BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
Chill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM

Oil Check Light

I'm at 8700 miles and haven't been driving the car much this winter. Got the Tire Pressure alarm few weeks ago which I can understand, after a year all tires were down around 30psi. I just now am getting an Oil Check/Add 1 Qt oil alarm. Is it normal for these new cars to consume oil? I'd like to have the car serviced at this point but know BMW will wait till the computer requests it.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
I'm at 8700 miles [...] I just now am getting an Oil Check/Add 1 Qt oil alarm. Is it normal for these new cars to consume oil?
Not abnormal. Add that qt.

See: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762683
      01-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
willox
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M2,Cayenne

Just top it up,nothing wrong with an engine that uses a little oil
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill
I'm at 8700 miles and haven't been driving the car much this winter. Got the Tire Pressure alarm few weeks ago which I can understand, after a year all tires were down around 30psi. I just now am getting an Oil Check/Add 1 Qt oil alarm. Is it normal for these new cars to consume oil? I'd like to have the car serviced at this point but know BMW will wait till the computer requests it.
The tire pressures likely weren't " down" due to passage of time, but more likely due to cooler weather.

Oil consumption at the rate you have experienced is perfectly normal. As a matter of fact, even two quarts in that amount of mileage shouldn't be a great cause for concern.

Top it off and keep on keepin' on !
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
It8ntez
Is this thing on?
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M, LBB M2

The unknown is if your oil level started off at full from last service. I check what the level after the oil service just so I have a frame of reference to determine if oil consumption is changing and requires attention on my behalf. Miss the days of dipsticks for that engine - man bonding time but I have long since abandoned that fight.

With that said all engines in the same family will vary. Even driving style will affect consumption. My s52 mcoupe would consume a bit on long high speed runs while remain rock steady during times it was babied. My s54 m3 would consume a quart every 4-5k no matter how it was driven and it coincided with my personal oil change schedule so it was like a reminder. My Boss 302 does not use a proverbial drop no matter how I drive it. My 1m started out as full and I just checked it (thanks for the reminder - hehehe) and its still full after 2600 miles.

A lot words to say you are fine. If it was a quart every 3k miles IMHO I would worry.

Btw, I had a prelude Vtech in college that would use a quart every 2-3k miles and Honda said it was normal. Go figure!
Appreciate 0