BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
bmrgrl
Private
Rep
Drives:

Should I replace the RFTs?

I am getting a 128 with the sports package which comes with the performance tires. I need all season tires and it looks like there's no set of all-season RFTs that will fit this car... so either I have to go with two different sets of tires or go to non-RFTs.

If I switch to regular tires, what happens with the tire-pressure sensor? Will it still work?

Also, which tires would it be best to have? Although I ordered the sports package, I am still trying to see if having staggered tires would work for me...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

There are 16" steel wheels available from BMW. 205/55-16 snow tires are dirt cheap. I recommend Dunlop SP Winter Sports.

If you decide to keep the 17s, you can switch tires without affecting the tire monitoring system. All you have to do is reinitialize it (see owner's manual).

Whoever changes the tires has to be careful they do not damage the sensors, and make sure they do not remove the sensors and replace them with regular stems.

You're better off getting dedicated winter tires and keeping the summer tires, since all-seasons are too much of a compromise all around. Tirerack.com lists 2 winter tires that are available as a staggered set, Pirelli RFTs and regular Bridgestones. You can run non-RFTs on your car without any problems. If you get a flat, just remember that you don't have a spare and you can't drive on the tire.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
gizmo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

The pressure sensors will work with non-RFTs. If I were you, I wouldn't be attached to RFTs, in fact, many people on this board ditched them as soon as they purchased the car.
      05-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
bmrgrl
Private
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for all the advice. I live in a small condo and park on the street, plus I only drive 6k miles per year so switching wheels would be too much hassle, hence the all-seasons.

Are you sure about Tirerack? That's where I checked and they have staggered sets of perfomance tires, but there's no all-season staggered RFT set to replace the performance tires (unless they are out right now...).

I have only had one flat in 10 years... I might have more with this car given the smaller tire profile but I was planning to get one of those flat-tire kits if I switch to the non-RFTs --yes, I am not married to them... I've never had them before so I can definitely live w/o them so just checking options and what others are doing (good to know the sensors will still work)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrgrl View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I live in a small condo and park on the street, plus I only drive 6k miles per year so switching wheels would be too much hassle, hence the all-seasons.

Are you sure about Tirerack? That's where I checked and they have staggered sets of perfomance tires, but there's no all-season staggered RFT set to replace the performance tires (unless they are out right now...).

I have only had one flat in 10 years... I might have more with this car given the smaller tire profile but I was planning to get one of those flat-tire kits if I switch to the non-RFTs --yes, I am not married to them... I've never had them before so I can definitely live w/o them so just checking options and what others are doing (good to know the sensors will still work)
Changing tires is the easiest thing to do in the book.
Jack up the tire on the FRAME. Take off tire. Apply Tire. "Star Pattern" all done!

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrgrl View Post

I think that you want to get "winter" tires, not "all season". The winter tires are available in your stock size at Tire Rack.
As far as the RFTs....I have them on my 135 and have no problem with them. I think that the older design RFTs gave way too hard a ride. These don't feel too bad. After you get your car, see what you think.
Get a second set of wheels with the winter tires mounted (and another set of TPM sensors) and you won't have to change tires on the rims each year.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #7
bmrgrl
Private
Rep
Drives:

No, I really don't want winter tires. I have NO place to change the wheels, except on the street, nor a place to store them either. Also, to drive 1000 miles on them? We barely get any snow here and I rarely drive when we do, so it makes no sense to me. A set of all-seasons is what I want.

I was looking for RFT all-seasons staggered. There's no such thing as a set, hence I would either have to buy two sets of different brands (one for the front and one for the rear), or go for non-RFTs... otherwise it means I should not get the sports package. That is basically the dilemma... :iono:
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
OK......nevermind

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #9
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Call Radial Tire Co. in Silver Spring & explain your problem. They're very good with BMWs, offer a discount to BMWCCA members, are price competitive with Tire Rack, and superb in their mounting and balancing service.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #10
bmrgrl
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Call Radial Tire Co. in Silver Spring & explain your problem. They're very good with BMWs, offer a discount to BMWCCA members, are price competitive with Tire Rack, and superb in their mounting and balancing service.
Tom
Awesome, thanks for the tip. I will give them a call right away so I can decide what to do!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
bmrgrl
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Tom
Thanks Tom for the tip. I called them and they were very helpful. Indeed there's no all-seasons RFTs that will fit the ZSP but they did offer to buy the RFTs from me once I get the car, so I have decided it's best to have regular tires anyway... I will get the BMWCCA membership too!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #12
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Glad they could help - & offering to buy your OEM's sounds like a good deal. Since you want non RFT all-seasons, you might consider the Goodyear Eagle F1 AS which is available in both the front 205/50 and rear 225/45 sizes. They quoted me about $140~150 for this tire in a 225/45 as I'm considering them for my E46 sedan (tired of switching tires twice a year when there's been virtually no snow). Of course, if I ditch my snow tires, DC's next winter will have loads of snow & ice and you'll blame me!
Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #13
bmrgrl
Private
Rep
Drives:

I'll look into those... I currently have Yokos and I absolutely LOVE them. Amazing traction on wet weather and ice, plus they handle great. Yoko makes a set that will fit the 1 ZSP, plus Kumho also has a set and I've also heard great things about them (plus it's only about $100 a tire!). You might want to research those too.

Don't know about ice but my car felt like Noah's Arc yesterday... so tires with good wet traction are a must!
Appreciate 0