BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
OneM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Redline ATF for Manual Transmission

After my run-in period, I changed the transmission fluid to the recommended BMW MTF LT-5. Didn't make much of a difference as the gearbox was still notchy, especially going into 2nd gear.

As the BMW LT-5 isn't a synthetic oil I researched other BMW forums that recommended the use of Redline's synthetic transmission oil. On Redline's website itself, their application guide for our 1M's recommends the use of their 'D6 ATF'. And I know ATF stands for 'automatic transmission fluid' but on the rear of the bottle it does say for manual transmissions too.

So I gave it a shot. My my.. and I ain't exaggerating when I say this, its pretty much night and day difference. Mostly after after a couple of days usage. Not only is it smooth going into gears the vehicle's performance and mileage improves due to its lower resistance. And that's something you can feel.. the lower resistance and smoother acceleration.

Now I know there'll be skeptics out there which is fine. I'm here just sharing my personal experience and I believe that's what forums were created for. So for those who only stick to OEM fluids that's perfectly fine too. For others willing to give it a try, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprise by this synthetic oil.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf red-line-30704.jpg 500×500 pixels.pdf (31.9 KB, 1065 views)
File Type: pdf Red Line Oil Application Search.pdf (115.5 KB, 978 views)

Last edited by OneM; 11-02-2012 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC

Mhhhhh, very interesting ! The only downside could be long term reliability. Keep us posted if you got any issues ...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Interesting also how it will work in negative temps
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneM View Post
After my run-in period, I changed the transmission fluid to the recommended BMW MTF LT-5. Didn't make much of a difference as the gearbox was still notchy, especially going into 2nd gear.

As the BMW LT-5 isn't a synthetic oil I researched other BMW forums that recommended the use of Redline's synthetic transmission oil. On Redline's website itself, their application guide for our 1M's recommends the use of their 'D6 ATF'. And I know ATF stands for 'automatic transmission fluid' but on the rear of the bottle it does say for manual transmissions too.

So I gave it a shot. My my.. and I ain't exaggerating when I say this, its pretty much night and day difference. Mostly after after a couple of days usage. Not only is it smooth going into gears the vehicle's performance and mileage improves due to its lower resistance. And that's something you can feel.. the lower resistance and smoother acceleration.

Now I know there'll be skeptics out there which is fine. I'm here just sharing my personal experience and I believe that's what forums were created for. So for those who only stick to OEM fluids that's perfectly fine too. For others willing to give it a try, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprise by this synthetic oil.

I tried Redline in place of LT-2 in my E46 and it made a great difference in late August. Once October and November rolled around, I did not like it's cold properties. The shifter felt gummy until the car warmed up which was usually when i was pulling into my parking space at work. Too little, too late. I think the bigger concern is that LT-5 was especially formulated for the 1M and they were very specific about it. I believe there was some new coating in the gears that they were concerned about and the previous MT fluid was not compatible with it....You just put some of the older stuff in your gearbox. Yes it's synthetic but not sure how wise it is especially under warranty. Also, Redline has a red color which is a tell-tale sign if you experience transmission problems and they see the stuff. I hope it works out.

I recently replaced my fluid with LT-5 and while picking it up, the parts guy told me there was an LT-6 that supersceded LT-5. I didn't confirm, just asked him for the LT-5 but it might be worth looking at that instead of potentially ruining your gearbox and getting caught in a warranty debacle. At this point it will take more than one gear oil change for the fluid not to have a red tinge to it. Cars that were accidentally filled with LT-3 by the dealer, I believe were offered extended warranty on gearbox.

Good luck, truly hope I'm wrong on this one.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I used Redline's ATF D4 in my old 323i e36 years ago. BMW spec'd LT-2 for that manual trans for the 2.5L six engine. I also noticed the shifter was MUCH smoother with Redline than with what was in it before. I assume it had the OE BMW LT-2 fluid. Car had around 100K kms when I changed over to Redline D4. I kept that car a for four years and it had 245K kms on it when I sold it. The trans shifted smoothly when I sold it. I changed the trans fluid three times in the 140K kms I owned it. The car always was parked outside in the cold German winters, and I never had trouble shifting gears cold.

I have been using Redline ATF D4 in my 135i for about 40K kms now. It also shifts MUCH smoother than with BMW's MTF-LT4 fluid. Fist time I changed my manual trans fluid was with LT4. The trans seemed to shift about the same. Maybe a tad worse when cold. My 135i trans always had a notchy 2nd gear when the trans was cold.

I then switched to Redline ATF D4 in my 135i N54 manual trans. It shifts so much better now! When the trans is cold, it is most noticeable the improvement in shifting smoothness. My 135i is parked inside a garage - not outside though. I would never go back to BMW trans oil in one of my cars.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Interesting also how it will work in negative temps
I never noticed that in my old e36. (see my post bellow). The coldest winter I had with that car it went down to -22'C and the car was parked outside!

Redlines AFT D6 flows better at colder temps.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #7
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I never noticed that in my old e36. (see my post bellow). The coldest winter I had with that car it went down to -22'C and the car was parked outside!

Redlines AFT D6 flows better at colder temps.
Good to know. I want to do M3 diff upgrade so would be nice to try red line at the same in it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

FWIW ... This is what Mike Miller suggests in his maintenance FAQ:

"All the BMW gearbox rebuilders I know use Red Line MTL exclusively, regardless of model year or gearbox. The general consensus is that MTL is the better lubricant.

However, Red Line D4ATF will require less shifter babying during cold operation. I use Red Line MTL in manual gearboxes except where I can’t trust the driver to shift properly when the gearbox is cold, in which case I use Red Line D4 ATF."
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
FWIW ... This is what Mike Miller suggests in his maintenance FAQ:

"All the BMW gearbox rebuilders I know use Red Line MTL exclusively, regardless of model year or gearbox. The general consensus is that MTL is the better lubricant.

However, Red Line D4ATF will require less shifter babying during cold operation. I use Red Line MTL in manual gearboxes except where I can’t trust the driver to shift properly when the gearbox is cold, in which case I use Red Line D4 ATF."
I had the same experience, Redline MTL wasn't awful just "gummier" when cold than stock stuff LT2 in my experience. I never tried ATF though. Only in E36 that already called for ATF and it was great there.

I still worry a bit because BMW made a special fluid for this gearbox and I think some more research should be done before swapping the fluid.

Of course if a fellow addict is willing to risk their tranny for the greater good, to find out which is better, I think that is cool, I just feel bad for Dan Parker and his mess and would hate to see another 1Mer with a transmission/warranty fiasco.

Last edited by nachob; 11-04-2012 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

MY BAD! MY BAD! Sorry to everyone

I misread the post, the OP was talking about ATF in the gearbox. I used MTL and had the cold gummier thing. Didn't try ATF. Sorry! Dackel, if you want to strike everything I said, make it go away, except the warranty concern.

I did use Redline ATF in E36 328i 5MT and it has been good so far but E36 called for Dexron ATF so it didn't seem like a big risk.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
MY BAD! MY BAD! Sorry to everyone

I misread the post, the OP was talking about ATF in the gearbox. I used MTL and had the cold gummier thing. Didn't try ATF. Sorry! Dackel, if you want to strike everything I said, make it go away, except the warranty concern.

I did use Redline ATF in E36 328i and it has been good so far but E36 called for Dexron ATF so it didn't seem like a big risk.
No problem. I think people can read and figure out what you posted.

I will just say I can highly recommend Redline's ATF D4 in a bmw manual trans.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC

All very interesting, but also a bit puzzling: why didn't BMW put these type of fluids in our cars in the first place ? There seems to be no disadvantage, and I can't imagine that cost was an issue. Anyway, I'm seriously considering using Redline's ATF D4 or D6 when my warranty expires, as a smooth shifting gearbox adds so much to a sportscar appeal ...

Last edited by LotusBoy; 11-05-2012 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

My suspicion is that they're all generally fine (even BMW's MTF LT-5) as long as one doesn't buy into the lifetime-fill B.S. ...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
OneM
Private First Class
Rep

LotusBoy: I'm sure BMW ain't gonna recommend another product if they've got their own (i.e. BMW LT-5)
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #15
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:

FWIW, when my dealer put the wrong stuff in my trans, I emailed Mikey (Roundel tech editor) and also talked to a rep at Redline. Mikey stood behind his Redline MTL rec but the Redline guy hedged once he heard that my gearbox was "unique" and not same as 135 and for a while they had removed the ATF D6 as a rec on the website, but maybe they have checked and decided OK...
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
OneM
Private First Class
Rep

Em/1: D6 ATF is only recommended for the 1M, not 135i (on Redline's website)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #17
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
FWIW, when my dealer put the wrong stuff in my trans, I emailed Mikey (Roundel tech editor) and also talked to a rep at Redline. Mikey stood behind his Redline MTL rec but the Redline guy hedged once he heard that my gearbox was "unique" and not same as 135 and for a while they had removed the ATF D6 as a rec on the website, but maybe they have checked and decided OK...
I'm not sure the 1M's gearbox is unique. I seem to recall that it's the same 6-spd unit from any N55 135i. This is borne out by realoem...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #18
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:
Em/1: D6 ATF is only recommended for the 1M, not 135i (on Redline's website)
Redline's website does now have D6 ATF listed for the 135i.

I just switched to D6 ATF 2 weeks ago in my 135i manual.

My car has only has 30k miles on it, but as it's driven in city/autox/track I felt like I should change all the fluids at the end of this season. Not surprisingly, the fluid I drained out of the tranny was hideous. I didn't take pics, but I think dackel has a thread somewhere and my experience was similar to his; just thick black fluid.

The D6 ATF didn't make a significant difference in shifting, maybe it's a little smoother, but I'll chalk that up to the placebo effect. All I can say is that I have peace of mind that there is a clean oil in the car now, and based on what I pulled out, the car was due well before the service interval.

So if you're on the fence: D6 ATF Good (or new BMW oil), old oil bad
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #19
OneM
Private First Class
Rep

135i using N54 engine uses a different manual transmission gearbox to the 1M. Only the N55 135i's uses the same manual transmission gearbox as the 1M. This is highlighted on both realoem & redline's application guide website.

N54:GS6-53BZ/DZ
N55/1M:GS6-45BZ

Last edited by OneM; 11-06-2012 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Here is what my old trans fluid looked like...

old MTF-LT-4, new MTF-LT-4, new Redline ATF-D4
Name:  IMG_5882.jpg
Views: 13082
Size:  132.2 KB

Original thread...
DIY: manual transmission and diff fluid change
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...MTF-LT4&page=5

When I switched from LT-4 to Redline ATF-D4 I noticed my manual trans shifted much smoother. Easpcially on a cold 1st to 2nd shift. Not totally perfect... but MUCH better than with the OE MT-4 bmw fluid.

The Best oil is Fresh oil!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #21
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I'm curious about the LT-6 that nachob mentioned. Anyone have any info on this?
      11-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #22
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
I'm curious about the LT-6 that nachob mentioned. Anyone have any info on this?
It doesn't surprise me that bmw has gone to an LT-6 fluid. When I changed my trans fluid the LT-3 had been replaced by LT-4.

One thing to remember is ALL of the bmw LT fluids are regular dino oil. NOT an synthetic!!

I would still recommend using Redline ATF-D6 over the BMW LT fluids. And don't forget to change your diff oil while your at it!!
Appreciate 0