BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

Calling all tuners! Does the M button manipulate the wastegate duty cycle?

A while back there was an interview with the head of M GmbH on the F10 M5 and he mentioned that in that car as well as the 1M, activating the M button on the steering wheel kept the turbos spooled at an optimum RPM for quicker boost.

So just as the title asks, have you guys seen a different wastegate duty cycle when tuning the 1M with the M button activated? I figured the tuners are the best people to ask since the 1M's high flow downpipes were discovered via lower wastegate duty cycles during some dyno runs.

Last edited by ZCP M3; 10-02-2012 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I too am very curious to hear some tuner replies on that. People who actually worked on stock 1Ms intensively, Evolve, GIAC, others.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

As I understand it, having the M button on closes the wastegates, thereby decreasing spool time and speeding the transition from partial to full throttle.

When the M button is off, the wastegates are open which reduces backpressure/pumping losses and increases efficiency/fuel mileage.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
As I understand it, having the M button on closes the wastegates, thereby decreasing spool time and speeding the transition from partial to full throttle.

When the M button is off, the wastegates are open which reduces backpressure/pumping losses and increases efficiency/fuel mileage.

Neil
That's probably the reason why the exhaust pops like crazy when shifting from 1st to 2nd in normal mode, especialy when the engine is cold.
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post

Neil
The above is exactly what I'd love to hear confirmation on from those who are balls deep in the DME. I'm curious if this is true or it's all just more aggressive throttle pedal mapping.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #6
vito747
Private
Rep
Drives: 1 coupe M

up!
I never drive with M mode on, I like to have more "control" on the gas pedal but if that was the case i would probably drive with M mode on almost all the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
Vrumpkin
Seymour J. Vrumpkin
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito747 View Post
up!
I never drive with M mode on, I like to have more "control" on the gas pedal but if that was the case i would probably drive with M mode on almost all the time.
Seriously?

This car earns its keep in M mode Besides the sharper throttle is ideally better for control. Revs build quicker, lag is reduced... I am all for it
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDD View Post
Seriously?

This car earns its keep in M mode Besides the sharper throttle is ideally better for control. Revs build quicker, lag is reduced... I am all for it
It all depends on the driver and where. On the trac, race and autox, it's all about how well you can modulate the throttle and control the boost/torque.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC

Totally agree with the previous post. Until proved otherwise, the M button only changes the throttle pedal mapping. And the last thing you want with that much torque, is a varying throttle response. So I my opinion, it is better to drive with the M button always ON or always OFF. As I drive on the street with DSC in MDM, and track with DSC off, I prefer the more progressive throttle mapping. This means I also always leave the M button OFF !!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Im interested too. I think the 1M has enough power already, but quicker throttle response would be a great thing for a tuner to do. I think the M button is fun, but it is touchy and I have tried it both ways and find it too sensitive for my new-to-M-car posterior. I'm learning to manage the torque and traction still and keep the the nose pointed forward. I don't believe touchy throttle gives you better control. If you believe that try heel and toeing with with a Honda Accord's overboosted brakes or the Acura TSX. Even the Blue Angels put stiffer springs on their sticks for better accuracy and control.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I am 90 % of the time M button OFF too. It is easier and more natural to manage throttle despite the fact that the lag seems more noticeable in default setting. I also noticed that overboost comes more predictable but then hits sharper in default mode which I like. In fact, what I would like to have is best possible response and least possible lag in non-M mode rather than the M mode. Exhaust mods helped already getting there and now I will add a filter plus a charge pipe and will probably stop there.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Im interested too. I think the 1M has enough power already, but quicker throttle response would be a great thing for a tuner to do. I think the M button is fun, but it is touchy and I have tried it both ways and find it too sensitive for my new-to-M-car posterior. I'm learning to manage the torque and traction still and keep the the nose pointed forward. I don't believe touchy throttle gives you better control. If you believe that try heel and toeing with with a Honda Accord's overboosted brakes or the Acura TSX. Even the Blue Angels put stiffer springs on their sticks for better accuracy and control.
You don't necessarily need a tune to get improved throttle response/lessen lag, you can achieve so from some bolt-ons. Aftermarket (or N55) midpipes for one, and an appropriately sized FMIC. I say appropriately because too big of an IC can actually worsen lag.

M button = Sprintbooster. I use it most of the time, except for casual driving/in city traffic/congestion, etc. even though it makes the car more 'edgy' with in engaged, I like the on-demand responsiveness.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #13
vito747
Private
Rep
Drives: 1 coupe M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDD View Post
Seriously?

Yep, it is all about modulation for me, I find lag to be exactly the same if you push the throttle all the way down...
Appreciate 0