BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
Toker335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i/Sold--10" GTR

M3 Suspension stuff or aftermarket?

Ive been noticing a lot of people using M3 Front sway/ rear sways and stuff, but have also noticed people using H&R and Hotchkis and stuff. Is there a huge difference? Im looking to get better handling as much as i can can't decide on the OEM M3 stuff or to go aftermarket? already plan on getting KW coilovers
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toker335i View Post
Ive been noticing a lot of people using M3 Front sway/ rear sways and stuff, but have also noticed people using H&R and Hotchkis and stuff. Is there a huge difference? Im looking to get better handling as much as i can can't decide on the OEM M3 stuff or to go aftermarket? already plan on getting KW coilovers
I'm using the Hotchkis front bar, along with the M3 front control arms, and that works great. Very nice improvement over stock. I'm still on the stock springs and shocks though. But the M3 front bar may work fine also. The Hotchkis bar is stiffer, and since I'm on stock springs I thought that would be good.

I tried an aftermarket rear bar, and while it handled better, I got a lot more wheelspin at the autox, and it was harder to put down power. I took it off after 2 weeks. I'd put it back on if I had a LSD, but until then I'll stay with the stock rear bar.
      12-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt97m3 View Post
I tried an aftermarket rear bar, and while it handled better, I got a lot more wheelspin at the autox, and it was harder to put down power. I took it off after 2 weeks. I'd put it back on if I had a LSD, but until then I'll stay with the stock rear bar.
Exactly what we ended up doing! We were finally able to reinstall a rear sway after we got an OS Giken diff.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toker335i View Post
OEM bars from the E90/92 M3 are properly matched to the 135/335 chassis. The H&R and Hotchkis parts are too stiff for a properly setup car but I imagine that the marketing department over there wants cars to have less body roll.

My 2 cents: OEM BMW M3 bars. Car will have slightly more body roll since they are softer but will have more overall mechanical grip. Plus you be as prone to picking up and and spining the inside rear wheel like CPT and I had trouble with. The only solution to that is an actual clutch type LSD from OS Giken or Drexler.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post
OEM bars from the E90/92 M3 are properly matched to the 135/335 chassis. The H&R and Hotchkis parts are too stiff for a properly setup car but I imagine that the marketing department over there wants cars to have less body roll.

My 2 cents: OEM BMW M3 bars. Car will have slightly more body roll since they are softer but will have more overall mechanical grip. Plus you be as prone to picking up and and spining the inside rear wheel like CPT and I had trouble with. The only solution to that is an actual clutch type LSD from OS Giken or Drexler.
Just curious, why is the clutch-type LSD the "only solution" to inside-rear wheelspin? I mean vs. the Quaife or other torque-sensitive LSD? I know almost nothing about LSDs, just curious. (I mean, I gather the Quaife is more of a street LSD rather than a full-blooded race LSD, right?)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Just curious, why is the clutch-type LSD the "only solution" to inside-rear wheelspin? I mean vs. the Quaife or other torque-sensitive LSD? I know almost nothing about LSDs, just curious. (I mean, I gather the Quaife is more of a street LSD rather than a full-blooded race LSD, right?)
Many clutch type LSD's will chatter and click when you're in low speed situations such as parking lot type maneuvers. It sounds similar to making a Uturn on a car with a bad CV joint.

The OS Giken is a clutch type LSD that works under acceleration and braking and will keep both wheels locked even when you have the inside rear tire lifting slightly.

The Quaife is a gear type LSD which is similar to what you find on many OEM applications. They are typically lifetime use as there are no clutch discs to wear out but only work on acceleration and when both tires have good traction.

Both the OS Giken & Quaife are silent and make no noise on the street.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
cino335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335

m3 control arms, sways definately....i also like the koni yellows with the swift coilovers...awesome set up
Appreciate 0