BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #155
Zeus78
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Comp. Mineral White

Funny story... Was in BMW dealer here in Canada to install BMW performance short shift.

Forgot to uninstall Cobb... MY ECU port cover open (like I never cover it), Cobb and cable in glove compartment...

I was crapping bullets... All good though. The tech was in it thought, he asked me if i lost my ECU port cover I said it must of fell off when I hit a bump... right... smiled and told me to enjoy my short shift.

Just saying, these guys are enthusiasts just like us!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #156
slow35i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 13' glacier silver 328xi

I'm a BMW tech and what I've noticed when I get anything with n54, dinan software will usually come up with DME coding errors, also if you had it done at a dinan dealer and you bring it into a non dinan dealer for something turbo for example, it would not be covered at that dealer take it back to the dinan dealer ,also when this is done it is now in the BMW system so now any dealer in the country can see in the comments section that it has dinan software

I've also found unknown brand piggybacks that look just like the jb+ , usually throw boost manipulation faults , and other manipulation faults

When we hook up the car to the isid and finish doing our thing to it, we exit to the main menu and when that happens a copy of our session and the vehicle info is sent to new jersey

We have a gt1 but its in the back room collecting dust

BMW can see what's been done to the DME in shadow memory , they usually tell us when we talk to the big guys in jersey
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #157
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

FWIW ive never had the dealer comment on cobb, i just uninstall it before taking the car in. My dealership isnt thrilled about my dci of all things, so i need to remove it before theyll do cpo work. Midpipes and fmic didnt seem to cause an issue either, they specifically singled out the dci as grounds to void warranty. Not complaining though, ill toss the stock box back on and all should be good.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #158
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow35i View Post
I'm a BMW tech and what I've noticed when I get anything with n54, dinan software will usually come up with DME coding errors, also if you had it done at a dinan dealer and you bring it into a non dinan dealer for something turbo for example, it would not be covered at that dealer take it back to the dinan dealer ,also when this is done it is now in the BMW system so now any dealer in the country can see in the comments section that it has dinan software

I've also found unknown brand piggybacks that look just like the jb+ , usually throw boost manipulation faults , and other manipulation faults

When we hook up the car to the isid and finish doing our thing to it, we exit to the main menu and when that happens a copy of our session and the vehicle info is sent to new jersey

BMW can see what's been done to the DME in shadow memory , they usually tell us when we talk to the big guys in jersey

Thanks for posting. Its an interesting perspective on our "tuned" 1er's.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #159
ahon_hassan
Alex hassan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i M package

Can they detect axle back exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #160
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahon_hassan View Post
Can they detect axle back exhaust
Yes, as long as their eyes(& ears) are working.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #161
ChristianReyess
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:

I haven't read the whole thread, but with a JB4 you can delete all the codes that are thrown and according to terry at burgrtunning you can select to put the JB4 on "sleep mode" wich is said to be unditectable... true? \
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #162
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

there are shadow codes that i believe can only be read with a gt/can tool, bottom line is if a dealer really wants to know, theyll know. Ive taken my car in after removing cobb 3 times now, theyve never said a word...be friendly and polite with your sa, thats the best hedge against it imo.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #163
slow35i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Funny today we had a 335 show up to the shop just for maintainance and a lack of power issue , the technician could not hook up to the car through the isid , he calls me over to help him figure out why the diagnostic head would not recognize the vehicle , I open the hood and see there is a set of BMS intakes, I think to myself " I bet there is a jb4 in this thing" I go over and press the steering wheel buttons and boom the sub menus come up and sure enough map 1 is selected , I switch it over to map 0 and the diag equipment started working, after we hooked up we found lots of boost manipulation faults , and CAN faults , we cleared them for him and had a little chat with him , we didn't say anything to warranty or managers
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #164
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Funny today we had a 335 show up to the shop just for maintainance and a lack of power issue , the technician could not hook up to the car through the isid , he calls me over to help him figure out why the diagnostic head would not recognize the vehicle , I open the hood and see there is a set of BMS intakes, I think to myself " I bet there is a jb4 in this thing" I go over and press the steering wheel buttons and boom the sub menus come up and sure enough map 1 is selected , I switch it over to map 0 and the diag equipment started working, after we hooked up we found lots of boost manipulation faults , and CAN faults , we cleared them for him and had a little chat with him , we didn't say anything to warranty or managers
Hah! Thanks for posting this. Some guys here are still in denial about shadow codes and voided warranty coverage when the isid scans the car.

Thanks again for being a good guy.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #165
pdr1269
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6mt

What does isid stand for?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #166
slow35i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Integrated Service Information Display, It's the replacement for the GT1 (group tester One) they are dealer diagnostic equipment
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #167
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Quote:
Wow, that was really good of you. Hope the guy appreciates what you did.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #168
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Good info. How likely is a tech who is doing just regular maint work who notices a DCI or something along those lines to put it in the notes on the VIN of the car?
      12-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #169
slow35i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
Good info. How likely is a tech who is doing just regular maint work who notices a DCI or something along those lines to put it in the notes on the VIN of the car?
Not likely under maintenance, if its a runability issue then that's a different story
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #170
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
never hurts to ask the tech or SA directly. be personable, I'm sure my SA knew about my mods but since we got along he repaired my car time and time again and even got me a couple weird goodwill repairs and helped push BMWNA to extend the warranty on my car for free
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #171
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

My SA today was AWESOME. Very helpful younger kid. Will absolutely request him from now on.
      12-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #172
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
It depends on the Tech. How lucky are you feeling>? Why take the risk ?

IF I had a car with lots of mods... I would be doing all the services myself or have an indi shop - I trust do the work. The only time I would see a dealer would be when I needed to take the car in for warranty work(& then I would remove the mods).
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #173
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It depends on the Tech. How lucky are you feeling>? Why take the risk ?

IF I had a car with lots of mods... I would be doing all the services myself or have an indi shop - I trust do the work. The only time I would see a dealer would be when I needed to take the car in for warranty work(& then I would remove the mods).
My tech today said that he works almost exclusively on the N54 platform and sees no problem with a FMIC, catless DPs, even a tune. When it gets to Meth injection or NO2, he can't overlook them.

Anyone in the central mass area that wants a good reasonable tech, I'll get you his name and tech number to schedule directly with him.
      12-05-2012, 02:30 AM   #174
blownwtwinsies
turbztime
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135/M3

This thread makes me depressed.....guess I'll be stock for awhile
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #175
Jmoney
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i BSM/CR

any information on this? i just got a 2012 135i and i want to get a tune from Active Autowerkes. will this tune stay recorded in the ECU?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #176
woahitsholland
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

guys, guys, haha
just take it like a man and if something brakes on the car...... fix it!
Appreciate 0