E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > How BMW looks for Piggybacks

01-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
How BMW looks for Piggybacks

So I found a BMW bulletin released by BMW NA on June 2008... Just thought I would share some excerpts:

====================================
Subject
N54 - Various Complaints Caused by Aftermarket "Tuning Kits"

With the integration level of E89X-08-03-530 or higher (introduced with Progman V29.02.00), any alteration to the TMAP sensor signal ("piggyback pox") is detected by setting the DME fault code 2D18 ("Manipulation protection, air mass signal plausibility"). In such a case, the maximum engine torque cannot exceed 400Nm.

Aftermarket N54 DME software modifications usually do not change either programmed or basic DME part numbers, so it is not possible to identify this alteration via DIS/GT1 DME identification pages.

In certain cases, the MSD80 DME software modifications can be detected by executing DIS/GT1 test module "S1214 NG6OBDII/Read codes" (reading of the OBD readiness codes). If the readiness code for the "Fuel Tank Ventilation" shows "XXX" (instead of "yes" or "no"), this is an indication that evaporation system function is not supported by the DME and the original BMW software was altered.

(In this situation, when using the aftermarket scanning tool for checking readiness monitors, the Evaporation System status would be displayed as "Not Supported".)

In such a case, the vehicle is not compliant with the federal (EPA) and state (CARB) emissions anti-tampering laws.

================================================

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

so are the JB3/PROcede manipulating the Fuel tank/Evaporation systems? how does it tie in?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

since June 08 - there has been quite a few tuned cars that have gone to the shop for high dollar warranty work and none of them have gotten caught with tunes. I think we'd know by now.

But I guess on the other hand - they are smart enough to know that these cars have wastegate and HPFP issues regardless of tune...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Hmmm. . .
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

The fuel tank stuff was their way of detecting a dinan flash... dinan fixed that in the later versions...

If you search, you will see this exact thing was posted last year, back when 29.2 had just come out. The tuners already found a way around all of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Let's just hope BMW doesn't switch to actually contacting EPA and CARB for non-compiant cars. The EPA fines are huge for tampering with emmissions systems!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi AW/Saddle

This isnt FALSE...

I threw this code recently when i brought my car to the dealership.

I had a SSTT and JB3 on my car prior to bringing this in.

I first brought the car in while i was on SSTT and brought it in for a brake nosie and had no problems or anything.

Than after few weeks i had JB3 for like 3 weeks and i had loud wastegate noise so i brought it in and told them bout what i had.

They told me that i had a hidden code 2d18 and said there was a manipulating in the Air Flow Sensor or some kinda thing.

I kept telling the dealer ONLY thing i ever done to the car was a AIR INTAKE. So he kinda told me to put back the stock intake and bring it back and he will proceed with the warranty. As of now he sent my car back that day saying they couldnt proceed.

My worries are that MOST if not ALL cars are throwing these types of codes but dealer doesnt check thru it until you mention TURBO NOISE or Some sort of relevence problem leading from a aftermarket tune.

I know all tuners are stating its not tracable but i was traced. Maybe perhabs it was REALLY the intake.

thinking to bring in my car with stock in take soon but is there a way to get rid of this code?

What are my choices now?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
The fuel tank stuff was their way of detecting a dinan flash... dinan fixed that in the later versions...

If you search, you will see this exact thing was posted last year, back when 29.2 had just come out. The tuners already found a way around all of it.
Why would Dinan need to fix it... there is actually a blatant note in the BMW computer that my car has Dinan software on it... there's no reason to have to hide Dinan...

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #9
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exidisjon View Post
This isnt FALSE...

I first brought the car in while i was on SSTT and brought it in for a brake nosie and had no problems or anything.

Than after few weeks i had JB3 for like 3 weeks and i had loud wastegate noise so i brought it in and told them bout what i had.

They told me that i had a hidden code 2d18 and said there was a manipulating in the Air Flow Sensor or some kinda thing.

I kept telling the dealer ONLY thing i ever done to the car was a AIR INTAKE. So he kinda told me to put back the stock intake and bring it back and he will proceed with the warranty. As of now he sent my car back that day saying they couldnt proceed.

My worries are that MOST if not ALL cars are throwing these types of codes but dealer doesnt check thru it until you mention TURBO NOISE or Some sort of relevence problem leading from a aftermarket tune.

I know all tuners are stating its not tracable but i was traced. Maybe perhabs it was REALLY the intake.

thinking to bring in my car with stock in take soon but is there a way to get rid of this code?

What are my choices now?
You're right... dealerships don't check your ECU or investigate any modifications to your ECU unless an ECU tune is in the differential for engine/drivetrain malfunction.

Ideally, if someone tunes their car and breaks the engine because of their tune, they would own up to it and take some responsibility for messing up their own engine... as opposed to committing warranty fraud and trying to point the finger at BMW... I think the vast majority of people using JB and PROcede are not willing to step up and claim fault and would rather blame the problem on BMW (Of course, I'm not referring to HPFP failures or wastegates, as those are already known to be stock problems and should be fixed under BMW warranty).

Anyways, I just posted this up for the general knowledge of the members on this board. The more you know, the better, right?

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #10
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
This isnt FALSE...

What are my choices now?
Running an intake will not trigger the manipulation/warranty code. Even when running it with a tune. You tripped the code because of your JB3 inducing excessive fuel demands in the 3000-4500rpm range. I assume it's been cold where you live, right? The colder/denser air will increase fuel demands unless met with an appropriate reduction in boost pressure.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Totally agree with your statement. Do we have any idea in how many people actually broke their cars because of a tune in general? I have been reading this forum for a while and never heard of total failures tune related.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:

What are my choices now?
The code can be cleared as I read until now, using a GT1 scanner (you must find a shop with such a scanner). But once your dealer notified BMW that your car had this code...this is a big problem. If you checked the car for codes before going to the dealer you would have been fine...but now I don't know...you could try to clear the code and go to the dealer again, see how it goes...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

Gt1

Would it make sence to buy a GT1 ourselve?

Like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GT1-B...9450QQtcZphoto

?

It's 1000 bucks...

But I know that the gt1 software runs on unix and here they look like to sell it on a windows platform .....
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi AW/Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Running an intake will not trigger the manipulation/warranty code. Even when running it with a tune. You tripped the code because of your JB3 inducing excessive fuel demands in the 3000-4500rpm range. I assume it's been cold where you live, right? The colder/denser air will increase fuel demands unless met with an appropriate reduction in boost pressure.

Shiv
Yes its been cold where i live. Maybe Above 25F below 30's often when i did bring in the car for service. So once code is thrown is it done with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
The code can be cleared as I read until now, using a GT1 scanner (you must find a shop with such a scanner). But once your dealer notified BMW that your car had this code...this is a big problem. If you checked the car for codes before going to the dealer you would have been fine...but now I don't know...you could try to clear the code and go to the dealer again, see how it goes...

Yea i understand that and i wasnt quite aware that i would have a code thrown since my car never went into limp or had any other lights on dash EVER. I do kinda ddrive my car fast and i did put 25k miles on my car within 4 months. Not really worried bout warranty since ill be done with this car in next half year or so. But i just wanted to get some stuff fixed if there is a problem with it before i get rid of this carin the future.

Maybe i can get the code deleted and bring it back with stock intake and play it off? The tech there really didnt have a clue what caused it. They just stoped doing work on the car as soon as they saw the code. But they did fix my brakes and rotors AFTER this incident stating that that code has nothing to do with brakes. So they do go by the LAW Certain thing must be connected to voiding the warranty and has to have relevence.

Oh well im not sure what to do and i know what i did to my car is my problem so im not really ranting or anything just wanted a heads up for everyone out there.

BTW im not sure if they noted that my car threw a code but he said just take out ur intake and bring it back in and ill fix your rattle. He really has no problems if i take off the intake. Ill give it a try when i somehow get this stocki ntake back on.. LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #15
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Yes its been cold where i live. Maybe Above 25F below 30's often when i did bring in the car for service. So once code is thrown is it done with?
That depends on the dealership and if the code was reported to BMW hq. If so your vin has already been marked. Which chip were u running?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #16
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rismo123 View Post
Would it make sence to buy a GT1 ourselve?

Like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GT1-B...9450QQtcZphoto

?

It's 1000 bucks...

But I know that the gt1 software runs on unix and here they look like to sell it on a windows platform .....
Most GT1s on ebay are fakes.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #17
spyahoo
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

This is why I get a laugh at all the people including the tuners themselves saying they are not detectable. Truth is we dont know. Hell the SSTT could be detectable under the right variables
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #18
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:

Yea i understand that and i wasnt quite aware that i would have a code thrown since my car never went into limp or had any other lights on dash EVER. I do kinda ddrive my car fast and i did put 25k miles on my car within 4 months. Not really worried bout warranty since ill be done with this car in next half year or so. But i just wanted to get some stuff fixed if there is a problem with it before i get rid of this carin the future.

Maybe i can get the code deleted and bring it back with stock intake and play it off? The tech there really didnt have a clue what caused it. They just stoped doing work on the car as soon as they saw the code. But they did fix my brakes and rotors AFTER this incident stating that that code has nothing to do with brakes. So they do go by the LAW Certain thing must be connected to voiding the warranty and has to have relevence.

Oh well im not sure what to do and i know what i did to my car is my problem so im not really ranting or anything just wanted a heads up for everyone out there.

BTW im not sure if they noted that my car threw a code but he said just take out ur intake and bring it back in and ill fix your rattle. He really has no problems if i take off the intake. Ill give it a try when i somehow get this stocki ntake back on.. LOL
I know with the 1.22 mapping BMS has lowered the footprint dramatically from 1.1. But what you need to do is find an independent shop with a GT1 BMW scanner and delete the code.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #19
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
what you need to do is find an independent shop with a GT1 BMW scanner and delete the code.
So do JB3 customers have to do this as a precaution every time they visit the dealership? Given the tune is sold as diagnostically invisible I'd be pretty pissed if I was a customer.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 08:32 PM   #20
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
So do JB3 customers have to do this as a precaution every time they visit the dealership? Given the tune is sold as diagnostically invisible I'd be pretty pissed if I was a customer.
We've had hundreds of customers go in and not trigger the codes, in this case some combination of things apparently did. Without the facts I can't really comment on it. It may or may not be related to the tune as you can trigger the codes with watered down gas, a failing fuel pump, etc. OP should work with BMS to figure out what went wrong. Going in to the dealer with the intake was also a bad idea.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #21
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
I wonder if tuners advertising invisibility could be implied in a court as assisting with warranty fraud... hypothetical situation, of course...

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #22
lauer87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
I wonder if tuners advertising invisibility could be implied in a court as assisting with warranty fraud... hypothetical situation, of course...
Its an interesting question, but I would imagine if BMW really thought they had a case BMS and Vishnu would have been enjoined by BMW already.
Appreciate 0