BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-13-2017, 05:37 PM   #199
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAV13 View Post
Has anyone have any experience with the "3 day trial"? I am extremely interested in this tune as previously stated however as I have not driven/ridden in a 1 series with this tune and i'm not sure if i want to make a ~$800 investment in something i'm not 100% sold on. One of my more hesitant reasons is the pops/burbles, i find the intoxicating. Its not that i dont believe anyone who says they are retained on a PPK/135is vehicle but there are so many conflicting reports without definitive proof (I know i'm beating a dead horse here but without personal experience you cant ever be sure). I have reached out to my local dealer and gotten pricing and have asked them if they could connect me with someone local who has had it done but i haven't heard anything since. Is anyone local to the Westchester, NY/Fairfield, CT area with the tune? Would love to hear/experience the tune in person prior to making my decision if at all possible.
You could always punch a hole in your exhaust to get the pops, burbles, and crackles.....
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 07:10 PM   #200
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 Le Mans 135i Vert

Wow, the 4 hour install took 4 DAYS!!! Dropped off Friday and didn't get it back until this morning. Had to drive the car back to work in traffic so I couldn't open it up.

The dealer is telling me they got it done this morning but I have my doubts until the butt dyno later tonight. I did call the local indy shop to set up an appointment to verify the dealer's install but he told me to give it a few days before I pay him a visit to see if I notice anything. I did give the indy my VIN and he can see that the stupid dealership had downloaded the software 5 times since Friday lol!!! I hope they didn't screw me!

That being said, I did notice a slight difference in pulling when I did have a small chance to do so. I also noticed that the little acceleration delay when coming to a stop seems to be gone. Though I don't know how much of that is placebo on $825. Woe is me.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 09:32 PM   #201
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 135i N55 FBO

Picking up a 135is tomorrow. I like the Dinan sale, any benefit going with MHD compared? I see people talking about MHD but it's relatively new. Haven't researched it yet. One step at a time

1. Acquire vehicle
2. Mod
Appreciate 1
Dthltm77.00
      02-14-2017, 04:49 AM   #202
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inevitab1e View Post
Picking up a 135is tomorrow. I like the Dinan sale, any benefit going with MHD compared? I see people talking about MHD but it's relatively new. Haven't researched it yet. One step at a time

1. Acquire vehicle
2. Mod
MHD is fully DIY. Meaning you can perform different flashes for different tunes. There's a big community that are working on custom flash tunes.

But here's the catch for those of us with the newer DME. We require a bench flash since your 135is and my car are both 2013 models. So far, unless something has changed recently, MHD has not been successful in getting the newer DME unlocked. This is probably why Cobb abandoned support for 2012 and newer 135s. MHD was able to get a single flash onto the newer DME but subsequent attempts have failed. There's also a MHD user in Australia who appears to have bricked his DME. I haven't seen an update from said user about what the final outcome was/is. With those two situations at play, I decided to stop waiting and go with a Dinan flash that is known to work and won't brick my DME in the process.

I've stated earlier in this thread. I have no time or patience anymore to deal with tuning issues. I may not get the ultimate horsepower for a specific level of tune but I'm not campaigning my car on the pro circuit either.

The fact I can go back to a physical dealer if I develop issues with whatever they did to my car along with the driveability improvements I've documented makes the cost of the tune, especially at the current price, totally worth it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 08:00 AM   #203
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
MHD is fully DIY. Meaning you can perform different flashes for different tunes. There's a big community that are working on custom flash tunes.

But here's the catch for those of us with the newer DME. We require a bench flash since your 135is and my car are both 2013 models. So far, unless something has changed recently, MHD has not been successful in getting the newer DME unlocked. This is probably why Cobb abandoned support for 2012 and newer 135s. MHD was able to get a single flash onto the newer DME but subsequent attempts have failed. There's also a MHD user in Australia who appears to have bricked his DME. I haven't seen an update from said user about what the final outcome was/is. With those two situations at play, I decided to stop waiting and go with a Dinan flash that is known to work and won't brick my DME in the process.

I've stated earlier in this thread. I have no time or patience anymore to deal with tuning issues. I may not get the ultimate horsepower for a specific level of tune but I'm not campaigning my car on the pro circuit either.

The fact I can go back to a physical dealer if I develop issues with whatever they did to my car along with the driveability improvements I've documented makes the cost of the tune, especially at the current price, totally worth it.
Thanks for the info, I read somewhere about the DME or bench flash that was only before production date 2/2012? Or maybe it was after.

I guess it's better to put bolt on mods like intake, chargepipe, FMIC etc before getting the ECU upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 08:05 AM   #204
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I read somewhere about the DME or bench flash that was only before production date 2/2012? Or maybe it was after.

I guess it's better to put bolt on mods like intake, chargepipe, FMIC etc before getting the ECU upgrade.
It's definitely after. I might have attempted to do the MHD flash even with the incident of the one person in Australia apparently bricking his DME. But with both a bench flash required and an outlier of a possible bricked DME from a normal flash procedure, I decided not to wait for MHD to figure out how to unlock the newer DMEs and be the first guinea pig in the field to have a problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 12:16 PM   #205
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's definitely after. I might have attempted to do the MHD flash even with the incident of the one person in Australia apparently bricking his DME. But with both a bench flash required and an outlier of a possible bricked DME from a normal flash procedure, I decided not to wait for MHD to figure out how to unlock the newer DMEs and be the first guinea pig in the field to have a problem.
Ah,
Don't they have a stage 1 and a stage 1+ for the newer ecu's?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #206
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ah,
Don't they have a stage 1 and a stage 1+ for the newer ecu's?
You're not quite understanding. Yes they have different stage tunes to offer based on the mods you have on your car. The issue is per the date you listed, the newer DMEs after that date which you and I are a happy club member cannot be flashed directly. The DME has to be unlocked first. As I said, Cobb didn't want to put the development work into it so those of us with the new DME were SOL there. So it left three options which are guarnateed to work: BMW PPK, JB4, or Dinan tune. The BMW one is obvious as to why it works on the newer DMEs. The JB4 is a piggy back so it doesn't even touch the DME. And then there's Dinan. I seem to recall Steve Dinan said they spent about $600k a year on a software team which was dedicated in breaking/unlocking the DMEs. That's why they were able to sell tunes for vehicles with DMEs that were locked by BMW. And this is why I suspect MHD is running into issues trying to do what Dinan has already accomplished. I'm not doubting they can achieve the same success. But how long do we have to wait and what's the journey to get there?

So the issue isn't if MHD has different tunes for the N55. It's because they haven't been able to unlock the newer DMEs.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #207
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Does this Dinan tune really need to "Learn" anything? Since yesterday when I got my car back I have been blessed with the typical Los Angeles rush hour traffice both to from and back to work again. Don't know if I can open it up until the weekend. They didn't tell me anything special at the dealership. So I ask does it really need to learn anything or is everything already programmed into the software?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #208
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodz View Post
Does this Dinan tune really need to "Learn" anything? Since yesterday when I got my car back I have been blessed with the typical Los Angeles rush hour traffice both to from and back to work again. Don't know if I can open it up until the weekend. They didn't tell me anything special at the dealership. So I ask does it really need to learn anything or is everything already programmed into the software?
Some people say it needs to adapt, while others say it's good right out of the box. When I drove home that day from getting the tune (which was on a freeway with some empty areas) I felt the difference immediately, but that night I went out on a basically empty freeway and did some hard pulls through the gears. Do I think it felt different afterward? TBH no, not really. At the time, I THOUGHT it felt better after the pulls, but I think that was just wishful thinking on my part. But I'd say wind that baby out, if for anything just to see and feel the difference and what it can do. Just be careful and don't get a ticket, or worse.

Last edited by Esteban; 02-14-2017 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #209
overklok
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M8 Competition X2 M35i

I had this upgrade done last weekend. It definitely makes a difference. I have 2103 135is with a DCT, it should have come from the factory this way. The extra torque and horsepower are noticeable, shifts are quicker, power delivery is linear though the RPM range.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #210
Chaotic317
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by overklok View Post
I had this upgrade done last weekend. It definitely makes a difference. I have 2103 135is with a DCT, it should have come from the factory this way. The extra torque and horsepower are noticeable, shifts are quicker, power delivery is linear though the RPM range.
Agreed if you have warranty don't waste your time on JB4 or MHD. As far as 2012+ locked DMEs I have a local 135i who got tuned by Frank in MD. He's pushing a healthy 508rwtq and I believe 47xwhp. So I mean you just have to look. But his was an actual tune with dyno etc. I on the other hand know what Frank can do. I won't be heading his way until A. my warranty is over or B. I decide to go with a better turbo than stock. Time will tell. Also went vs. a JB4 tuned 135i and he kept going into limp mode. I'd be pissed. He's soon going to get the Dinan a flash before the sale ends.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #211
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You're not quite understanding. Yes they have different stage tunes to offer based on the mods you have on your car. The issue is per the date you listed, the newer DMEs after that date which you and I are a happy club member cannot be flashed directly. The DME has to be unlocked first. As I said, Cobb didn't want to put the development work into it so those of us with the new DME were SOL there. So it left three options which are guarnateed to work: BMW PPK, JB4, or Dinan tune. The BMW one is obvious as to why it works on the newer DMEs. The JB4 is a piggy back so it doesn't even touch the DME. And then there's Dinan. I seem to recall Steve Dinan said they spent about $600k a year on a software team which was dedicated in breaking/unlocking the DMEs. That's why they were able to sell tunes for vehicles with DMEs that were locked by BMW. And this is why I suspect MHD is running into issues trying to do what Dinan has already accomplished. I'm not doubting they can achieve the same success. But how long do we have to wait and what's the journey to get there?

So the issue isn't if MHD has different tunes for the N55. It's because they haven't been able to unlock the newer DMEs.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was under the impression MHD had tunes for this DME, but after a bench flash or whatever. An extra step needed to get it done. I guess I'll have to go the Dinan route with the sale.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 11:25 PM   #212
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Do any of you with an n55 have a p3 gauge? Can you tell me what boost reading you are getting with this Dinan tune please? Any of you n55'rs recall what that p3 read at stock as well? Thanks! I have a MY 12 and should have checked what boost I was getting before I did the Dinan s2... but I forgot. I haven't gone WOT yet but I did see 12psi earlier though I don't know how accurate the p3 gauge is.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #213
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well, got to go WOT today on the freeway onramp an the highest I saw was 12psi on my p3 gauge. Does that sound right guys?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 01:44 PM   #214
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Well, got to go WOT today on the freeway onramp an the highest I saw was 12psi on my p3 gauge. Does that sound right guys?
Stage 2 peaks at 12.6 PSI at about 5000 RPM so you are right in the general window.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 02:04 PM   #215
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Stage 2 peaks at 12.6 PSI at about 5000 RPM so you are right in the general window.
Oh wow, thanks for the reply!!!! I was only asking as I was having difficulty believing my dealer did my install properly. I believe they had an inexperienced tech handle my car and an install that was supposed to take an hour or so took 4 DAYS!!!

I called the local indy shop who is a Dinan authorized dealer and they looked into it for me and noticed the Dealership had downloaded the software 5 times. I also had a dashcam running while they were doing the install and they looked so confused trying to do the install haha. Their excuse to me was that they were having connection issues with Dinan. My dashcam shows them working on my car but why would they even be doing that if they, as they claimed, didn't have a complete download of the software? Anyways it is good to know they finally prevailed on Monday but I hope you can see why I would doubt they did a successful install.

Oh, they revved the crap out of my car during their trial and error process and took down like half a tank of gas as well. I wasn't happy about that at all. I won't say the dealership because they eventually got it working but if you want to know just ask.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #216
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh wow, thanks for the reply!!!! I was only asking as I was having difficulty believing my dealer did my install properly. I believe they had an inexperienced tech handle my car and an install that was supposed to take an hour or so took 4 DAYS!!!

I called the local indy shop who is a Dinan authorized dealer and they looked into it for me and noticed the Dealership had downloaded the software 5 times. I also had a dashcam running while they were doing the install and they looked so confused trying to do the install haha. Their excuse to me was that they were having connection issues with Dinan. My dashcam shows them working on my car but why would they even be doing that if they, as they claimed, didn't have a complete download of the software? Anyways it is good to know they finally prevailed on Monday but I hope you can see why I would doubt they did a successful install.

Oh, they revved the crap out of my car during their trial and error process and took down like half a tank of gas as well. I wasn't happy about that at all. I won't say the dealership because they eventually got it working but if you want to know just ask.
Was this Crevier by chance? They apparently have some corporate firewall on their end that interferes with the download process and their IT guys haven't figured out how to make it work smoothly. That's the only dealer I have heard of that at but I guess it could happen with other dealers if they use whatever software that is I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 02:41 PM   #217
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep

It was not Crevier. But I did have Amir from Avus Autosport Inc. check to see what this dealership was doing and he said there were 5 downloads of the software. The dealership also told me that they were in contact with you (Dinan) about how to get the software successfully installed on my car. Amir on the other hand told me he could do the whole thing in under an hour on my lunch break and I believe him.

Quote:
Was this Crevier by chance? They apparently have some corporate firewall on their end that interferes with the download process and their IT guys haven't figured out how to make it work smoothly. That's the only dealer I have heard of that at but I guess it could happen with other dealers if they use whatever software that is I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #218
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
What is stock boost level Mr. Dinan Engineer?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 04:34 PM   #219
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
What is stock boost level Mr. Dinan Engineer?
Peaks at 9.4.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 05:33 PM   #220
Cmoney135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Getting stage 2 tomorrow, can not wait to drive my car again.
Appreciate 0