BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #1
B1M3W5i11
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 2011 e82

Insurance & Steering Angle Sensor Question

Alright, so last week I was driving in a residential neighborhood when I hit a patch of ice and lost control of my vehicle. Car went sideways and nailed a curb with the steering wheel fully locked to the left. I curbed the right front wheel enough to bend the control arm and throw my alignment out (pretty bad toe out).

Called insurance, filed a claim and had the car towed to a BMW indy shop. They replaced the control arm, wheel and did an alignment w/ steering angle sensor adjustment. This is a where it gets fun, the insurance company sent an adjuster to review the repairs and decided that $130 was the going rate for an alignment (indy shop charged $330 for alignment w/ steering angle sensor adjustment) and would not cover the excess.

The way I see it is that the steering angle adjustment is an additional repair just like replacing the control arm and wheel. Insurance disagrees obviously.

Anyone have any info that the steering angle sensor adjustment is customary with an alignment? Or any advice on how to fight this with insurance? Debating whether to call the dealer for a written statement, something to make insurance realize they're idiots. (Mind you this is only one of two battles I have with them related to this claim)

Car Details: 2011 n55 6spd. No aftermarket suspension or wheels. No active steering.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Your ins company is trying to squeeze you. Tell them IF they don't pay up you will make a formal complaint with your state's ins commision. They should pay for (all)the repairs.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
B1M3W5i11
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 2011 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Your ins company is trying to squeeze you. Tell them IF they don't pay up you will make a formal complaint with your state's ins commision. They should pay for (all)the repairs.
Completely agree with you. I'm having insurance send out the adjuster again to reassess the damage with me present. I wanted to have all my ducks in a row in preparation for that argument (paperwork, formal statements, etc). If that fails, formal complaint it is.
Appreciate 0