BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

1M side window break-in: another security risk?

I got back from a trip Monday and the first thing I checked was my baby. Over the weekend, somebody had broken in. The passenger door was ajar and the window was up, but resting about 1cm lower than normal.

Luckily, there was only minor damage. The glass will be replaced ($165) plus 2.5 hours of labor at the dealer for a total of $447. The trim pieces have minor cosmetic damage and it's not worth even filing a claim as my deductible is $500.

They only got my registration (5 bucks to replace), an old iPod Nano (I get them for free all the time), and the remaining 2 custom ignition rings that I got from Metak. They were kind enough to leave my garage opener and the piece of metal used to pry the window down (see photo). I imagine they ran like hell when the alarm started screaming at them.

The window was resting 1cm lower at rest and was rubbing on the rear window's front trim piece when opening and shutting the door. I simply yanked it back up into place. It is in perfect alignment and works fine.

Again, I got VERY lucky.

It looks like they forced the window down and then pulled the window pane back far enough to somehow open the door. After a painstaking examination of the entire car, there were no scratches on the inner handle or markings/damage inside the door or the seals. The master lock switch was not scratched and the driver door lock was still engaged.

The car will go to the dealer and they will replace the glass this week. Yes, the scratches are minor, but this is my baby and I got the money to repair her right, so I'm going to. They will inspect the inner workings and if there is any damage then I will file a claim. Otherwise, it's a 2-day fix.

It looks like a determined thief will find a way into any car. Just be aware that the 1-series may have another fault. I guess the upside is that the glass didn't actually break.

Oh...I gave the serial number from the iPod to the cops. All pawn shops and used electronics stores in Portland are required to report the serial numbers of anything they take in and hold them for 30 days. My building has security cams that are under review so we just might catch the pricks.

I've enclosed photos below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M, F30 330i

Shit, bad luck, man. At least the thieves didn't seem very sophisticated and use one of those cheap key-reprogrammers on the OBD port and drive off with the car!

Why do you have to replace the glass if it wasn't broken? Couldn't the scratches just be buffed out? The fact that it doesn't roll all the way up now could just be a misaligned window regulator from being forced down?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 01:39 AM   #3
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Bummer, to have any theft experience. In your case it seems an advantage (less damage) that the coupe does not have deadbolts when locked. Hope you have everything back as new soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 03:09 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Was you car broken into at your house ? Why would they take your registration papers ? I suspect they will be coming back for seconds.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 04:28 AM   #5
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acediac View Post
Shit, bad luck, man. At least the thieves didn't seem very sophisticated and use one of those cheap key-reprogrammers on the OBD port and drive off with the car!

Why do you have to replace the glass if it wasn't broken? Couldn't the scratches just be buffed out? The fact that it doesn't roll all the way up now could just be a misaligned window regulator from being forced down?
The scratches are very deep. I suspect that a buff would involve a wide area and be even more visible due to distortion. Plus it involves the edge. Sanding it down might create a water intrusion issue (it rains a lot up here). I also need the inside of the door inspected anyway, so I will get an added benefit of having that done when the new glass is installed. If there isn't any further damage they can re-align the glass although I suspect that the very slight protrusion of the glass above the lower seals when fully down might just be a minor assembly flaw. Either way, I will be gaining knowledge about any further damage and re-aligning the window by just having them repair it like new. Hopefully the inner workings are fine and things will proceed uneventfully.

I will post updates about the repair and the security issues if the mechanics know anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 06:25 AM   #6
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep

Don't understand why the a-hole(s) even broke into the car, not like they stole anything remotely worthwhile. Must have been some drugged up idiots. Oh well, like you said, it could have been worse.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 06:34 AM   #7
Basketcase
Aired Out
Canada
Rep
Drives: Currently Car-less

Hopefully they don't take the registration to a dealership acting like they own the car and get a key cut and programmed. Then return to take the whole car?

Not sure why else they would take a piece of paper

2010 E92 M3 - Track Build
2009 135i - FBO, Caged and Bagged
1980 E21 320i - Beauty!
2005 E46 M3 - Bagged
2003 E46 M3 - Track Build
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

It's a classic registration docs theft. Purpose: clone your car or steal it in the near future.
"Theft to clone your vehicle
Nowadays, thieves can even steal your car without you knowing it! By removing your owner's registration and insurance card from your vehicle, a thief can use those documents to obtain a license plate registered to you. The thief then steals a vehicle which is identical or similar to yours and counterfeits your vehicle's identification number (known as a VIN) onto it. The result is two vehicles with the same VIN and registration. Naturally, if the stolen vehicle is involved in an accident or used in a crime, the police will think it's yours. Clearing up the confusion can be a lengthy and annoying process. Your best bet: don't keep your registration and insurance cards, or any other pertinent vehicle information, in your vehicle."

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r270...urance-card-To clone your vehicle
See also for example:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r270...nsurance-card-
http://ask.metafilter.com/82243/Vehi...tion-theft-Why
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/.../t-434742.html
http://www.beyondidentitytheft.com/m...cle-theft.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_4815664_repo...istration.html

Advice for now: report the theft to avoid a possible hassle in the future.

Advice for the future: don't leave registration docs inside the glovebox (not even photocopies) or - even better - not inside the car. If you consider it too much of a hassle or risk to keep the registration docs inside your wallet, then put these inside the ///M Map which perfectly fits right next to the battery inside the boot. You rarely need to show these anyway. I keep my ///M Map under the boot-cover (without registration docs). Fringe benefit: more space inside the glovebox.

08-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
It's a classic registration docs theft. Purpose: clone your car or steal it in the near future.
"Theft to clone your vehicle
Nowadays, thieves can even steal your car without you knowing it! By removing your owner's registration and insurance card from your vehicle, a thief can use those documents to obtain a license plate registered to you. The thief then steals a vehicle which is identical or similar to yours and counterfeits your vehicle's identification number (known as a VIN) onto it. The result is two vehicles with the same VIN and registration. Naturally, if the stolen vehicle is involved in an accident or used in a crime, the police will think it's yours. Clearing up the confusion can be a lengthy and annoying process. Your best bet: don't keep your registration and insurance cards, or any other pertinent vehicle information, in your vehicle."

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r270...urance-card-To clone your vehicle
See also for example:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r270...nsurance-card-
http://ask.metafilter.com/82243/Vehi...tion-theft-Why
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/.../t-434742.html
http://www.beyondidentitytheft.com/m...cle-theft.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_4815664_repo...istration.html

Advice for now: report the theft to avoid a possible hassle in the future.

Advice for the future: don't leave registration docs inside the glovebox (not even photocopies) or - even better - not inside the car. If you consider it too much of a hassle or risk to keep the registration docs inside your wallet, then put these inside the ///M Map which perfectly fits right next to the battery inside the boot. You rarely need to show these anyway. I keep my ///M Map under the boot-cover (without registration docs). Fringe benefit: more space inside the glovebox.

Good idea but now everyone knows yours are in the trunk !!...
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
      08-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
Nope: if I'm out of the car, the registration docs are out too. Definitely.

The leather ///M pouch with instructions manual stays on board next to the battery (but that's not what thieves are after, except if they're absolutely clueless), not to avoid theft, but simply to have maximum space inside the glovebox.

And it pays off. Several years ago the passenger window of my M3 was smashed and the thief had frantically emptied the contents of the glovebox and the compartment under the passenger seat (first aid kit) + thrown everything around inside the car. Nothing stolen, no other damage apart from the broken window. Clearly a search for registration docs. But, to no avail for him/her: if the thief wanted the registration docs, (s)he first got to figure out where I am at that moment and pay me a visit.

Reminder: insurers don't like the situation of a car getting stolen with registration docs on board. In the end the claim won't be rejected on that basis, but it may cause some extra hoops to jump through for the victim.
      08-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #12
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
well that sucks Deepee! hope you get the window sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #13
RS375
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes - I hate these scum with a deep passion.

Unfortunately this sort of thing is on the increase in the UK, particularly with high performance or high value cars.

The key cloning issue is widely documented in the UK and is a topic of much discussion on another marques owners forum I'm a member of.

I'm not sure what car crime is like where you are but your description of events would have me worried over here. I would be concerned that they would be coming back in with a cloned key and identity for the car.

If you're visiting the dealer for replacement glass then I'd insist that they at least update the security software (documented on this forum) and even look at getting new key fobs.

In the UK there are various companies offering additional security, electronic versions being additional alarms/immobilisers that sit on top of the standard security. There are also favoured old school mechanical devices that are becoming ever more popular such as the disklok.
http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/shop/disklok/

I truly hope you have been lucky, you get things repaired and nothing more occurs.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #14
smq42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1m coupe

Great idea to keep registration docs in the trunk but what do you do if the local constabulary pulls you over for "spirited driving?"

I can't imagine they'd take too kindly to explanations of why you have to leave the car, open the trunk, and then show them the papers.

Standard operating procedure is to treat all vehicle stops as potentially dangerous until proven otherwise by verifying your license and registration. You're much less of a threat to a police officer when seated and buckled in place.
?13 E70 X5
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 04:37 AM   #15
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep

Actually, it turns out that the dumbfucks left my insurance card. I think they just wanted the iPod. My car is in a building with cameras all over it and there's only one way to drive in and out. I doubt they would be able to clone the key since I have the only white 1M from my dealer and they know me very well, but I will have them update the security software while the dealer has it. It's probably covered under warranty and I think it was already done when they did the battery cable recall.

If they clone the VIN I'm already ahead of them as the cops and the DMV are involved.

This sort of petty theft is very common in downtown Portland. We've had multiple thefts from our garage over the years. Car prowls are common because the cops catch and release anything under a felony. It's crap.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 04:46 AM   #16
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
Actually, it turns out that the dumbfucks left my insurance card. I think they just wanted the iPod. My car is in a building with cameras all over it and there's only one way to drive in and out. I doubt they would be able to clone the key since I have the only white 1M from my dealer and they know me very well, but I will have them update the security software while the dealer has it. It's probably covered under warranty and I think it was already done when they did the battery cable recall.

If they clone the VIN I'm already ahead of them as the cops and the DMV are involved.

This sort of petty theft is very common in downtown Portland. We've had multiple thefts from our garage over the years. Car prowls are common because the cops catch and release anything under a felony. It's crap.
I don't think it's cloning a key that is the problem. From what I understand, they get/steal another key with its own ID, then using a $300 dongle they plug it into the OBD port and add their key to the CAS module, start the car and drive off. Apparently the dealers can update the software to close the loophole and make it harder for that to happen, but the downside is that everytime you want to add / delete / change a key in the future you will have to do it through a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 04:58 AM   #17
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep

Yeah I got that security update after one of the forum members from the UK had his car stolen. I don't think these guys were pros at all. They left nice sets of fingerprints all over the glass. As for fobs, well I'm the only driver of the car and my spare is in a safe.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #18
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
Yeah I got that security update after one of the forum members from the UK had his car stolen. I don't think these guys were pros at all. They left nice sets of fingerprints all over the glass. As for fobs, well I'm the only driver of the car and my spare is in a safe.
See issue #19 of the 1M issues log sticky: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smq42 View Post
Great idea to keep registration docs in the trunk but what do you do if the local constabulary pulls you over for "spirited driving?"
I can't imagine they'd take too kindly to explanations of why you have to leave the car, open the trunk, and then show them the papers.
Standard operating procedure is to treat all vehicle stops as potentially dangerous until proven otherwise by verifying your license and registration. You're much less of a threat to a police officer when seated and buckled in place.
As already indicated, if the police asks for the car registration docs, driver license, ID card or insurance docs, I don't need to leave my seat at all or bend over to the glovebox: these docs are all nicely together 'at arms length' if you know what I mean: when you leave the car, all those docs leave too. However, if the cops want to see the BMW instructions manual (yeah sure) then I got to get out of the car to open the boot to collect the bulky BMW ///M pouch.
      08-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #19
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee
Yeah I got that security update after one of the forum members from the UK had his car stolen. I don't think these guys were pros at all. They left nice sets of fingerprints all over the glass.
You are correct, They are not.

Two bit car thieves have found that vehicles with ***frameless glass *** are a good target. That means most two door BMW couples apply... E36.. E46.. E90... 1 series . etc..

Many Japanese cars (Subaru for example) and also some us vehicles have frameless glass.

The thieves will wedge the glass away from the roof channel. This is easy to do as there typically is a rubber insulator at the top of the glass. Often times the window glass can be popped out completely as a single sheet. Tinted windows actually are a second item that thieves will look for as the tiny will keep the glass from shattering into pieces and will hold the broken fragments in a nice sheet. these Thieves often will rip the entire glass out. Then. Open the door and go through the vehicle contents.

These thieves are semi- professionals and are only looking for items that they can fence. Laptops, gps, cameras , purses gym bags etc. Leave any of those above items visible in an interior of a vehicle with frameless glass and window tint and your vehicle is a target. : cry:

This is a very quick smash and grab. I have seen the aftermath of where thieves hit 4-5 cars behind a busy restaurant in minutes. The ONLY vehicles broken into were ones with frameless glass AND or window tint. The day this happened to me and my friends, my 1M was untouched.. but an E46 M3, an E36, and several other cars were hit. If they cannot force the window down they will just pry it out. An E30 M3 without frameless glass but with tinted windows was broken into as well, they used a screwdriver to wedge the glass out and pry the entire window out and it was on the ground next to the car.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 08-21-2014 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #20
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
You are correct, They are not.

Two bit car thieves have found that vehicles with ***frameless glass *** are a good target. That means most two door BMW couples apply... E36.. E46.. E90... 1 series . etc..

Many Japanese cars (Subaru for example) and also some us vehicles have frameless glass.

The thieves will wedge the glass away from the roof channel. This is easy to do as there typically is a rubber insulator at the top of the glass. Often times the window glass can be popped out completely as a single sheet. Tinted windows actually are a second item that thieves will look for as the tiny will keep the glass from shattering into pieces and will hold the broken fragments in a nice sheet. these Thieves often will rip the entire glass out. Then. Open the door and go through the vehicle contents.

These thieves are semi- professionals and are only looking for items that they can fence. Laptops, gps, cameras , purses gym bags etc. Leave any of those above items visible in an interior of a vehicle with frameless glass and window tint and your vehicle is a target. : cry:

This is a very quick smash and grab. I have seen the aftermath of where thieves hit 4-5 cars behind a busy restaurant in minutes. The ONLY vehicles broken into were ones with frameless glass AND or window tint. The day this happened to me and my friends, my 1M was untouched.. but an E46 M3, an E36, and several other cars were hit. If they cannot force the window down they will just pry it out. An E30 M3 without frameless glass but with tinted windows was broken into as well, they used a screwdriver to wedge the glass out and pry the entire window out and it was on the ground next to the car.
Thanks for that info. My SA told me that my car has the lastest security and her exact words in the email were "The security software in the car is all that's available. It is protocol to secure a copy of the registration/title and a copy of the driver's license of the owner to order a fob from any BMW dealer, and the rolling random code that is employed in your car is almsot impossible to duplicate."

I'm not too sure how comfortable I still feel about things, but I refuse to live in fear. I'm sure this was just a smash-and-grab and feel lucky that so little damage was done. At any rate, I have great insurance through USAA who raise little ruckus about making people whole again. And if these guys come back and I catch them, I will handle the beatdown, personally.
Appreciate 0