BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
YVES1M
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m aw (kwv3) meisterschaf

Slip on akrapovic with wireless valve control

Hi guys, i juste about to order the slip on axel back akrapovic with valve control, flr a start... To expensive for the full kit.. Sugestions.. Tips.. Am i crazy..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

I love my full Evo system, without the butterfly, the sound is best descibed as outrageous! I love it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Wish I had the $$$ to drop on that. Such a raw sounding setup!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
I love my full Evo system, without the butterfly, the sound is best descibed as outrageous! I love it.
Hi Mate.. Looking closely at the akra rear muffler without the butterfly, looks like the outside pipe, bypasses the muffler completely, and is a straight through exhaust..

Is the secret behind the awesome sounding exhaust note of the Akra..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES1M View Post
Hi guys, i juste about to order the slip on axel back akrapovic with valve control, flr a start... To expensive for the full kit.. Sugestions.. Tips.. Am i crazy..
You're doing the right thing, order it and don't look back. The valve control is a must, otherwise you get the blocking plate and you don't get the muffler bypass. Install for the valve control is time consuming, so factor in another 2 shop hours for that (have to access a vacuum line in the engine bay, then snake the Akra line all the way to the trunk where the solenoid and transmitter are (wheels off, fender liners out, undercarriage apron loosened, ditto for a bit of the trunk liner).

I didn't think going the Evo was worth the money especially since I had an aftermarket mid pipe left over from the 135i. Get yourself a mid pipe (either the N55 or an aftermarket one), and you are all good to go.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
You're doing the right thing, order it and don't look back. The valve control is a must, otherwise you get the blocking plate and you don't get the muffler bypass..
Can you clarify... if I dont get the wireless option can I just force the valve to stay in an open position? Or is this blocking plate forcing a one way (valve closed) route configuration... in which case the akra is really a dual exhaust with an additional two dummy tips?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 02:00 AM   #7
GTR_Steve
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

The blocking plate is tack welded. When in place gases pass through the muffler. You can punch it out easily which will result in most gas bypassing the muffler. The valve kit replaces the blanking plate section and enables you to choose which route the gases take. It is a very nice sounding exhaust. I have the full Evo with wireless kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR_Steve View Post
The blocking plate is tack welded. When in place gases pass through the muffler. You can punch it out easily which will result in most gas bypassing the muffler. The valve kit replaces the blanking plate section and enables you to choose which route the gases take. It is a very nice sounding exhaust. I have the full Evo with wireless kit.
So Im right? Without the valve the system is a dual system with two additional non functional dummy tips.

Knocking the plate out basically results in a straight pipe system. At that point why pay for an Akra? Any straight pipes should do the same trick. Seems to me the valve kit is mandatory if you order an Akra.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
GTR_Steve
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

With the valve open or blanking plate removed the vast majority of flow is straight through. The section prior to the valve is flow sculpted so you do still get a considerable amount of gas flowing through muffler.
I would say the valve is a good buy, however it is vacuum to close so when you start the car v noisy until vacuum is sufficient to close.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR_Steve View Post
With the valve open or blanking plate removed the vast majority of flow is straight through. The section prior to the valve is flow sculpted so you do still get a considerable amount of gas flowing through muffler.
I would say the valve is a good buy, however it is vacuum to close so when you start the car v noisy until vacuum is sufficient to close.
Thanks, that clears up a good amount. Id want it open so I may not even have to run the vacuum line at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Thanks, that clears up a good amount. Id want it open so I may not even have to run the vacuum line at all.
Yup, Steve is right on all counts. I have the extra blocking plate (rendered useless once you have the valve kit), I'll take a pic next week when I am back where the car is. It is welded in 3 spots, looks like it is easy to dremel out. If not getting the valve control you definitely want to do it, otherwise too restrictive and you don't quite get the acoustic characteristics that make this Ti exhaust so special.

Just a word of caution: with my MadDad midpipe, even though the akra is not broken in (barely have 100 miles on it), when fully open the exhaust is LOUD! Of course in a good way, but since I think you mentioned you may do straight pipes for the mids (and perhaps DPs later on), it may be 'too' much for everyday use. Don't get me wrong, I will likely have it open 90% of the time, but a few times already I had cops giving me mean looks, and I generally close the valve when going late at night through residential neighborhoods, garages (so I don't trip car alarms), check-points, etc.

Akra's directions are pretty idiot proof (have them in PDF and can send them to you, as well as an extra booklet). It is actually a cool DIY job, I personally think the valve feature is worth the extra cost. You may check if Akra is willing to sell it as a standalone, perhaps you can start off without it and later on decide if you want it.

PS: Steve is 100% right, because it runs on vacuum, immediately after you start the car it is very loud and in a second or two as vacuum builds the valve closes.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Yup, Steve is right on all counts. I have the extra blocking plate (rendered useless once you have the valve kit), I'll take a pic next week when I am back where the car is. It is welded in 3 spots, looks like it is easy to dremel out. If not getting the valve control you definitely want to do it, otherwise too restrictive and you don't quite get the acoustic characteristics that make this Ti exhaust so special.

Just a word of caution: with my MadDad midpipe, even though the akra is not broken in (barely have 100 miles on it), when fully open the exhaust is LOUD! Of course in a good way, but since I think you mentioned you may do straight pipes for the mids (and perhaps DPs later on), it may be 'too' much for everyday use. Don't get me wrong, I will likely have it open 90% of the time, but a few times already I had cops giving me mean looks, and I generally close the valve when going late at night through residential neighborhoods, garages (so I don't trip car alarms), check-points, etc.

Akra's directions are pretty idiot proof (have them in PDF and can send them to you, as well as an extra booklet). It is actually a cool DIY job, I personally think the valve feature is worth the extra cost. You may check if Akra is willing to sell it as a standalone, perhaps you can start off without it and later on decide if you want it.

PS: Steve is 100% right, because it runs on vacuum, immediately after you start the car it is very loud and in a second or two as vacuum builds the valve closes.
T email me that PDF!!

I ran straight mids with the borla rear on my 135. It was loud but I was fine with it. I never went with DPs bc I was worried about how much louder it could get.

I dont see DPs in my future with the M and I do think Ill run straight mids. The biggest reason i havent jumped on the Akra slip on yet is because with the valve open and straight mids Im essentially running nothing but pipe. Im worried how that will sound plus I wonder if I could just get that with any pipe and save myself the 4k. How much of the sound on youtube is attributed to the Akra mids, I have to figure that out for myself before I purchase this thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
T email me that PDF!!

I ran straight mids with the borla rear on my 135. It was loud but I was fine with it. I never went with DPs bc I was worried about how much louder it could get.

I dont see DPs in my future with the M and I do think Ill run straight mids. The biggest reason i havent jumped on the Akra slip on yet is because with the valve open and straight mids Im essentially running nothing but pipe. Im worried how that will sound plus I wonder if I could just get that with any pipe and save myself the 4k. How much of the sound on youtube is attributed to the Akra mids, I have to figure that out for myself before I purchase this thing.
I will e-mail you the PDF file, it's 15MB so hopefully it will go through.

With the valves open (or blocking plate dremeled open) it is not a complete bypass, you will see that exhaust gasses flow through both muffler and straight pipes, thus the acoustics will definitely be impacted (i.e. you are not running nothing but pipe). Take a look at this schematic, you will see how the blocking plate and valve feature works. The valve open plate (called Wireless Pipe part# P-HF621) replaces the blocking plate (called Link Pipe part# P-HF620)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Akrapovic Slip_On BMW 1M Schematic.pdf (1.55 MB, 528 views)
Appreciate 0