BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Smile First Track day ever for the M and myself... Prep? Do's, and dont's??!!

So two mondays from today I will be spending a full day at the NJMP Lightning track in Jersey for an HPDE with the NY Chapter BMWCCA an I can't wait! It will include a couple of class sessions along with approximately 4, 30 minute sessions on the track with an in-vehicle instructor.

From what I've read properly prepping the car is a necessity and I am hoping some track rats and others with way more experience than myself can point me in the right direction. The two primary concern that I plan to take care of this week are:
  • Brake Fluid
  • Engine Oil
  • Moo-Cool/Water Wetter (maybe)
  • Tire pressures

Others going to the event recommended that I replace my fluid with ATE SuperBlue. Are there any others that I should consider or that may be better from your experiences? Once back from the track should I flush this fluid and replace with OEM brake fluid?

Next is oil and I just received everything from Tischer so that will be taken care of asap .

I remember the 335 track threads talking about coolant and the use of MooCool/water wetter, different coolant. NJ ambients are in the 60/70 degree ranges lately so should I wing it for the first event and see how the car performs at stock?

Are there any recommendations you have for tire pressures and anything else that I should take a look at would be greatly appreciated!

This is my first true track event, a long time coming, and non-competitive so beyond all my biggest concern is to just go out, have an amazing time in the M, and see how I can progress over the day. I already took my M to two AutoX's so far this season and the experience in the car has been like nothing else.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful responses as I look to make these track events a regular (at least monthly) part of me and my 1M!!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
So two mondays from today I will be spending a full day at the NJMP Lightning track in Jersey for an HPDE with the NY Chapter BMWCCA an I can't wait! It will include a couple of class sessions along with approximately 4, 30 minute sessions on the track with an in-vehicle instructor.

From what I've read properly prepping the car is a necessity and I am hoping some track rats and others with way more experience than myself can point me in the right direction. The two primary concern that I plan to take care of this week are:
  • Brake Fluid
  • Engine Oil
  • Tire pressures

Others going to the event recommended that I replace my fluid with ATE SuperBlue. Are there any others that I should consider or that may be better from your experiences? Once back from the track should I flush this fluid and replace with OEM brake fluid?

Next is oil and I just received everything from Tischer so that will be taken care of asap .

I remember the 335 track threads talking about coolant and the use of MooCool/water wetter, different coolant. NJ ambients are in the 60/70 degree ranges lately so should I wing it for the first event and see how the car performs at stock?

Are there any recommendations you have for tire pressures and anything else that I should take a look at would be greatly appreciated!

This is my first true track event, a long time coming, and non-competitive so beyond all my biggest concern is to just go out, have an amazing time in the M, and see how I can progress over the day. I already took my M to two AutoX's so far this season and the experience in the car has been like nothing else.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful responses as I look to make these track events a regular (at least monthly) part of me and my 1M!!
Wheel torque.
      05-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Not that I am a track rat but wouldn't it be better to change your brake pads as well, at least to protect the stocks.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
Wheel torque.
on the lug nuts? Just making sure everything is tight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Not that I am a track rat but wouldn't it be better to change your brake pads as well, at least to protect the stocks.
Considered this but was also considering just running stocks as it being my first time, I will probably not be running at the intensity of a more seasoned driver. But I am open to suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

See also: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646231
      05-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I ran my old car @ 110 degrees weather and was never worried about the coolant.

Since this is your first event ever, just take the car there as is, you will be fine. Just make sure wheels are torqued, all fluid levels full, clear everything from your car etc and go have fun.

Once you get up to speed and doing regular events, you'll then want to get better brake fluid (also a good time for the cdv upgrade)

Have Fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
For first one-day event, brake fluid just needs to be less than a year old.

Start cold tire pressure a couple of pounds low like 34 lbs. Immediately after coming off track, check pressure front left first then front right, then rears, and bleed down to 39 lbs.

When you finish a session and are coming off track, try to stay off the brake and let them cool. Do not stand with your foot on the brake talking to your instructor. If he won't shut up and get out of your car, turn the car off in first gear. Do not use the parking brake. Same thing at your parking space. Do not use the parking brake. Turn the car off in first, and then immediately check tire pressure. Do not torque the wheel bolts while still hot.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post

Start cold tire pressure a couple of pounds low like 34 lbs. Immediately after coming off track, check pressure front left first then front right, then rears, and bleed down to 39 lbs.

When you finish a session and are coming off track, try to stay off the brake and let them cool. Do not stand with your foot on the brake talking to your instructor. If he won't shut up and get out of your car, turn the car off in first gear. Do not use the parking brake. Same thing at your parking space. Do not use the parking brake. Turn the car off in first, and then immediately check tire pressure. Do not torque the wheel bolts while still hot.
Better to check the outer edge of your tires to see how much rollover you're getting and then adjust your tire pressure a few minutes before your next session.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
MMC2489
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe

Quote:

That is absolutely correct. Especially when you run in MDM. Your rear brakes will get really really hot. I have seen rear brake lines pop while guys are getting out of their cars after coming off track. They put the E brake on and POP!

Another thing that may not be to big of a deal in 1M's. But is a big deal in Porsche Turbos is that you should let the engine idle for a minute or two to let the turbos get back down to optimal temp. In the 911's there was a possibility that the turbos could warp their veins and become unbalanced. I idle my 1M for about 2 minutes just to be sure.

Make sure that you don't got to low on tire pressure. Bad things can happen in worse places on track. The only thing I would do, If you don't have harnesses, is CG Locks. They can help you stay centered using the 3 point seatbelt. You can get them at saferacer.com. Not expensive. Have a blast. Jersey is a great track.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
johnnyb84
Private
Rep
Drives: 1 series M coupe

Apparently there is a saying amongst instructors: "Don't try and impress me, because you won't. And don't try to scare me, cause I already am!"
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Awesome thanks for the fwd to this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Joseph View Post

Once you get up to speed and doing regular events, you'll then want to get better brake fluid (also a good time for the cdv upgrade)

Have Fun.
Thanks for the input. speaking to several guys at the last AutoX who were going to the HPDE they mentioned if anything, the brake fluid, and that was it and its why i was considering. While it is my first event, I do plan on pushing myself to find my limit and see what I can do with it

Quote:
.... bleed down to 39 lbs.

When you finish a session and are coming off track....
Fortunately from common sense and some time at the straight track I am VERY conscious of the brakes and plan on bringing wheel chocks for the paddoc etc and do not plan to stand on them after leaving the track, I already practice this after multiple hot laps at AutoX as I am pretty aggressive on the braking there

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
...rollover...
Started keeping an eye on this with AutoX. Had something interesting happen though, I thought I was getting a bit of rollover but ended up later removing pressure because i seemed to be getting abnormal wear in the center of the wheel and traction for the conditions was lackluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC2489 View Post
..... in MDM. Your rear brakes get hot....

.... let the engine idle...

...Make sure that you don't got to low on tire pressure. ... is CG Locks...
I plan on running with traction off. Got comfortable with this at AutoX. With the turbos i will definitely let it idle a few minutes regardless and plan to keep an eye on pressures. I will look into CG locks!

and Johnnyb LOL.

thanks for all of the great feedback guys keep it coming!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Does anyone know if these event still has open spots?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99

• Brake Fluid
  • Engine Oil
  • Tire pressures

I was there a few weeks ago with NASA. Your stock car is fine. No need to mess with tire pressures and all of that crap. Just go out, listen to your instructor and enjoy. You are going to have a blast and the 1m is great on track! I am going to check to see if this event is sold out or not. If not and I do not have work conflicts I will see you there.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #14
Splinterz88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.86]
OP: your stock car should be fine. I'm not sure since I haven't looked at the ny tech sheet, but they might ask for the brake fluid to be flushed if it's more than 6 months since the last one. We may be in the same run group. Name is Art and I'll be running a BSM 1M.
#446 of 740
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #15
toni8284
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterz88
OP: your stock car should be fine. I'm not sure since I haven't looked at the ny tech sheet, but they might ask for the brake fluid to be flushed if it's more than 6 months since the last one. We may be in the same run group. Name is Art and I'll be running a BSM 1M.
Oh well, two 1M are going is not good enough. 3 1M going are better!!! And mine is VO, and I think I might be the same group as you guys are. Btw, my name is Toni. See you guys there. It's my third track day but my first at lighting.
2014 F10 M5 LCI (SOLD)
2011 VO 1M (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #16
Splinterz88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.86]
Nice. This will be my first time at lightning but my 4th track day. I think we may have met at an impromptu g2g at Plymouth meeting mall this past fall. Looking forward to see you.
#446 of 740
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #17
toni8284
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterz88 View Post
Nice. This will be my first time at lightning but my 4th track day. I think we may have met at an impromptu g2g at Plymouth meeting mall this past fall. Looking forward to see you.
Yes, we did.

I remembered your front license plate
2014 F10 M5 LCI (SOLD)
2011 VO 1M (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #18
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Yes they do ask if brake fluid is new within 6 months. I took delivery in October last yess and have about 5k on the clock.

So let me throw this out there... Oil was last changed in December after break ij and has about 3500 loved (harder) miles on it and two hard autox events. Should I put in fresh fluid before or wait until after to change it??

Awesome i look forward to seeing you guys there! !!

I was on the wait list but taken off so maybe more spots opened up? I will be crashing and taping up my car at the local holiday inn express the day before. Pm if you need info on the place!

Last edited by firechicken99; 05-13-2012 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #19
firechicken99
Major
Rep

any thoughts on the oil?

Ordered a bunch of new gear that will be here before the weekend

6 Days!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #20
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
any thoughts on the oil?

Ordered a bunch of new gear that will be here before the weekend

6 Days!!!
Your oil should be good for at least another 3k miles. Autox is nothing more than spirited driving.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #21
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Your oil should be good for at least another 3k miles. Autox is nothing more than spirited driving.
Yeah I was going to change it before the event but I think now I will hold off until after!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #22
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb84 View Post
Apparently there is a saying amongst instructors: "Don't try and impress me, because you won't. And don't try to scare me, cause I already am!"
heheheheh!

my recommendations are the same as many others.

Leave the car alone.. BONE stock is just fine. If new brake fluid is required then go ahead and flush it. You will certainly be just fine with factory fluid at right around 6-7 months. If you do swap fluids, personally, I would skip the ATE super Blue (and it's propensity to color your brake fluid reservoir) and go with Motul or Castrol SRF which are both far superior. I personally use SRF.

Traction control... I believe NJMP has lots of run off... but it would still be wise to keep MDM on for a few sessions as you feel out the track.... Get in the car at your first DE and turn off the traction control on your first run, and yeah.. If I was your instructor I would be scared myself. As a matter of fact... i wouldn't let you out of the paddock.

You know when it's perfectly acceptable to take baby steps? when you are a baby. And at the track thing.... you are a baby. No insult here.. just stating the facts. Not hatin' on your autocross skillz, because I am an autocrosser too! So take it easy.. work your way up... keep the shiny side up and the traction control on for a little while, and take note of where it's going blinky blinky.... because once you do turn it off... that's where your car potentially will be a handful. So.. consider those sessions with MDM on as RECONNAISSANCE

To be perfectly honest.... there's just not a lot of need in the green or D level run group to have the traction control off.... You need to learn the track... work on steering inputs... learn where the corner stations are... manage traffic.... etc.. SO many more things to worry about than the traction control being all the way off. One of the things that you shouldn't have to worry about....? spinning your 1M and getting an invitation to speak with whoever is running Black Flag when you are in the novice group. No bueno.

The best way to have the most fun at your first DE? Listen to your instructor and bring the car home.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 05-15-2012 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0