BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-09-2023, 01:02 PM   #1
E82_MDubb
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Power steering pump clicking noise

Hi All,

I have a 2011 135i that I purchased last year, and have spent a huge amount of time and money fixing the various issues with the car, which I'm sure most of us are experienced with it. Long story short, as I eliminate one error code after another, and replace one thing after another, I thought I was finally nearing the end, until I noticed this "whuring" or "whooing" sound that varies with throttle and only happens when the engine is at operating temp, and from slightly higher than idle to about 3K. It's almost like an additional noise that's a little off pitch than the regular engine noise, but definitely not normal.

I asked a mechanic to listen for it, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I asked a friend to listen for it, and he also said he can't tell. But I can. There is no code, and it started after I drove up a section of a hill, with many tight turns pretty hard (so lots of steering changes, at an incline, with fairly hard throttle applications).

I suspected power steering, but not sure if this is something that will happen only when the car is at operating temp? And I do mean very close to operating temp as if the car is below 200F on the oil temp, it generally does not do it, but after 200F, yes. Funny thing is, if you start the car cold, like overnight, and let is idle for like 1 minute and drive off, it makes that sound too, but goes away when I get down my block, and of course comes back when engine is at and over 200F.

I did change the power steering fluid, made no difference. There is one thing of note: when I took my car in for alternator replacement, I had the mechanic check my power steering pump, and it made a clicking sound when he turned it left and right, is it suppose to make that sound? This is without the belt on of course.

Any help anyone can provide is greatly appreciated! I love the car, but the little things are killing me!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 12:31 PM   #2
E82_MDubb
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Anyone can help me out? My post was a little long, but the short version is that my power steering bump makes clicking noises when you turn it left and right, I'm assuming that's not normal and may be the reason why I experience this weird whurring whooing sound at lower rpms when my engine is at operating temp? Anyone with this experience please chime in, very appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 05:30 PM   #3
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Belt tensioner and or belts maybe?
Appreciate 0