BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Mounting my GPS...at last.

So i'm going to mount my trusty TomTom XL at last. Need to get to Ryda today to pick it up (once the traffic from peak hour has died down).

Now i need some help. For those of you with windscreen-mounted GPS, where on your windscreen do you mount? When i had this one in the Subaru it was plain central, but i'm not sure about the 'reachability' from the driver's seat if mounted centrally...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
i tried mounting a friends gps a couple of times, and ye it was quite difficult to reach it from the drivers seat. the windscreen is set considerably forward.
i was only using it for a couple of days and ended up just placing it in the little compartment infront of the gear lever lol. but i would not recommend that.

have you thought of getting an air vent holder?? i would assume they would be much better for the 1er, and wont leave a mark on the windscreen.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
yeah marks on the windscreen = fail (had a few friends' cars broken into and gps' stolen)

in my previous car i used an air vent holder with my nokia n82, perfect satellite reception and a dedicated unit can only be better. was MUCH easier to reach and read, the only downside being that it wasn't quite in my peripherals so i had to glance away from the road to use it.

you have a storage tray above the centre console though right? maybe try putting it there?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 02:05 AM   #4
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post
you have a storage tray above the centre console though right? maybe try putting it there?
some dude in the US did just that if i remember correctly. it was over a year ago when he posted it. he managed to fabricate it so it opened like the earlier built in i drive systems LOL a bit too much hassle if you ask me, but its an option!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 02:11 AM   #5
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
some dude in the US did just that if i remember correctly. it was over a year ago when he posted it. he managed to fabricate it so it opened like the earlier built in i drive systems LOL a bit too much hassle if you ask me, but its an option!
it's a good idea - as long as it's not too far to reach. i experimented with this in my previous car using lots of meccano
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

At home after a big night at the pub and oodles of sweet talk.

I was ever so gentle :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post
yeah marks on the windscreen = fail (had a few friends' cars broken into and gps' stolen)
Don't mount on your windscreen Alex.. I would recommend a air vent bracket.

We had 5 or so cars broken into in our carpark at home cause the thief could see the suction cup marks on the windscreens..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Don't mount on your windscreen Alex.. I would recommend a air vent bracket.

We had 5 or so cars broken into in our carpark at home cause the thief could see the suction cup marks on the windscreens..
Ended up mounting between the gauages and the A pillar on the right side.

Hmmm.. Might have to take it off and get an air vent holder - they're pretty cheap so won't be an issue.

Mind you, it's sitting pretty well and very convenient - can actually reach it instead of having to learn forward a whole kilometre to just nav somewhere!
Appreciate 0