BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

BMW 1M JRZ RS1 Installed

2011 BMW 1M

JRZ RS1

Features

• 22 mm rod strut, 16 mm rod damper
• 24 clicks of rebound
• Adjustable gas pressure, mono tube
• Piston designed for high performance
• Large adjustment range

No other relevant suspension mods.

Installation is straight forward using OE upper mounts front(camber plates are optional) and rear. Spring rates used on the BMW 1M JRZ RS1's are Swift 336 lb/in (6kg) front and 672 lb/in (12kg) rear, more than doubling the front rate and with a 40% increase in rear rate. Helpers are used front to prevent the main springs from unloading and in the rear to allow quick change of the rear springs. Swift thrust sheets are also used to prevent spring rate spikes and to dampen any noise with the coilover springs. Harsh rides generally result from dampers that are not properly valved for the spring rates, but that is not the case with the RS1's, they are valved for a wide range of spring rates and are a perfect match for the rates above. The ride is comfortable, even more comfortable than OE. YES, you read it right! Yet, the entire suspension is well controlled and have much better performance than OE.

JRZ RS1 kept things simple for the users with one damper adjustment, offering just one-way, 24 clicks of damping force adjustments. For the spring rates above we settled on 6 clicks on the front and 5 clicks in the rear for street use. Going up to 10+ front and rear Dr. Jekyll instantly turns to Mr. Hyde, with confident inspiring turn-in at high speeds along with stiffer, but not harsh ride.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
mangotangoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Jrz install 1M

Pm sent
      01-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Hi - How long does it take (and what tools are involved) to make an adjustment?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
Hi - How long does it take (and what tools are involved) to make an adjustment?
Adjustments can be made in minutes without any special tools. Access will need to made in the rear trunk cover for getting to the adjusters.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

OP: how are the JRZ RS1's working out? Still rewarding to drive?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
OP: how are the JRZ RS1's working out? Still rewarding to drive?
JRZ RS1's are great. Minor bugs(leaking and noisy dampers) will be fixed by JRZ under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
JRZ RS1's are great. Minor bugs(leaking and noisy dampers) will be fixed by JRZ under warranty.
I thought this design issue was already resolved by JRZ months ago.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
I thought this design issue was already resolved by JRZ months ago.
Perhaps this was the earlier version. Warranty and service is excellent so it's not really a problem getting the minor bugs fixed.

If there is an issue, people should know about it. Even super high quality dampers will sometimes have issues, but people don't hear about it because the tuner or manufacturer were somehow able to keep it quiet.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
Splinterz88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.86]
Anymore feedback as to your experiences with them?
#446 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Some feedback;

02-17-2012 had installed JRZ-RS1 + Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs. Had some issues, full warranty replacement of all dampers 05-05-2012, rode 7 months without any problems, but last december again problems with noisy and harsh feeling dampers, once again troubles.

So a quick email@JRZ with a description off above. The car (1M BSM) was picked up, I took the engineer for a short ride to let him hear and feel what I was talking about. It was quite shocking for him, this is not how it`s meant to be.

They took the car, all dampers where on full warranty serviced whit correct damping adjustments. Furthermore more heavy duty rubber (Polyurethane) mounting stops, where installed at the back end.

The car was on holiday for 9 days (!!) it took some real effort and an unreal commitment from JRZ to solve the problems.

I`ve never ever seen this kind off commitment in any, and I mean ANY company, what so ever !!

The car is driving like new, no noise, no cracking, no ticking, no nose diving while hard braking, no rolling over in fast cornering, no nothing, just sheer driving fun and a car that is sticking to the road with an unmatched road compliance, this is the way I like it, this is the way it should be.

I do realise I had some bad luck, now sh.t happens I know, but than again, it is all about the way the sh.t is being solved. And oh boy, did JRZ solve it or what? 3 times on a row, but no problems on warranty, no questions asked, none. OK it is not good? Doesn`t matter, we WILL solve the problem(s) !!

And that is just what they did, JRZ kept every promise, no matter what.

I did sent them an mail to thank all JRZ personal for all the more than outstanding service and the commitment!!
I told them also I will return to JRZ with my next BMW M2-M4 !! I`m 100% convinced about JRZ quality and service which is off scale !!

Ok that`s enough, I`m out for a drive, just to enjoy

Last edited by Romo; 02-19-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Romo,

How many months has it been since the last issue and how many miles have you put on the suspension since then?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Romo,

How many months has it been since the last issue and how many miles have you put on the suspension since then?

Last issues began mid december 2012, I did drive from early may 2012 (2nd replacement) till 3th replacement a week ago about 8.000 km / 5000 mls

Driving for a week now after car was brought back from JRZ, with a big smile I must say, it does drive fabulous.

I hope it will last this time, if not, it will take just one email
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
Last issues began mid december 2012, I did drive from early may 2012 (2nd replacement) till 3th replacement a week ago about 8.000 km / 5000 mls

Driving for a week now after car was brought back from JRZ, with a big smile I must say, it does drive fabulous.

I hope it will last this time, if not, it will take just one email

lifetime shock rebuilds WOOHOO! if you can stand the hassles...

( ok.. that was completely tongue in cheek.. )
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Not sure how you can praise JRZ for quality if you had to replace them 3 times in in a year. Shit happens, but 3 times is a little high for a premium suspension. I'm still on the fence as I don't want the inconvenience of rebuilding the dampers every few months as I average 12k miles a year.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #15
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Not sure how you can praise JRZ for quality if you had to replace them 3 times in in a year. Shit happens, but 3 times is a little high for a premium suspension. I'm still on the fence as I don't want the inconvenience of rebuilding the dampers every few months as I average 12k miles a year.

Because the JRZ-RS1 overall performance is superb.

Look at the 1M, there are quiet some issues, lets see;

-Steering squeaking problems
-Front tire rubbing against wheel housing
-Minor cracks on upper stubby of the covering part side mirrors
-Droning sound sound @ 2000-2300RPM
-HPFP failure
-Popping/cracked charge pipe
-Waste gate rattle

To name a few

Is the 1M a bad quality car? It has it flaws, yes, but still a jaw dropping driving machine.

The 1M overall performance is superb, I still can defend the 1M ! So is the JRZ-RS1
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Because the JRZ-RS1 overall performance is superb.

Look at the 1M, there are quiet some issues, lets see;

-Steering squeaking problems
-Front tire rubbing against wheel housing
-Minor cracks on upper stubby of the covering part side mirrors
-Droning sound sound @ 2000-2300RPM
-HPFP failure
-Popping/cracked charge pipe
-Waste gate rattle

To name a few

Is the 1M a bad quality car? It has it flaws, yes, but still a jaw dropping driving machine.

The 1M overall performance is superb, I still can defend the 1M ! So is the JRZ-RS1

I think you are reaching with most of the list of items. they are not common issues for most. The two most relevant are:

Droning sound @ 2000-2300RPM
Popping/cracked charge pipe - ( for some, not a problem for me thus far )

Either way.. I'll wager that none of these items have caused a single 1M owner to go back to the dealer THREE TIMES for a correction. The HPFP issues on other 1 series models are the closest to your JRZ experience.

happy to hear you love the JRZs however, and certainly.. I understand the gist of what you are saying... clearly for you, the overall experience is still positive despite all the issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Just came home after traveling over 800 miles, mostly German Autobahn, to Stuttgart, to see the Porsche and Mercedes Museum, really worthwhile IMO.

It was a beautiful test for the JRZ-RS1, and the car was out of this world, man what a pleasure to drive the 1M with this set up.

I had a friend of mine promised he could drive the car for most of the time, he`s still in shock

He`s so in love with this car that he ordered a ///M135i
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #18
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just came home after traveling over 800 miles, mostly German Autobahn, to Stuttgart, to see the Porsche and Mercedes Museum, really worthwhile IMO.

It was a beautiful test for the JRZ-RS1, and the car was out of this world, man what a pleasure to drive the 1M with this set up.

I had a friend of mine promised he could drive the car for most of the time, he`s still in shock

He`s so in love with this car that he ordered a ///M135i
What is great is that JRZ stands behind their products and make sure the customer is happy.
Appreciate 0