BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-10-2018, 05:26 AM   #1
Stock4Evr
RetNavSpook
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i - 2016 320i

Cigar lighter power?

2012 135i - Is the power to the cigarette lighter turned off when the car is turned off? I have a dashboard camera plugged in and do not want to drain the battery.

And what about the, I do not know what it is called, plug by the trunk opening handle where you can plug in devices to check the cars condition? I have a Palmer Performance device plugged in that provides engine performance to my iPad.

Please excuse my lack of knowing the proper names. I am just a person that enjoy this car.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock4Evr View Post
2012 135i - Is the power to the cigarette lighter turned off when the car is turned off? I have a dashboard camera plugged in and do not want to drain the battery.

And what about the, I do not know what it is called, plug by the trunk opening handle where you can plug in devices to check the cars condition? I have a Palmer Performance device plugged in that provides engine performance to my iPad.

Please excuse my lack of knowing the proper names. I am just a person that enjoy this car.
The socket you are using for your Palmer is the OBD II port(on board diagnostics). Personally, I wouldn't be tapping into the OBD port just to power an accessory.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #3
Stock4Evr
RetNavSpook
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
The socket you are using for your Palmer is the OBD II port(on board diagnostics). Personally, I wouldn't be tapping into the OBD port just to power an accessory.
I apologize for the confusion which my poorly written question caused.

Restated

Q1 - Is there power to the cigarette/cigar lighter plug turned off when the car is turned off? ( I connect a dashboard camera to this source)

Q2 - Is the power to the OBD II connection turned off when the car is turned off? ( I insert a device that sends data to an iPad).

I would like to leave the devices connected to these two power sources but not if they drain power from the battery.

Hopefully that make my questions clearer.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #4
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Q1: No; they are no longer "cigarette lighters", they are power points/sources, etc.
Q2: OBD II ports are always powered, however to work to diagnosis, the ignition must be in the run position. So answer here is, I don't know. I can't imagine tho, there would be any appreciable problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
Stock4Evr
RetNavSpook
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
Q1: No; they are no longer "cigarette lighters", they are power points/sources, etc.
Q2: OBD II ports are always powered, however to work to diagnosis, the ignition must be in the run position. So answer here is, I don't know. I can't imagine tho, there would be any appreciable problem.
Oh I like that "power points". I guess that allows them to charge more for the car. I tend to agree with you and will just keep the devices plugged in. Thank you for your reply.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock4Evr View Post

the lighter/powerpoint is off when the car is off.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #7
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
the lighter/powerpoint is off when the car is off.
I'm not sure about that. I have a radar detector plugged into the outlet under the armrest and I have the switch turned on all the time. When I turn the car off, the detector turns off. But I think something in the DME is monitoring devices requesting power and disabling comfort access and other system functions to conserve power.

I turn the detector off completely now. If I leave it on I'll eventually have comfort access stop working and the 'increased discharge' warning.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #8
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inevitab1e View Post
I'm not sure about that. I have a radar detector plugged into the outlet under the armrest and I have the switch turned on all the time. When I turn the car off, the detector turns off. But I think something in the DME is monitoring devices requesting power and disabling comfort access and other system functions to conserve power.

I turn the detector off completely now. If I leave it on I'll eventually have comfort access stop working and the 'increased discharge' warning.
It's 100% accurate that when the engine is turned off, the accessories outlets are turned off. Both under the armrest and the one in the ash tray compartment.

What you have to be careful about with power being sucked down is the other systems which remain powered up for about 15 minutes after shutting down the engine. Things like the CIC system and if you set your headlights to auto, the parking lights will remain on during that time.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2018, 11:13 PM   #9
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
It's 100% accurate that when the engine is turned off, the accessories outlets are turned off. Both under the armrest and the one in the ash tray compartment.

What you have to be careful about with power being sucked down is the other systems which remain powered up for about 15 minutes after shutting down the engine. Things like the CIC system and if you set your headlights to auto, the parking lights will remain on during that time.
What would cause the car to wake up continuously? Movement or noise?
Headlights being set to auto?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inevitab1e View Post
What would cause the car to wake up continuously? Movement or noise?
Headlights being set to auto?
Opening and closing the door and I think the trunk will wake the car up.

The auto setting is there if you have the xenon HID headlights. Setting the headlights to this setting will turn the lights on and off based on ambient lighting and will also aim the headlights into the a corner based on the amount of steering. It also controls the cornering lights. So if you have the upgraded headlights, your parking lights will stay on until you pop out your key from the dash. I also think the parking lights will immediately shut off when you exit the car. I haven't tested all the various combinations though.
Appreciate 0