BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

This is what my car is doing

i dont know how to get the video to post to this thread so i provided a link to my youtube.

i know about the HPFP and such but now ive got smoke from the tailpipe, a strong gasoline smell fills the air, a loud whistling sound and a dark spot underneath the tailpipes. oh and i had 2 long cranks the day before i shot this video with all the above happening.
Attached Images

Last edited by MrBimmer; 02-21-2011 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

And you haven't thrown it in the dealers face yet because...?

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep

i have! the closest appointment is 11 days from now. worst of all, they wont have a loaner for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Embedding a youtube video is very simple, the text after the '+' in the hyper link is all you need. Click the youtube button i the reply options, and paste the letters and numbers after the '=' sign.

I'd try seeing if another dealer can take your car, 11 days would be unacceptable to me.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
1on135_deal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

msg sent
      02-21-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

No you get then to take it immediately. And if they don't have a loaner they need to rent you a car. That white smoke is more than likely oil and that's a lot of oil.

Bring the car in. Show your SA that video and make them take the car, it's currently dangerous to drive

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 06:33 AM   #7
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
And if they don't have a loaner they need to rent you a car.
The dealer isn't obligated to provide a loaner. It's done as a courtesy (in fact, they often call them "courtesy cars...").

I agree though about trying to get the dealer to take the car ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

^you need to be firm and confident when dealing with them. Then you get the things you want.

I've had issues with my car where I needed a loaner inorder to go to work, but my car was undrivable. They can find you an "early return" or an "extra one in the back". You just need to twist their arms a little

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I agree that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease."

I'm just saying that there is no legal or warranty-based requirement for them to provide you with a vehicle when yours is being serviced.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBimmer View Post
i have! the closest appointment is 11 days from now. worst of all, they wont have a loaner for me.
It sounds and appears that you have a bad injector.. its sticking open dumpiung fuel all the time..

youll get injectors, the fouled plug or plugs... maybe even a cat if it is overheated and melted or melting. I would def try to get in sooner.. where in Queens are you trying to get in in 11days ??? Bayside ??
      02-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I agree that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease."

I'm just saying that there is no legal or warranty-based requirement for them to provide you with a vehicle when yours is being serviced.
If they want to keep a customer they'll give him a loaner earlier

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #12
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

White smoke is water or incomplete combustion (mis-fire). A blown head gasket would do this. It seems a bit much for a mis-fire. Boosted motors (turbo-charged motors) are prone to head gasket problems. If you have a chip on it, I would take it off - it could be the reason the gasket blew.

I'd work on getting the service manager to watch the video. I think they would work you in. Or send a link to BMW NA.

If it's the head gasket, driving it risks water locking the engine which will do a lot more damage. A water lock is when you get so much water in the combustion chamber that the piston tries to compress it. You can't so something has to give.

If you had a dipstick, you could look for water in the oil (another sign of a blown head gasket). But we don't have a dipstick. Have you tried checking the coolant level?

I would have it towed to the dealer. Especially if the coolant level is low.

Jim
      02-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
White smoke is water or incomplete combustion (mis-fire). A blown head gasket would do this. It seems a bit much for a mis-fire. Boosted motors (turbo-charged motors) are prone to head gasket problems. If you have a chip on it, I would take it off - it could be the reason the gasket blew.

I'd work on getting the service manager to watch the video. I think they would work you in. Or send a link to BMW NA.

If it's the head gasket, driving it risks water locking the engine which will do a lot more damage. A water lock is when you get so much water in the combustion chamber that the piston tries to compress it. You can't so something has to give.

If you had a dipstick, you could look for water in the oil (another sign of a blown head gasket). But we don't have a dipstick. Have you tried checking the coolant level?

I would have it towed to the dealer. Especially if the coolant level is low.

Jim
although everything you say is true, n54's rarely blow a head gasket unmodified. in fact i think i have only seen 1 sine the n54 came out . his heavy fuel odor and the heavy smoke is raw unbuned fuel making its way out. He also has an '08 and im guessing he doesnt have the new injectors in there, but that is just my guess.

I still say bad injector.

p.s although we have no dipstick to look and see if we have a soupy mess, the oil fill cap is also a good place to look for water in the oil.

just my .02

OP, keep us informed... also im sending you a PM.
      02-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #14
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep

I live in Rosedale Queens and the dealership i always use is Hassle BMW in freeport. A while back i had a very hard time with them crashing my car and then not doing any kind of service work to stop the rough idle/limp mode crap that use to happen every morning. they had my car for well over a month and did no work to it. This crap happening now could have been avoided.

I drove my car 3 times after getting it back in between the blizzards then one morning i get the limp mode and engine malfunction light. i call in immediately to schedule an appointment but we got hit with snow again and i just kinda left it alone. i drove my car on the beautiful 60 degree weather we had a few days ago and it seemed to be running just fun.

The next day i start it up my friend said he saw blue smoke, i thought he was kidding but it looks white to me... as of right now, my car doesnt even seem safe to start. My 43 thousand dollar car feels like a junk car to me right now. im going to be calling them to ask if they would have a problem if i just have it towed it as soon as possible. Even if it is to just sit over there with them till my appointment date because i cant stand looking at it right now.

Thank you for your support guys. i will post after my phone call tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #15
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
Embedding a youtube video is very simple, the text after the '+' in the hyper link is all you need. Click the youtube button i the reply options, and paste the letters and numbers after the '=' sign.

I'd try seeing if another dealer can take your car, 11 days would be unacceptable to me.

Thanks for teaching me how its done.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 01:09 AM   #16
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep

i called in and was told that i could have it towed in sooner then the 28th but it wouldn't be worked on until then -_-
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #17
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Whose your SA at Hassel?

I got a loaner within 3 days after my top failed even though the desk said I couldnt get one for almost a month.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #18
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Whose your SA at Hassel?

I got a loaner within 3 days after my top failed even though the desk said I couldnt get one for almost a month.
I usually go with peter but I didn't even go as far as talking to any of the SA's. My car is at rallye BMW now
      02-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #19
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Rallye is a great dealer too as I'm sure DriveHard has told you

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #20
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
... Sounds like some bad service to me. I call my dealer if I need to go in on an urgent appointment and my SA slips me in. Also I have had a few times where I can't make it to the dealer (IE: work) and they send a guy to my office drop off a loaner and take my car. THATS SERVICE!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #21
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
I usually go with peter but I didn't even go as far as talking to any of the SA's. My car is at rallye BMW now
Its getting 5 injectors, a 466 pump, new softwear, and a partridge in a pair tree as we speak...

Waiting to get programmed... Dennis ( SA) will up date you later. I cant see if you are in transportation ????? did you use a different last name ??
      02-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #22
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Well, Pick up your car already... its been done since last night...LOL Ha Ha..