BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
clubspec330i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F39, CB F86, MB 911T

Berk Tech., how did you do at the Streets?

Hey guy,

I saw you were testing and tuning at the street and went over to talk to you. How the outcome?

I think my next upgrade will be either V3 or camber plate. Either one of these items should knock down a second or two.

It was a great day indeed. I ended up with a $25 gift voucher for next track day. Better than nothing I guess.

'til next time..

Mack
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
J Tyler
My ride: bimmergirl84
United_States
Rep
Drives: For free.

I think Berk did a 1:28 or something...

A guy Billy J & myself instruct did a 1:26 in his almost-stock S2000, Billy did a 1:25.3 in it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
clubspec330i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F39, CB F86, MB 911T

WOW! 1.26 is super fast for almost-stock S2000, or almost-stock car for that matter.

The Fontana Nissan GTR was doing 1.25s and got down to 1.20s by mid-day. I don't know if there broke the 20s barrier or not because I left after lunch.

Next time I attend HPDE with Redline, I will be sure to look you up and request for some instruction. My best time in my stock M3 yesterday was 1.33.....oh well, at least I have lots of room to improve.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

1:27's in traffic. Not sure what the car can do on a clean lap.

It was a great test day as we were able to test a few different alignment settings. We weren't out there for times, just to test.

Lots of track time that day wasn't it!!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
M.Bonanni
Yost Autosport #YAE92 Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yost Autosport #YAE92 Race Car

Yeah, completely different mindset when testing is the top priority instead of running a quick time. In a time attack setting you tune the car's setup, but a lot of times you don't really test anything new because you don't want to make the car worse. In a pure testing environment, without fear of making the car worse, you can try new things with the setup and make major adjustments. Thats what we did. Some of them made the car worse, but luckily some of the major changes made the car better too so we learned a lot.

From a driver's standpoint its also very different on a test day vs. a time attack. In a time attack you are dancing between adjusting the car and adjusting your driving style to best suit the way the car is handling so you can get the fastest lap time. The goal is to get the car handling as best you can with enough practice time left to focus on finding the fastest way around the track with it. On a test day, my focus as a driver is very different. I don't want to adapt my driving style at all to how the car is handling. I want to drive it the same way every time so we can truly see the difference in how the car reacts after a change. On a test day you also don't push the car near as hard as on a time attack run. I would feel pretty stupid if I broke something or went off the track trying to win a practice session lol.

So as far as how we did out there, given our goals for that day, we did awesome .
Appreciate 0