BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #23
diamondsbylauren
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 CV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM View Post
If you press the start button once - without stepping on the brake- it will not crank & it will be in the "accessory position". Press again & it would be in the on/crank position. (All idiot lights on briefly). Press again & it will now be in the off position.

The way you describe how your seats work is the way BMW & Mercedes intend them to work. When the person who returns to the car has the same fob as was last used to run the car, the seat will stay in the last position the seat was in when THAT fob was in control. It will not move the seat at all unless someone else with the other fob had run the car in between and the seat had been moved either manually or automatically while the other fob was in control. If that had been the case, when you returned with your fob, the seat would then move to your pre-set memorized starting position. The seat only moves if another fob had control of the vehicle in between your fob's uses.

I have found that if the 2 fobs are in the car at the same time (say husband and Wife, for example) sometimes the car will be confused as to which fob to load all of the settings for, and the result can even be a conflicting mix of the 2 fobs settings.

American cars will always move the seat to the permanently memorized position for the remote used to unlock or start the car each time the car is started with that fob.
This seems to indicate I'm not going to be able to have this work how I wanted.....
If the parking attendant moves the seat- then locks the car with the fob, the seat ain't going to move when I unlock it with that same fob
no matter how the memory settings are set....right?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #24
Barry45RPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 MB E550, 2010 128i Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsbylauren View Post
This seems to indicate I'm not going to be able to have this work how I wanted.....
If the parking attendant moves the seat- then locks the car with the fob, the seat ain't going to move when I unlock it with that same fob
no matter how the memory settings are set....right?
Absolutely correct. The memory seat logic is different in the German cars than in American cars.

In American cars if the seat is not in the position assigned to it by the fob, it will always move when you unlock with your fob (or in some cars when you start the car, depending on how the owner set up the function in features set-up.)

In the German cars, the seat will only move if a different driver with a different fob approaches and unlocks and operates the car. I guess the Germans figure if you moved the seat from your memory position after you got in and drove, you knew what you were doing.

This logic has caused many owners of German and American cars to report that the German car's seat is not working properly. In my opinion the American designers have gotten this feature right, for the very reason you cite... but the Germans will have 10 reasons why their logic is correct, and we must learn to come around to their methods and ways.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 09-01-2011 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
Hog77
That Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible/M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjof2003 View Post
In my 135i there is a setting in the BC menu that does this.
The three options are
  1. OFF
  2. Move the seat when the door opens (after unlocking with the remote)
  3. Move the seat when you push unlock on the remote
Mine works just like this. When I set the BC to either return my seat position on unlock or or door open, the seat moves to my position.
      09-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #26
Barry45RPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 MB E550, 2010 128i Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog77 View Post
Mine works just like this. When I set the BC to either return my seat position on unlock or or door open, the seat moves to my position.
Only after someone has used the other fob (with a different seat position memorized in it) to operate the car between your uses of the car.

If you move the seat out of your position with your fob before you shut off & exit & lock the car, when you return and unlock the car, using the same fob the seat will not move into your fob's memorized position.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #27
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

I can solve this for you - stop using parking attendants. Have you not seen some of the videos of what they do to cars like yours?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #28
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
I can solve this for you - stop using parking attendants. Have you not seen some of the videos of what they do to cars like yours?
Unfortunately, this is not always an option.

Tom
Appreciate 0