BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Tommeh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96 BMW M3 & 16 GMC Canyon

Looking for reassurance on fluid changes.

I have had my 08 135i since about 53k miles and have been doing the easy general maintenance myself. This is the first car that I have taken the time to research how to do things the right way as BMW tax is out of my price range.

I am approaching 85k miles and told myself I would start changing my oil every 5k miles because I messed up and let it rode it out for around 10k over an amount of time I will keep disclosed......

Previously I have been buying the Oil change kits from ECS Tuning. The kits are great, but I feel like I could save a few pennies since oil changes are super easy after installing a Fumoto Oil Drain Plug.

I live in texas and every day its in the 90's sometimes 100 degree weather so I was thinking about making a switch from 5-30 to Mobil 1 0W-40 oil. I seen Dackel post that Castrol German spec is very good, but also heard that it is very hard to come by in the US. So is the Mobil oil fine?

I would also like to change my Differential and Transmission fluid as it has never been changed. DIY by Wolfe:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409293

The only part that seems like I will have trouble with is using that pump method to get the fluid from the container vertically up into the resivours. I was looking for some insight on how others have tackled this situation, and how it worked for you.

If you took the time to read all this thank you.
~Tommmiiiiiieee
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommeh View Post
The only part that seems like I will have trouble with is using that pump method to get the fluid from the container vertically up into the resivours. I was looking for some insight on how others have tackled this situation, and how it worked for you.
I can't speak specifically for the 1-series, but I have changed the trans and diff fluid on many other cars and most have the same type of setup with regards to the filling method (although most diffs also have a drain plug). Pumping the new fluid in can easily be done with a fluid pump that you can pick up at most any auto parts store. It's basically a pump like you'd find on a bottle of liquid soap but it also has a long tube coming off the top portion so you can route that up and into the trans casing. Most also come with a little plastic expanding piece that will hold the tube in place while you pump the fluid in. You just pump fluid in until you see it coming back out the hole. Once the fluid is coming back out you are good to go and put the fill plug back in. Note that it is extremely important that the car is sitting level for this so make sure to put it up on four jackstands.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Tommeh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Okay sounds like it is a pretty standard way of doing this. I thought the OP of that DIY was improvising. Yes I will be putting the car on a lift to do the work as near where I live they have a place that rents tools, and lifts for 5$ an hour
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
SayHack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
for the pump, use this. It has more then enough force to pump any viscosity fluid at a fast rate and it's well build and easy to use, don't let the price fool you:
http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

I've done a AT transmission fluid and filter change on an E88 and it required pumping the fluid up into the fill hole as well. I just used a simple hand pump and apart from it getting a little messy I can't see why you couldn't do that for the diff, both pumping out as well as filling up.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
Tommeh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayHack View Post
for the pump, use this. It has more then enough force to pump any viscosity fluid at a fast rate and it's well build and easy to use, don't let the price fool you:
http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html

I'll try anything for 6.99$............

Lol look like it will be super helpful honestly.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
Tommeh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got bored and made an excel spreadsheet for my maintence. I don't know if you guys can copy paste it since I have it on view only... But if you can I think it might be helpful..

I also have comments on the left column with intervals that BMW recommends and with what.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EE&usp=sharing
Appreciate 0