BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Chrissspyy
www.4ngiefest.com
Rep
Drives: E36/E46/E82

Arrow Car battery covered under warranty?

2009 128i with 33k miles on it. I constantly drive it since it's my only form of transportation and I've never had any problems with it until now. I went to start it a couple days ago and it wouldn't budge. Interior lights and everything would turn on but the car wouldn't crank. The time and everything has not reset either. I figured it's the battery. I jumped it with another car and it was fine.. Drove it about 10 miles and came back. I charged the car over night just to make sure the battery was fully charged and tried starting it again the next morning and I get nothing. I've researched tons of forums to see if people are paying for the battery even though it's supposed to be covered and apparently a lot of people are. WTF. I have an appointment Monday so they can see if it's my battery, alternator, etc. Has anyone had problems with batteries? Was it covered under warranty? It's really aggravating knowing I can't go down the block to the store thinking my car won't start on the way home. Thanks.

Just went to check on the charger and it hasn't moved from 93%.. Seems like it's struggling to charge.
      07-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Batteries are covered under your warranty, but from defects in material or workmanship.

But for example , They are able to tell if you left the lights on for 2 nights while you were away for instance. If so.. you have kille dthe battery and it wont recover.

you would be amazed at how many people leave lights on, or comfort access keys IN the car, and end up with dead batteries.

That is why you hear both sides of the story... and no one really confesses to leaving the lights on.

of course you could have a draw, or a bad alternator...
      07-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
...of course you could have ... a bad alternator...
Or a bad IBS unit - both of which are covered under warranty.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Chrissspyy
www.4ngiefest.com
Rep

Ok it's good to know the alternator is also covered as well just in case. I leave my lights on auto all the time and I don't have comfort access. My keys always come out of my car when I'm not in it and I lock my doors every time I step out of it. My car is very basic as well, no iDrive, manual transmission, manual seats.. So it's really bizarre how anything could drain my battery. I don't even leave anything plugged in. I honestly think it's the alternator.
      07-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
Ok it's good to know the alternator is also covered as well just in case. I leave my lights on auto all the time and I don't have comfort access. My keys always come out of my car when I'm not in it and I lock my doors every time I step out of it. My car is very basic as well, no iDrive, manual transmission, manual seats.. So it's really bizarre how anything could drain my battery. I don't even leave anything plugged in. I honestly think it's the alternator.
Thats good to know, but FYI even a base car has about 50 or so control units.... any one of them could be failing internally and be a draw on the system.. In all honesty, BMW alternators are pretty good.. they dont fail as much as you think it may. On the other hand BMW batteries are the worst thing ever invented..

My guess is they will check the battery and it will fail after recharge and they will replace it.

Good Luck.....

p.s. Nice pic in Signature
      07-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Chrissspyy
www.4ngiefest.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
Thats good to know, but FYI even a base car has about 50 or so control units.... any one of them could be failing internally and be a draw on the system.. In all honesty, BMW alternators are pretty good.. they dont fail as much as you think it may. On the other hand BMW batteries are the worst thing ever invented..

My guess is they will check the battery and it will fail after recharge and they will replace it.

Good Luck.....

p.s. Nice pic in Signature
Yeah I'm hoping I won't have any problems on Monday. I just don't want to be paranoid about leaving the house and getting stuck somewhere.

Thanks a lot for your help! And thanks for the compliment. Old pic but it's still cool.
      07-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

It should be replaced under warranty. Demand it, and then get a Battery Tender....
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Chrissspyy
www.4ngiefest.com
Rep

Have an appt at 1:30 today at Global Imports in Atlanta. Woke up today and the charger says my battery is at 45% at 11v. I seriously think the alternator is bad.

Last edited by Chrissspyy; 07-11-2011 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Chrissspyy
www.4ngiefest.com
Rep

Update: Battery is covered under warranty. I will be getting the car back tomorrow because they're making sure it will not get drained again. They're keeping it over night to see exactly what's causing it to drain. He said he'll have answers for me tomorrow morning.