BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #23
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radorotrex View Post
I have used it 3 times this summer so far and it's great. However, I end up using more than half the bottle on my 261 m rims. The problem with these rims are the split spoke areas that I need to make sure I get a good coverage on. At almost 10 bucks a bottle it gets a little expensive but still worth it given the results.
I have gotten 2 applications on my Mercedes wheels (more intricate design) and 2 on my 135i Sport (not M-Sport) wheels. It has worked out great for me. In addition, when I washed the car this past weekend, and sprayed down the wheels, they were still deflecting the water and the slight brake dust that did stick washed right off with the hose spray. This is after about 4 weeks of being on there.

I probably could've just left them to air dry but I wanted to give them a good cleaning so I cleaned them up with soap and water and reapplied the protectant.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #24
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 LeMans 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
I applied the stuff a week ago, drove through a lot of rain two days after the application, and I must say I'm impressed. There is some dust but not nearly as much as usual for a week. So the stuff works. It will become part of my regular washing routine to reapply.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #25
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

I applied this like 3-4 weeks ago and hadn't been able to get my car washed (except for a quick rinse at a car wash) ever since. It does do an excellent job keeping the rims clean. at the end of the 4 weeks they looked almost as clean as they are right now (I got my car detailed yesterday and haven't applied it, driven about 30-40 miles ever since.

HOWEVER...

I took this to the detailer to ask him to apply it and he almost punched me in the face. He said that I should never ever apply that to my wheels because it's a silicone based product and it eats the factoring coating away. I had some black spots on my wheel that I though was brake dust from regions I missed when applying the spray, but he explained that it was actually the silicone reacting with my tire wax, some shit like that.. anyway, he said that the only way to keep the rims clean without damaging them is to constantly wipe them down (which is a pain in the ass of course). or you can always powder coat it and that supposedly solves a great deal of the problem.

anyway, i'm having second thoughts as to whether to apply this again or not....
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #26
Itanius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunobm View Post
I applied this like 3-4 weeks ago and hadn't been able to get my car washed (except for a quick rinse at a car wash) ever since. It does do an excellent job keeping the rims clean. at the end of the 4 weeks they looked almost as clean as they are right now (I got my car detailed yesterday and haven't applied it, driven about 30-40 miles ever since.

HOWEVER...

I took this to the detailer to ask him to apply it and he almost punched me in the face. He said that I should never ever apply that to my wheels because it's a silicone based product and it eats the factoring coating away. I had some black spots on my wheel that I though was brake dust from regions I missed when applying the spray, but he explained that it was actually the silicone reacting with my tire wax, some shit like that.. anyway, he said that the only way to keep the rims clean without damaging them is to constantly wipe them down (which is a pain in the ass of course). or you can always powder coat it and that supposedly solves a great deal of the problem.

anyway, i'm having second thoughts as to whether to apply this again or not....

Silicone deteriorates the clear coat, eh? Hmm... Need more data.
      09-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #27
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I guess I would need more information before believing this. I haven't seen any issues although I've only been using it for 2 months. How long does it take before the silicone deteioration begins to show?

Also I find it hard to believe that a company would develop a product that would harm factory wheels....won't they have many claims against them if they harm the wheels?

I think that some people are set in their ways about things (which is fine) and tend to state opinions as fact. Then again I could be totally off base and I could walk out to my car after work and see 4 dust piles where my wheels used to be lol...

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #28
james33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lotus Evora

Hmmmm... Being using it for months with no issues on all 4 of my cars. Maybe he just doesn't like Armor All products either...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #29
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

Yeah well I'm kind of skeptical too since it worked so well on my wheels.. but then again the guy has been doing this stuff for his entire life and I only tried it for a month, so something tells me he probably knows more
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #30
james33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lotus Evora

I would think that AA would know a bit more about how their products interact with wheel coatings and finishes than your detailer, since that's what they made it for. AA would be faced with huge lawsuits if their product damaged 90% of the wheels it was used on.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #31
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Historically, Armor All has not been a product that you'd want to use on your car. The silicone is actually quite hard on interior plastics, and tends to not offer any actual protection to plastics, just shiny finishes. However, there's so much wrong with what your service guy told you, for example, those black spots on your wheels are embedded pieces of brake pad lining, not some sort of evil AA spot, and powdercoating doesn't do a thing to change brake dust, stock M wheels are powdered, and they show just as much brake dust, so I'd ignore anything else he told you, no matter how long he's been doing it.

My take is that this product is not the same thing as Armor All Protectant, and silicone isn't going to effect paint, much less aluminum. If you want to CYA, just apply a coat of a good synthetic sealant prior to using the AA wheel stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #32
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Love this stuff too but I'm gonna go broke at $10 for that little can. Maybe I'm to liberal with it but I really only got 3 coatings * 4 wheels out of 1 can. Where's the Costco mega can?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #33
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
Love this stuff too but I'm gonna go broke at $10 for that little can. Maybe I'm to liberal with it but I really only got 3 coatings * 4 wheels out of 1 can. Where's the Costco mega can?
I think I've paid about $7 per can and I've gotten about 4 coatings out of one can. So maybe I'm applying a bit less but you do need to be pretty thorough for it to work right.

If it's lasting an average of 2 weeks X 3 coatings you're getting 6-8 weeks out of a can that means $42 bucks per year. One 17oz bottle of P21s costs almost half that ($17 + tax + shipping). So it's not that expensive in the grand scheme of things. More importantly, the stuff actually works so to me it's worth it.

- Joe Walsh

Last edited by BlackjackMulligan; 09-16-2010 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #34
jmcgraw013
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i Cv

FYI - I picked up two more cans tonight on sale at Target for $5.97 each. This stuff works wonders keeping your wheels clean! Highly recommended!

'11 135i Cabriolet
Crimson Red, CPO, Savanna Beige Lthr, High Gloss, Shadowline
DCT, Prem Pkg, Sp Pkg, Value Pkg, Sirius, Alarm, CA, 264's
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #35
BuckarooVT90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Z4 sDrive35i DCT

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
just picked me up a can from wallyworld... my wheels look horrid!! Can't wait to clean the filth off my wheels and keep it off with this stuff. Do you think this would work in DC on some of our politicians?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #36
mynew135
assistant to the regional manager
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Target has it on sale again for 5.97 until mid october. Love that this stuff is now available in the US.
Appreciate 0