BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #1
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3

Wagner Evo 2 Comp install query

Hey all,

I was having some VTT inlets put on last week, so had my Wagner Evo 2 Comp IC popped on at the same time. I understand some trimming is involved, but mine appears to have had some done that's not seen in the instruction booklet, namely either side of the intercooler core.

My other concern is that it appears to be pushing the underside of my front bar down a touch, and the bolts holding the undertray to the bar are definitely further back in their holes than they were previously. I'll pop some pics up tomorrow when I get some light, but just wanted to check if this is the same as others have experienced, or whether it needs some adjustment.

Thanks,

Dane
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 04:01 PM   #2
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

I've got a EVO 1 and yes its very tight and pushes the undertray down. The 135i tray is a better design, as its flat, whereas the 1M curves up and inwards to line up with the bumper.

The end tank welds (on the ic) were causing alittle headache, so I trimmed the tray with small cuts to help it fit better.
      05-30-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post
I've got a EVO 1 and yes its very tight and pushes the undertray down. The 135i tray is a better design, as its flat, whereas the 1M curves up and inwards to line up with the bumper.

The end tank welds (on the ic) were causing a little headache, so I trimmed the tray with small cuts to help it fit better.
Thanks mate.

I'm glad to hear it's a 1M issue rather than an install issue, but still a little disappointing. It's not terrible or anything, but it definitely sits lower and is causing me to scrape where I didn't before.

Here's a few pics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #4
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone else? Surely we have a few more Wagner intercooler equipped cars on here!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 05:58 PM   #5
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Just installed an EVO2 comp on a 1M (Peter's car)

Was able to get it to fit without cutting the radiator support and just made up some custom brackets to get it to sit further back.

With the bumper:

There's a smaller plastic undertray piece that sits between the bumper and undertray. This is the cause of the bumper being pushed down, I made some cuts into this piece and was able to reinstall it and with no change in ground clearance from stock.
      07-04-2016, 01:28 AM   #6
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Just installed an EVO2 comp on a 1M (Peter's car)

Was able to get it to fit without cutting the radiator support and just made up some custom brackets to get it to sit further back.

With the bumper:

There's a smaller plastic undertray piece that sits between the bumper and undertray. This is the cause of the bumper being pushed down, I made some cuts into this piece and was able to reinstall it and with no change in ground clearance from stock.
I thought that small plastic piece between the core and the undertray was the culprit, but wasn't sure if there was another factory option to get rid of it.

I might get the bumper pulled off when I get my JRZ's put in and have this bit trimmed up. I'm not super happy with the trim of the rad support as it's a bit messy, so will clean this up at the same time.

Thanks Vince!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 04:03 AM   #7
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
I thought that small plastic piece between the core and the undertray was the culprit, but wasn't sure if there was another factory option to get rid of it.

I might get the bumper pulled off when I get my JRZ's put in and have this bit trimmed up. I'm not super happy with the trim of the rad support as it's a bit messy, so will clean this up at the same time.

Thanks Vince!
No worries mate, unfortunately I didn't take any pics but the best way to cut it is to cut out the plastic in the vertical direction. This allows the entire thing to be flexible including the side parts. Should be an easy job, bumper doesn't need to come off, the piece can be removed in 5 minutes from underneath the car.

The intercooler would be a huge pain to remove too, the hose they supplied for the left side is not large enough so you have to stretch it a huge amount, no way you'd be able to reattach from underneath the car. We had to preinstall the hoses then thread the long hose up into the engine.

FYI for anyone who wants to install:

I used two of these clamps I had to offset the mounting holes to get it to fit with no cutting to the rad support. Still had to cut a 10mm lip off the rubber intercooler duct though.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminum-...QAAOSwv0tVOH~c

Because we didn't trim the rad support, the intercooler sat too far back and we needed to offset the mounting points. All the clearances with the hoses were fine, cleared the subframe on the cold side pipe. Make sure you fit the hoses to the cooler before offering it up to the car.
      07-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #8
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
No worries mate, unfortunately I didn't take any pics but the best way to cut it is to cut out the plastic in the vertical direction. This allows the entire thing to be flexible including the side parts. Should be an easy job, bumper doesn't need to come off, the piece can be removed in 5 minutes from underneath the car.
Magic

So they're the small raised parts touching the underside of the core from memory, correct? I figured these are the high points causing the bulging and lack of flex.
Appreciate 0