BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #23
n54door
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i 6AT FBO - MHD Tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
Unfortunately there's too many stupid people in the country that don't understand when roads say the left lane is for passing. I've heard countless people get upset when people pass and cut them off because they were doing the speed liming, but they were doing it in the wrong lane. These are the only people that I will purposely cut off, to the point of scaring them because they are a hazard on the road. Between the stupid people that don't know how to get over and the dam truckers I don't enjoy driving near as much as I did 15 years ago.
No kidding man! I drove to Florida, and people there have a GREAT understanding of the left lane. In Dallas, not a chance. My guess is traffic is soooo goddamn bad out here people don't give a shit what lane they're in, they just want to be moving, and on their way.

When lanes are wide-open, people have a tendancy to stay out of the left lane. Those days are over in Dallas though. Traffic f'n terrible out here, and it all happened in the last 5 years, at least in the N. Dallas / Plano area. Traffic is stuck at spring creek in the mornings now (going towards Dallas), where it used to be wide open all the way the GWB. F DALLAS TRAFFIC! I'm turning into an asshole on the road because of it!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #24
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

You know I'm really surprised by the number of negative comments to the OP. I didn't auomatically assume what he described was aggresive, dangerous driving, quite the opposite. IMO there are too many people who haven't got the first clue how to properly drive a vehicle, who don't pay attention, or think they are mission from God to slow everybody down. I really don't believe in defensive driving as the optimal way to drive. If you think about it, it's just driving taken to the lowest common denominator. Sorry, call me arrogant, but neither me nor my car are in that catagory. I believe in attentive driving, responsibility and knowing my machines characteristics and limits. Does that mean I sometimes make moves that I know other people who drive 100% defensive, (and I consider timidly) would consider aggresive, yes! Does that mean I purposely try and make people mad, no way! (it's too dangerous in this day and age to do that).
If that makes me a BMW prick, so be it!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #25
NihonX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

I use my blinkers even when I'm the only person on the freeway.

Going the speed limit or even slower on the "slow lane" has almost gotten me side-swiped twice! Both times the other vehicles' tires blew and the car came hurling towards me. (Should have gotten a Bimmer)
I dodge them both, of course, but lesson learned - I no longer let anyone drive next to me at over 40mph. I sprint away from anyone hovering too close to me.
      09-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #26
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
I think slow drivers hate BMW drivers lol.
I've noticed this as well, especially when they're blocking the left lane you come from behind at a high speed. Some of them mover right over which is the proper move but some don't and slow you down. It's like they don't want you to drive faster than the speed limit. Personally I'm like "if you wanna enforce the speed limit join your local Department of Public Safety Squad".

As to the OP, I drive similar sometimes but I DO NOT cut people off and I signal properly and in advance when traveling at a very high rate of speed. Here in Austin we have several local toll roadways that are very smooth and have a speed limit from 75-80mph(legally), rumor is it's going to get bumped up to 85mph

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #27
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
It's like they don't want you to drive faster than the speed limit. Personally I'm like "if you
wanna enforce the speed limit join your local Department of Public Safety Squad".
But in the meantime, GTF outta my way!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #28
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
I've noticed this as well, especially when they're blocking the left lane you come from behind at a high speed. Some of them mover right over which is the proper move but some don't and slow you down. It's like they don't want you to drive faster than the speed limit. Personally I'm like "if you wanna enforce the speed limit join your local Department of Public Safety Squad".

As to the OP, I drive similar sometimes but I DO NOT cut people off and I signal properly and in advance when traveling at a very high rate of speed. Here in Austin we have several local toll roadways that are very smooth and have a speed limit from 75-80mph(legally), rumor is it's going to get bumped up to 85mph
Here in Miami there is two type of drivers. They either drive real fast or real slow. The fast drivers see you in your BMW and automatically think you are going to go triple the speed limit so they get right on your tail. The slow ones see your BMW and cut you off and make you slam your brakes, whether you are going the speed limit or not. Oh! and there is another kind that can apply to both slow and fast drivers. This one I call the Third World driver who ignores all traffic lights and signs and has no auto insurance.

Eibach frontsway,BMS JB4,AFE Drop InBerk Street Axleback, H&R SPORT SPRINGS,Active Autowerke DP's ,Active Autowerke BOV,Active Autowerke FMIC , BMWPEDALS.COM, JB SPEED Black Grills,Alpina B3 TCU Flash
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #29
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
Be aggressive with the road, not with the other drivers. I live by it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #30
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
actually this is just good driving. Majority of people do this in Europe and especially in Germany.

If I am coming up on a driving doing 80mph and someone else is in the same lane going 65mph, I am going to flashing my lights. Why? Because I am already warning you ahead of time that I am coming toward you at a higher rate of speed and it would be advised to move.

'Passing a vehicle only on the left is a very good rule'

This way I can continue on the lane without disrupting any other flow of traffic that may be going on around me or cutting people off, etc.
I miss driving in Europe. Driving in the big crowded cities was a challenge in itself, but on the highways and country roads it was a thing of beauty. Majority of the people on those roads knew how to drive, I really enjoyed going on long drives out there unlike here.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #31
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
I was astonished while driving in Kamloops BC and came across a single lane of cars in a two lane road. All were to the right, so being an American I sped through and passed all of them on the left. Never in the USA.

It is against the Law in Illinois to drive slow in the left lane on the Hwy. People were trying to control the speed of traffic and causing dangerous situations. That said, i'm not certain how many tickets if any have been handed out.

This is why people hate BMW drivers, albeit is a skit. I am certain there are a few arrogant owners, but this is how others see us:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743086

kind of funny but stupid.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #32
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
kind of funny but stupid.
That is hilarious! So how many of those tools do we deal with here every day?
I'm betting more than we think...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #33
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
I agree on this post. But for me, it's not just BMW's. If i see any car cutting people off, not using there blinker, driving like an idiot, spirited driving, tail gating, then cutting you off, i see it as "ricer" driving.
I always use my blinker.