BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
GPIC135I
Private
Rep
Drives:

What summer performance tires? Recommendations please

Hey,

I got my Alufelgen CS7 ready. The weather is starting to improve and i'm starting to think about bying some rubbers. What would you recommend?

i was thinking Dunlop Dizzeta star specs
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPIC135I View Post
Hey,

I got my Alufelgen CS7 ready. The weather is starting to improve and i'm starting to think about bying some rubbers. What would you recommend?

i was thinking Dunlop Dizzeta star specs
The Dunlop Z1 SS is an excellent street tire. Stiff sidewall, super-soft compound, excellent street/track mixed use tire. However, if you plan on doing ANY drag racing on these with a tune and bolt-ons, they will help compared to RFTs but still not a great solution. I've cut 2.07 60fts on these tires with a 6MT in 50 degree weather, so they are a definite improvement.
      03-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

It kind of depends on what requirements you want. Do you value strictly performance over comfort, noise or longevity? Do you need a good rain tire or value strictly dry weather performance? Will you take the car to the race track? Are you looking for good bang for the buck or will you only consider the top named tire manufacturers?

Lot's of dependables. Set the requirements and it will be easier to make a recommendation.

Check this out and you decide:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
GPIC135I
Private
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the car & driver tire review! After looking at it I'll prob will go with the Hankook Ventus V12
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT, '21 Charger Scat

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
Anyone know if there is a recommended minimum temperature for using and/or storing the Hankook tires. I want to get them on early, but it's on 35 degrees here in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPIC135I View Post
Thanks for the car & driver tire review! After looking at it I'll prob will go with the Hankook Ventus V12
I pretty much came to the same conclusion from the article and from the reviews at Tirerack. I just may try out the Hankook Ventus V12, but I am also considering the Goodyear F1 Asymetrics. They have great reviews as well and they are great in the rain. I really liked the Goodyear GS-D3 I had on my Porsche. On washed out rain weekends at the race track, those tires were amazing in the rain. Allowed me time to drive on the track, when the Hoosier R compounds kept me parked. The F1 Asymetrics are supposed to be as good in the rain as the GS-D3. I can't get the GS-D3 in the proper 18" sizes.

The Goodyears are only $150 more than the Hankooks with the $80 rebate that is offered. So a toss up on whether to try the Ventus or F1.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

!

Last edited by Jaguar66; 04-21-2010 at 11:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

I've considered the PS2s, but they're just so expensive! I'm currently considering the Ventus and F1 Asymmetric as well. Tough choice, but I'm siding on the Goodyear side of things at the moment. I'm still researching. We'll see!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
Mitch1er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I have the F1 and would not recommend them. they do not grip as well as i would like, all of 1st and part of 2nd gear spins the tires. they do perform well in the rain tho. my next tires are going to be the V12 or the star specs.
i'm all stock BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisitalia View Post
I pretty much came to the same conclusion from the article and from the reviews at Tirerack. I just may try out the Hankook Ventus V12, but I am also considering the Goodyear F1 Asymetrics. They have great reviews as well and they are great in the rain. I really liked the Goodyear GS-D3 I had on my Porsche. On washed out rain weekends at the race track, those tires were amazing in the rain. Allowed me time to drive on the track, when the Hoosier R compounds kept me parked. The F1 Asymetrics are supposed to be as good in the rain as the GS-D3. I can't get the GS-D3 in the proper 18" sizes.

The Goodyears are only $150 more than the Hankooks with the $80 rebate that is offered. So a toss up on whether to try the Ventus or F1.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch1er View Post
I have the F1 and would not recommend them. they do not grip as well as i would like, all of 1st and part of 2nd gear spins the tires. they do perform well in the rain tho. my next tires are going to be the V12 or the star specs.
i'm all stock BTW.
Bring on the feedback everyone! It's great to have for MANY of us. The season is here for summers. And, choosing is tough!

I really wanted to try the Star Specs, but they don't come in the sizes I'll be running.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
Mitch1er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

what size are you looking for? off topic, but does anyone who if 265/35/18 fits on the VMR CSL replicas (18x9.5 rear)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #12
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch1er View Post
what size are you looking for? off topic, but does anyone who if 265/35/18 fits on the VMR CSL replicas (18x9.5 rear)
245/35/18 front, 275/35/18 rear.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #13
Gimlet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i

I just put on the Hankooks in 225fr/255r sizes and the difference between them and the stock run-flats is huge. I have to say tho that the sidewalls do seem a bit soft when compared to others I've tried (loved my GSD3's), but this could be placebo since the RFT's are sooo damned hard.
They have performed pretty well for me however and are definetely grippy, especially when heated up. I don't drive agressively in the rain so I really can't comment on that, however, they haven't let me down yet in wet braking/cornering.

Overall, I'd say a great tire especially for the price. Perhaps not the best track-day tire (I understand the Star-specs are great for this with their bigger "shoulders" and stiffer walls) but for everyday driving these seem to suit me perfectly.

BTW - I ran Nitto Invo's on a previous ride and know they are good for agressive sizing as they are more round. I was impressed with their dry performance quite a bit, but they wore out pretty fast and started getting pretty slippery in daily driving after about half of their lifespan. Wet performance, which was above average at first, degraded pretty quickly as they wore as well. Cool tire tho and if I were running a square setup I might consider again b/c they are non-directional.

Last edited by Gimlet; 03-17-2010 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #14
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgxmike View Post
Anyone know if there is a recommended minimum temperature for using and/or storing the Hankook tires. I want to get them on early, but it's on 35 degrees here in the morning.
I'm being toyed with by the same teasing weather pattern you are in. Itching to get out onto a summer road. Yet now I hear it's back to winter Mon and Tues next week. Damn I'm tired of it.....
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgxmike View Post
I'd check Hankooks website for that info.
Im in Albany too, and just got the Hankooks (will be putting mine on in the next cpl days)
I just wouldnt hammer on them too much in the cold mornings.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #16
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet View Post
I just put on the Hankooks in 225fr/255r sizes and the difference between them and the stock run-flats is huge. I have to say tho that the sidewalls do seem a bit soft when compared to others I've tried (loved my GSD3's), but this could be placebo since the RFT's are sooo damned hard.
They have performed pretty well for me however and are definetely grippy, especially when heated up. I don't drive agressively in the rain so I really can't comment on that, however, they haven't let me down yet in wet braking/cornering.

Overall, I'd say a great tire especially for the price. Perhaps not the best track-day tire (I understand the Star-specs are great for this with their bigger "shoulders" and stiffer walls) but for everyday driving these seem to suit me perfectly.

BTW - I ran Nitto Invo's on a previous ride and know they are good for agressive sizing as they are more round. I was impressed with their dry performance quite a bit, but they wore out pretty fast and started getting pretty slippery in daily driving after about half of their lifespan. Wet performance, which was above average at first, degraded pretty quickly as they wore as well. Cool tire tho and if I were running a square setup I might consider again b/c they are non-directional.
Did you put the Hankooks on the stock rims? Ive got VMR v710's w/ the hankooks on them waiting to go on the car. wondering how much room there is in the rear w/ the 255's.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #17
Gimlet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i

I'm running them on Breyton GTS-R's 18x8.5" in the rear..I've had no problems with rubbing at all...thees wheels are pretty close to stock offsets.. Sorry I can't be more help -
      03-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #18
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I just ordered Eagle F1's to mount on AluFlegan CS7's. I'll have them installed this coming Monday. I'll let you know know how they work out. As mentioned the price difference with rebate is not that much. I paid $748(figuring in the rebate).

R.
      03-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #19
RaceTime
Auto X'er
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Gray 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet View Post
I'm running them on Breyton GTS-R's 18x8.5" in the rear..I've had no problems with rubbing at all...thees wheels are pretty close to stock offsets.. Sorry I can't be more help -
Yep...Breyton GTS-R wheels and 255's in the rear fit well. I dont have any rubbing either (in the rear). I currently have Star Specs mounted on the wheels which run on the wide side.
Dinan Stage 2 software, Injen intake, RR Oil Catch Can, H&R Pro-coilovers and springs, H&R front sway bar, Vorshlag camber plates, Vorshlag comp studs, BMW strut brace, BMW performance pedals, G-Force harneses, BMP tow hooks, Breyton GTS-R wheels with 255-35R18 (square set up) and custom axel back exhaust with muffler delete.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #20
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT, '21 Charger Scat

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
I'm being toyed with by the same teasing weather pattern you are in. Itching to get out onto a summer road. Yet now I hear it's back to winter Mon and Tues next week. Damn I'm tired of it.....
I just put them on, they are so nice, but take a bit to warm up in the cold. I can chenge back to winters in <1hr if necessary...... (but I hope I don't have to.)

I use to live in ROC, got tired of all that wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmallstii View Post
I'd check Hankooks website for that info.
Im in Albany too, and just got the Hankooks (will be putting mine on in the next cpl days)
I just wouldnt hammer on them too much in the cold mornings.
I'll just be gentle until they warm up. I really hope the rain/snow stays away, I miss summer driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #21
RaceTime
Auto X'er
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Gray 135i

Oh yea... star specs are my vote! Yokahama Advan's are good as well.
Dinan Stage 2 software, Injen intake, RR Oil Catch Can, H&R Pro-coilovers and springs, H&R front sway bar, Vorshlag camber plates, Vorshlag comp studs, BMW strut brace, BMW performance pedals, G-Force harneses, BMP tow hooks, Breyton GTS-R wheels with 255-35R18 (square set up) and custom axel back exhaust with muffler delete.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #22
ruffstik
Pirate
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Garage List
2008 135i  [9.50]
Just got my Star specs delivered today...cant wait to mount them!
Appreciate 0