BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2024, 02:08 PM   #1
jjFender
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Adjustable front lower control arms for more camber?

I tried searching but didn't quite find what I am looking for.

Does anyone have experience with adjustable lower control arms like the Turner Performance one?

My 2011 135i is currently on the OEM M-Sport suspension, have Dinan fixed camber plates and M3 control arms installed. I can only get -2° camber. That's not too bad but I would really like more camber for autocross. -3° to -3.5° would be ideal. And, weirdly, I wonder if that's achievable without lowering or getting adjustable camber plates.

Anyone that has tried adjustable control arms, how much more camber is possible over the M3 control arms? Or maybe a simpler way to estimate max camber is to compare the arm lengths? At max length, how much longer are the adjustable arms compared to the M3 arms?

Ultimately, I'm sure the overall better way would be to just get lowering springs or coilovers but I'm still curious if it's possible with adjustable control arms.

I don't care about classing. The M3 control arms already bump me out of STU. And I changed the final drive ratio so I'm probably already in some prepared class anyway.

It's just that....this hurts the soul:
Appreciate 2
Blau366.50
      01-22-2024, 11:27 AM   #2
Brandon_2011_135i
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i, 2012 Audi A4

looks like a car in need of sway bars
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2024, 03:13 PM   #3
jjFender
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_2011_135i View Post
looks like a car in need of sway bars
That's in the plans too. Just figured more static camber couldn't hurt.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 07:06 AM   #4
Blau
J
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Slow down. Before you throw arms in your car ask what your purpose is. Street? Track? Stance?

Start with lowering springs and shocks/struts AND the Dinan camber plates. The other option is to go with a coilovers kit with built in camber plates or a kit like the Bilstein one with the Dinan camber plates (that's what I did).

Next, add sway bars if that isn't enough.Then if you still feel like you need more camber go to the arms.

Just my humble opinion on setup. I see the arms as unnecessary for street setup. Track, yes. Stance? I dunno what those guys do, nor am I concerned.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2024, 03:58 PM   #5
sibanez
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 Civic SI, 11 128i, 04 GX470

The big problem with M3 control arms is that they put the top of the wheel in, reducing room in the wheel well.

You can get adjustable camber plates for stock springs - this is probably your best bet. There's a hack where you can also flip your Dinam camber plates and install the adjustable camber plates to them.

You can see an example here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/z8cU2SaeLtYqRJVY6

I had to order longer bolts for the Dinam camber plate, but it worked well. Could get over -4 up front with these.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 07:03 PM   #6
Yvrbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128

Offset bushings from powerflex and slotting the top mounting holes will also gain you some camber.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 07:04 PM   #7
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjFender View Post
I tried searching but didn't quite find what I am looking for.

Does anyone have experience with adjustable lower control arms like the Turner Performance one?

My 2011 135i is currently on the OEM M-Sport suspension, have Dinan fixed camber plates and M3 control arms installed. I can only get -2° camber. That's not too bad but I would really like more camber for autocross. -3° to -3.5° would be ideal. And, weirdly, I wonder if that's achievable without lowering or getting adjustable camber plates.

Anyone that has tried adjustable control arms, how much more camber is possible over the M3 control arms? Or maybe a simpler way to estimate max camber is to compare the arm lengths? At max length, how much longer are the adjustable arms compared to the M3 arms?

Ultimately, I'm sure the overall better way would be to just get lowering springs or coilovers but I'm still curious if it's possible with adjustable control arms.

I don't care about classing. The M3 control arms already bump me out of STU. And I changed the final drive ratio so I'm probably already in some prepared class anyway.

It's just that....this hurts the soul:
Yes, you can use those arms for the additional -1 to -1.5 of camber you are after. At max length, you should be able to safely get an additional -2.5 of camber.

The Turner ones are just SPL at a higher price. These are less expensive:

https://www.hpashop.com/products/spl...f7597ab4&_ss=r
Appreciate 1