BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #1
Neovison
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine White BMW 135i

Love/Hate

Thanks in advance to the BMW experts in this forum...

I have never loved a car so much, but MAN can this thing frustrate me. First, I wanted to address the handling, so installed: M3 RSFB, Per suspension, and put on Pilot SS tires. Then added PPK2, and PE. I wish the suspension was "tighter" and had less roll though... Not sure what to do about this?

I don't want to write much about the throttle delay saga, but apparently there is nothing I can do about this. I have 2013 135i and the very latest software (yes on the on the SIB 12-15-14 apparently per dealership)... Bad delay (and feels like it is getting worse). I do not want to start WWIII, but I installed the Pedal Box and that did help. Now the car has a hair pin throttle, but the delay is still there. Takes off like a bat out of HELL though.

NOW... And this might be normal, but when come to a rolling stop, it feels like I have a barrel weight on a rod that slides forward when I stop and a "THUNK". It feels like the entire power train slowly slides forward 6 inches due to inertia and then the "thunk". I might be overly sensitive, but wanted to check with you guys. Is this normal?

One weird thing - when I park on a slight incline, I engage the parking brake and then the car rolls forward 3 or 4 inches even after the parking brake is pulled all the way up? It feels like the transmission is holding the car in place and parking brake isn't? Is this also normal?

I previously owned a 2000 BMW M Coupe (clown shoe). That car literally felt like it was carved out of solid block of granite and the suspension was my definition of perfect. I thought the 135i would be as ridged and "tight".
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Sounds like your impressions are coming from your experience of owning an M car.
M cars are special. Super tight, and upgraded in almost every area vs. a standard BMW.

The emergency brake thing I noticed from time to time but I wasn't pulling it up all the way. Now I use it and put it in 1st gear (which I think is the proper thing to do anyway).

The "thunk" thing has never had happen to me. Doesn't sound right. My car is bit different than yours as I have a N54 and the handling always has felt tight to me. This is my 3rd BMW, but I never owned an M. I have driven them though.

Other people here should give you some advice. Good luck to you.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

how stiff is the performance suspension? might be time for sway bars or a coilover or stiffer spring/shock combo. of course there are a lot of suspension components that could be upgraded still.
      07-26-2015, 06:40 PM   #4
Neovison
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
Sounds like your impressions are coming from your experience of owning an M car.
M cars are special. Super tight, and upgraded in almost every area vs. a standard BMW.

The emergency brake thing I noticed from time to time but I wasn't pulling it up all the way. Now I use it and put it in 1st gear (which I think is the proper thing to do anyway).

The "thunk" thing has never had happen to me. Doesn't sound right. My car is bit different than yours as I have a N54 and the handling always has felt tight to me. This is my 3rd BMW, but I never owned an M. I have driven them though.

Other people here should give you some advice. Good luck to you.
Thanks - I didn't realize that there was that large of a difference between M and non M. Someone on this or another forum mentioned that BMW's original intention for the 135i was to make them all M models. Not sure how that would have manifested in reality since the 1M seems pretty different from the existing 135... appreciate the input....
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 06:47 PM   #5
Neovison
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post
how stiff is the performance suspension? might be time for sway bars or a coilover or stiffer spring/shock combo. of course there are a lot of suspension components that could be upgraded still.
I'm not very versed in suspension mods so I wanted to stay safe and stick with the BMW product. I realize now that there are a multitude of upgrades. The PS is only 5 months old, so I'm not going to spend additional $ now. Maybe stiffer dampers? The PS doesn't seem that different from stock in IMHO, but this is so subjective... Maybe there is an issue with the install? Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2015, 06:58 PM   #6
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neovison View Post
I'm not very versed in suspension mods so I wanted to stay safe and stick with the BMW product. I realize now that there are a multitude of upgrades. The PS is only 5 months old, so I'm not going to spend additional $ now. Maybe stiffer dampers? The PS doesn't seem that different from stock in IMHO, but this is so subjective... Maybe there is an issue with the install? Thanks for the reply.
I felt the same way about staying OEM. Also agree that the PS doesn't seem all that different than the M Sport suspension. Overall, I'm happy with it, it's just not that different. Maybe we just got used to it?

Mentioned this in another thread, if I were to do it over, I might've gone with the Dinan springs. A little stiffer and a little lower.

Edit: probably no issue with your install.

Last edited by Esteban; 07-27-2015 at 04:19 AM..
Appreciate 0