E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 330xi drift?

06-06-2006, 12:59 AM   #1
ShiraiwaRiku
Baby Driver
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

330xi drift?

Does anyone know what speed will causes stock 330xi to drift when turning?

kind of curious

by adding what mod will prevent drifting?
Alpine White | Navigation | Premium | Osram HID 6000K Headlight, Foglight | LED Blackline | M-Tech Steering Wheel, Rear Bumper | AC Schnitzer Pedals, E-Brake, Decklid, Rooftop, Front Spoiler, Side Skirt, Racing Spring | Tint 35/50 | DRL Disabled | Carbon Fiber Grill, Emblem | MTec 2.1 Halos | LED Interior Xenon | Painted Red Calipers | JleviSW LED Signals & Licence Plate Kit | Voltage Stabilizer | GruppeM Intake | Remus PowerSound Quad Exhaust | MorrVS8 with Bridegestone RE960
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 01:09 AM   #2
mosport70
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
My friend and I noticed no significant drift when driving the Tail of the Dragon recently in my xi. Perhaps some slight wheel slip mainly due to the Bridgestone RFTs but in general x-drive works as advertised.

We were taking the tight curvies at about 45-65+ mph in some sections. Point and shoot!

Would be nice to get the xi on a skid pad to really test the limit.
330xi Sparkling Graphite | Terra with Burl Walnut | ZPP | ZSP with Style 162 | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | PDC | Navigation | Satellite Radio | OEM Alarm | De-badged | OEM Strut Brace | Blacklines | Rear Fogs | Silver Front Indicator Bulbs

Ordered: 4.3.2006
Scheduled for Production: 4.7.2006
Awaiting Transport: 4.13.2006
En Route: 4.19.2006
At Preparation Center: 5.11.2006
Performance Center Delivery: 06.01.2006

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 02:59 AM   #3
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiraiwaRiku
Does anyone know what speed will causes stock 330xi to drift when turning?

kind of curious

by adding what mod will prevent drifting?
You are talking about lateral adhesion I think? The point where the car exceeds available grip depends on the speed and the angle of the turn and the road surface.

Find a large, empty, parking lot and give it a go.... just drive round in circles gradually increasing your speed and you'll soon feel the way the tyres begin to slide..... try different speeds and turn radii. Good fun too.

BTW - 4 wheel drive will only give increased traction for acceleration purposes. It makes no difference to lateral cornering forces or braking ability whatsoever. So on cornering ability (other than gassing it out of tight bends on low traction surfaces) it should be the same, or slighty worse than, the 2 wheel drive models...

The only mod to stop drifting per se would be more grip i.e. wider tyres. But the 330 has plenty of grip already.
      06-06-2006, 03:25 AM   #4
ShiraiwaRiku
Baby Driver
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosport70
My friend and I noticed no significant drift when driving the Tail of the Dragon recently in my xi. Perhaps some slight wheel slip mainly due to the Bridgestone RFTs but in general x-drive works as advertised.

We were taking the tight curvies at about 45-65+ mph in some sections. Point and shoot!

Would be nice to get the xi on a skid pad to really test the limit.
cool, keep it posted
Alpine White | Navigation | Premium | Osram HID 6000K Headlight, Foglight | LED Blackline | M-Tech Steering Wheel, Rear Bumper | AC Schnitzer Pedals, E-Brake, Decklid, Rooftop, Front Spoiler, Side Skirt, Racing Spring | Tint 35/50 | DRL Disabled | Carbon Fiber Grill, Emblem | MTec 2.1 Halos | LED Interior Xenon | Painted Red Calipers | JleviSW LED Signals & Licence Plate Kit | Voltage Stabilizer | GruppeM Intake | Remus PowerSound Quad Exhaust | MorrVS8 with Bridegestone RE960
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 03:28 AM   #5
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

It's very difficult to get a Xi in a drift. Only on very wet/gravel snowy /icey surfaces and/or scandinavian flicking it. Otherwise it will be neutral and understeered.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 03:28 AM   #6
ShiraiwaRiku
Baby Driver
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330m
You are talking about lateral adhesion I think? The point where the car exceeds available grip depends on the speed and the angle of the turn and the road surface.

Find a large, empty, parking lot and give it a go.... just drive round in circles gradually increasing your speed and you'll soon feel the way the tyres begin to slide..... try different speeds and turn radii. Good fun too.

BTW - 4 wheel drive will only give increased traction for acceleration purposes. It makes no difference to lateral cornering forces or braking ability whatsoever. So on cornering ability (other than gassing it out of tight bends on low traction surfaces) it should be the same, or slighty worse than, the 2 wheel drive models...

The only mod to stop drifting per se would be more grip i.e. wider tyres. But the 330 has plenty of grip already.
do you know how to control or stop drift?

I know slamming on brake wouldn't help...

will accelerating during the drifting period helps to restore grip?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 03:29 AM   #7
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
do you know how to control or stop drift?

I know slamming on brake wouldn't help...

will accelerating during the drifting period helps to restore grip?
last sentence:Yes(in short)or not grip but at least getting the car out of the drift. But how did you get it in a drift anyway?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 04:20 AM   #8
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I saw that top gear video of the RS4 (awd) and the guy was having a hard time drifting in it. Dont try it at home.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 05:10 AM   #9
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood
last sentence:Yes(in short)or not grip but at least getting the car out of the drift. But how did you get it in a drift anyway?
Correct - are we talking about power oversteer or lift-off oversteer or simply going too fast round a corner?

From the OP I think the latter.
      06-06-2006, 05:26 AM   #10
ShiraiwaRiku
Baby Driver
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330m
Correct - are we talking about power oversteer or lift-off oversteer or simply going too fast round a corner?

From the OP I think the latter.
going to fast while cornering
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 05:33 AM   #11
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
going to fast while cornering
Well, again thats very specific to the situation because if you lift off the gas that has the same effect as braking, which may increase the slide. But putting on more gas may also increase the slide.

The natural reaction is to lift off, and maybe brake too, which I'm sure causes a lot a crashes.

It takes big balls to step on the gas and try to power through a skid in a bend!

A skilled driver would use combinations of throttle, steering and braking too, in trying getting the car stable.

(maybe a skilled driver wouldn't be in the slide in the first place!)
      06-06-2006, 11:23 AM   #12
albeik
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Formula Red S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90
I saw that top gear video of the RS4 (awd) and the guy was having a hard time drifting in it. Dont try it at home.
Yup. I think you meant Tiff on Fifth Gear while drifting against the M3 CS.
Although it's duo-able :-P
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #13
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Practice, practice, practice. Safest and easiest on your car is to wait for winter and play in the snow in a big parking lot with nothing to run into. Drifting on dry pavement is pretty difficult. Few cars are better at resisting drift (skidding) than a BMW with DSC. It is easy to be going very fast and not realizing it in an E90 because the car is so quiet and controlled.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #14
ShiraiwaRiku
Baby Driver
Taiwan
Rep

will dsc or dtc help to stop the drift?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #15
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
the only time I got it to so-call "drift"..was when there were 2 feet of snow outside during winter
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 05:04 PM   #16
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

What they teach at the BMW driving course (which I have just taken) is that lifting off the gas gently will cure understeer.

Oversteer can be cured by lifting off the gas completely and engaging clutch (manual) or (automatic) giving a light tap of gas to stablize the car and either case, steer the front tires in the direction you want to go (resulting in what is called countersteering).
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 06:50 PM   #17
ShiraiwaRiku
Baby Driver
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista
What they teach at the BMW driving course (which I have just taken) is that lifting off the gas gently will cure understeer.

Oversteer can be cured by lifting off the gas completely and engaging clutch (manual) or (automatic) giving a light tap of gas to stablize the car and either case, steer the front tires in the direction you want to go (resulting in what is called countersteering).
wow.. sounds interesting..

how do you take the course?

what do they teach in there?

how much is it?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #18
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood
Or out of a drift and into a violent snap oversteer.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #19
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
another kid who watched too much initial D.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 07:20 PM   #20
ShiraiwaRiku
Baby Driver
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
another kid who watched too much initial D.
yes and no...

yes I watch Initial D, fun anime...

and no, because that's not the reason I asked..

becasue my friend had an accident 3 days ago with his Mazda 3 and me in it..

(long story short)

he was sleepy and he react to the corner too late, and he.. well.. slided into the iron bar fence on the highway bridge at 100km/h..

the car was totalled...

I'll post some pictures when I have time..

I'm glad that we are still breathing after that accident, and I'm still shaked by the event..

so the reason that I asked is I want to know if it was me driving my car that day, what is the correct way to controll the car..

so please.. have some respect for other people's question.. thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #21
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

this is funny cuz yesterday it was rainy and i found an empty parking lot to test out some drifting. i turned off dsc and dtc and i drove my XI in the lot at about 40 mph and tried to drift, all i got was understeer... no drift. Maybe if i went faster? but i didnt feel like risking it, my gf was in the car too.
      06-06-2006, 09:04 PM   #22
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
yes and no...

yes I watch Initial D, fun anime...

and no, because that's not the reason I asked..

becasue my friend had an accident 3 days ago with his Mazda 3 and me in it..

(long story short)

he was sleepy and he react to the corner too late, and he.. well.. slided into the iron bar fence on the highway bridge at 100km/h..

the car was totalled...

I'll post some pictures when I have time..

I'm glad that we are still breathing after that accident, and I'm still shaked by the event..

so the reason that I asked is I want to know if it was me driving my car that day, what is the correct way to controll the car..

so please.. have some respect for other people's question.. thank you
Then "drifting" is certainly not a way to "correct a car" in extreme situations.
Drifting in most cases, are taken for another way of fast cornering not as a solution for accident-prevention method.

but yes, I love ID have all the episodes downloaded.

ps: glad to hear both of you made it out alive. don't sleep and drive!

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0