BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-20-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
bates91
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Anyone had experience with renting out their cars?

Hey all

Just wondering if anyone has been involved with this before or know much about it. Main one i've come across is drivemycarrentals.com.au

Basically i'll be moving soon, within walking distance of university and work so i'll only really be using the car a couple of times a week at most, but could easily do without it for quite some time...

Obviously the smart financial decision would be to sell it and invest money and stuff, but I'm still in two minds about that.
So if i could make some money off it by renting it out then it could be more viable for me to keep it.

Yes i know it's a personal sentimental thing and we all have attachments to our cars and dislike the idea of some complete stranger driving it...however at the same time it is just a lot of pieces of metal..

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

is your car insured for this? if so i got a couple dates lined up where i could use a fast rental
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Hmmm, to me that's like saying I'm going away a fair bit for work lately and the wife is just sitting around at home does anyone want to hire her out?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
:

My opinion is that it's more trouble than it's worth... Renting out your BMW 135 is a terrible idea lol...

Build thread: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1149793
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Bates you obviously haven't driven many hire cars from Hertz Thrifty etc otherwise I can't see you considering this tack. Suggest you hire a merc mini or bmw from Hertz for a day, one of these is typically a few thousand Ks old and give it a good go. You would soon feel how the many previous drivers have thrashed and abused these poor hire cars. Drop the idea, bank the $ for another bimmer in due course.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
skidz
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1mers nuts :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Hmmm, to me that's like saying I'm going away a fair bit for work lately and the wife is just sitting around at home does anyone want to hire her out?

I know some chaps who might be interested, what sorta money we talkn here?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa12 View Post
Bates you obviously haven't driven many hire cars from Hertz Thrifty etc otherwise I can't see you considering this tack. Suggest you hire a merc mini or bmw from Hertz for a day, one of these is typically a few thousand Ks old and give it a good go. You would soon feel how the many previous drivers have thrashed and abused these poor hire cars. Drop the idea, bank the $ for another bimmer in due course.
2nd this...

the 320D loaner i got from BMW was driven like it was stolen... did i wait for it to warm up? no i just hammered it... this is exactly how people would treat your car... Renting your car bad idea IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
sliderpass
Private
Rep
Drives:

Install & hide procede, 4.5k limiter.

If they come back saying somethings wrong with the car, take the keys away
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #9
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Don't forget all the little scratches and dents and curb rashes you're gonna get Insurance is going to be a pain in the butt to get those fixed, you can't go and repaint a whole panel every time.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bates91 View Post
Hey all

Just wondering if anyone has been involved with this before or know much about it. Main one i've come across is drivemycarrentals.com.au

Basically i'll be moving soon, within walking distance of university and work so i'll only really be using the car a couple of times a week at most, but could easily do without it for quite some time...

Obviously the smart financial decision would be to sell it and invest money and stuff, but I'm still in two minds about that.
So if i could make some money off it by renting it out then it could be more viable for me to keep it.

Yes i know it's a personal sentimental thing and we all have attachments to our cars and dislike the idea of some complete stranger driving it...however at the same time it is just a lot of pieces of metal..

Thoughts?
Your keen, I have lent cars to mates over the years and they have come back knackered.
there is no way I would rent or lease any of my toys.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #11
TWD
Australia
Rep
Drives: All sorts of Cars

Just an idea for you - if you decide to rent it out, get a hard wired GPS tracking device installed on the car.

It basically gives you an accurate reading of where the car is at all times.
Also logs speed and acceleration and all places travelled so you can see all this information from your phone or computer.

You can also set speed limits and alarms go off if they are exceeded, etc.
Appreciate 0