BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2010, 03:15 AM   #1
zizikos
Registered
Greece
Rep
Drives: 135i, JB3, BMW Perf. Susp.

E82 keyfob in the washing machine...

My gf put my key that was in a pocket in the washing machine. It worked for a bit after I dried it and changed the battery, but later it stopped. It does work if I put it in the dashboard, but I need the key to unlock the door. I have comfort access.

I thought that since I have the actual key, they would only charge a minimal amount for the remote part, but they're asking 270 euros for it!

What do I do? I do have the spare, but need a second one.

Is there a chance that it only needs reprogramming? If so, can I do it?

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizikos View Post
My gf put my key that was in a pocket in the washing machine. It worked for a bit after I dried it and changed the battery, but later it stopped. It does work if I put it in the dashboard, but I need the key to unlock the door. I have comfort access.

I thought that since I have the actual key, they would only charge a minimal amount for the remote part, but they're asking 270 euros for it!

What do I do? I do have the spare, but need a second one.

Is there a chance that it only needs reprogramming? If so, can I do it?

The Fob is the expensive part. A new manual key insert, coded to your lock is another 75 Euros. I would take the battery out, and leave it in a warm, dry place for a few days with the battery cover off. Then put in a new battery, and see if it works. If it doesn't work, see if the dealer will cover it under warranty. A new Fob will have to be programmed by the dealer, it is a 5 minute job for a non CA car, with CA it does take longer.
Appreciate 0