by this tire.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #12
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
I did actually notice a difference after having just the M3 control arms installed. The front felt tighter and there was definitely less understeer (although still there). I imagine camber plates would help a considerable amount more. I'm also on ZIIs (225/255) and am amazed by this tire.
This car can be very fast if suspension is upgraded properly. I would suggest to install street ground control c.plates and bigger rubber up front. You will be surprised how much faster your car will be going through fast corners.
I run ground control c.plates with m3 conversion kit and r-comp. tires. Front camber is set to 3.8, rear-2.1. Did some weight reduction with minor power upgrade and let me tell you that there is almost no street car that can pass me on any track. Only well driven c6 z06 and very well driven gt3 are faster.
Do not track with any tune if you are fast. I blew my water pump with tune not too long ago. Running detuned now, but these cars with stock power are still very fast.
Appreciate 0