BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
3RotorRX7
Erik
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Fault Code P29cd

Did a search and can't find what this code means. I am also getting a P0301 cylinder one misfire. I think I may have a bad injector as it only throws this code under high boost. Anyone else know?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
Juicehead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RotorRX7 View Post
Did a search and can't find what this code means. I am also getting a P0301 cylinder one misfire. I think I may have a bad injector as it only throws this code under high boost. Anyone else know?
HPFP starting to take a poop possibly?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
thothtp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Resurrecting this thread, just had this happen to me this morning. I have a cobb installed, came around a corner and hit the gas, check light came on and the engine started vibrating on acceleration, i.e. misfire.

Turned off the engine, turned it back on, and the SES light is off and engine runs fine. Haven't had a chance to take it for more of a test drive yet though.

Plugged in the cobb, and it read P29cd, which the cobb labeled as "cylinder 1 misfire"

Search doesn't show up any definition for the code, here or on the net. Any ideas whats wrong? My car is out of warranty already (was only the 2nd 1er to reach the US) so I want to make sure I have a good idea of whats wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Fleethammer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/CR 135i

No problem Lazarus I had a similar issue happen to me as well. It's a pretty easy diagnosis/fix. First, clear existing codes with Cobb. Next, remove your plastic engine cover and switch coil pack 1 with coil pack 2 and run car until the misfire happens. Scan again with Cobb. You will either get cylinder 1 misfire again, which likely means a bad plug or injector for that cylinder, or cylinder 2 misfire, which means bad coil pack. Before moving on to the next step, say a prayer to the car repair gods that it's not an injector

If it's a bad coil pack (cylinder 2 misfire comes up, just replace it and you are good to go.

If it's cylinder 1 misfire, replace spark plug and see if the same problem occurs. It will most likely be fixed by new spark plug(s) in this case, but if it's not, you are looking at other more expensive problems that will likely require a dealer visit. Not likely, but you need to be prepared just in case.

I was getting multiple cylinder misfire code, along with cylinder 2 and 4 misfires. I swapped coil packs around and the misfire codes followed the coils, so that was my problem. Just to be safe I replaced all six plugs and coils and the engine runs perfectly, no misfires at all and pulls hard. You don't have to replace all the coils, but I would definitely replace all the plugs; it's cheap and good preventive maintenance. BTW- you will need the special N54 spark plug removal tool. ECS sells it and I can't say enough good things about it.

You can get the spark plugs for around $68.00 here: http://www.autohausaz.com/, and the coils from German Auto Parts much cheaper than at the dealer. These are OEM quality parts used by BMW, so no worries about quality. My car runs flawlessly now

Quote:
Originally Posted by thothtp View Post
Resurrecting this thread, just had this happen to me this morning. I have a cobb installed, came around a corner and hit the gas, check light came on and the engine started vibrating on acceleration, i.e. misfire.

Turned off the engine, turned it back on, and the SES light is off and engine runs fine. Haven't had a chance to take it for more of a test drive yet though.

Plugged in the cobb, and it read P29cd, which the cobb labeled as "cylinder 1 misfire"

Search doesn't show up any definition for the code, here or on the net. Any ideas whats wrong? My car is out of warranty already (was only the 2nd 1er to reach the US) so I want to make sure I have a good idea of whats wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RotorRX7 View Post

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0301

http://n54tech.com/forums/archive/in...p?t-11983.html

Looks like it can be many things that cause this PO301 fault code. Has your car had the injector recall done? And doe it have a new(er) HPFP ?

IF yes... I would first replace the spark plug(s) should be done every 45K miles anyway. Then replace the coil pack (or switch that coil pack to another cylinder and see if that cylinder throw a code) and then an injector. You have to start off wth the most probable and work your way up $$$ wise. Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
3RotorRX7
Erik
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

New spark plugs fixed my problem.

Thanks,
Erik
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 05:26 PM   #7
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg 135i

Super resurrection thread.

I am having this exact issue when modified with Cobb (any map). If I romp on it bogs down and goes into limp mode. Pull over, turn off, turn on, all fine again. Uninstall the Cobb, never happens. I'm at 40k so I may get the plugs done and hope for the best

Just odd that it happens modified but not stock.

Next will be the coil pack swap and injector replace if the coil pack isn't the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 06:58 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadeucsb View Post

Just odd that it happens modified but not stock.

Next will be the coil pack swap and injector replace if the coil pack isn't the issue.
That's bc the tune(higher boost levels) put more of a strain on the spark plugs and coil packs. The higher boost tends to blow out the "spark".

Always use BMW bought spark plugs(NOT aftermarket plugs) and then start looking at your coils. Then its onto injectors - make sure you have the latest group (#11's ???)injectors.
Appreciate 0