BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #23
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

They're old, but most of the quickest cars at our BMW club track days are stripped out 2 door E30s with modded versions of the M20 12 valve straight six. Once stripped out they're light. With a good set of springs & shocks they handle. With a good set of pads they stop. Parts are relatively cheap (from o/s...) & still abundant. They often come up for sale as there are so many around still. They're not super powerful but you can bolt in most of the newer 24V sixes including M3 donks. LS1s even fit in without much hassle. I'm sorry I sold my last one.
      01-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #24
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

I have been thinking of eventually getting a track car and going perhaps 6-10 times a year depending on cost.

Was thinking either MX5(the go to track car?) or 180SX(love this car).

How much does it usually end up costing each year for parts and the track fees?
      01-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #25
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

I do the same as your plans in a 98 WRX. Budget is a higher as it is pretty quick (300kW ATW and late model 6 speed drivetrain... about $25k). As Peter said, if I got defected the list would be long... so I don't drive it where risk of police pulling over. Does 1:07s at wakefield. Wins most skidpan events I go to, and does 11.0@125MPH at drags.

If I were you, I would consider what you want out of the car. An AWD car will probably be quickest, but a nicely balanced RWD may be more fun.

-- Adrian
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #26
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
They're old, but most of the quickest cars at our BMW club track days are stripped out 2 door E30s with modded versions of the M20 12 valve straight six. Once stripped out they're light. With a good set of springs & shocks they handle. With a good set of pads they stop. Parts are relatively cheap (from o/s...) & still abundant. They often come up for sale as there are so many around still. They're not super powerful but you can bolt in most of the newer 24V sixes including M3 donks. LS1s even fit in without much hassle. I'm sorry I sold my last one.
My friend is doing something similar. He stripped out an E30 but he has put in an M50. Just need to finish it off so I can drive it
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #27
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
They're old, but most of the quickest cars at our BMW club track days are stripped out 2 door E30s with modded versions of the M20 12 valve straight six.
At the last BMW club event I was at there were heaps of E30s... some quick, some not so quick... but I'm not too keen on doing engine swaps or anything, hence I think E36 M3 would suit me better than an E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
I have been thinking of eventually getting a track car and going perhaps 6-10 times a year depending on cost.

Was thinking either MX5(the go to track car?) or 180SX(love this car).

How much does it usually end up costing each year for parts and the track fees?
How long is a piece of string I guess.. it can be $150 or so each visit to the track... and then fuel, tyres, brakes... and other maintenance such as oil changes... and then your mods. Yeh this could get expensive haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
I do the same as your plans in a 98 WRX. Budget is a higher as it is pretty quick (300kW ATW and late model 6 speed drivetrain... about $25k). As Peter said, if I got defected the list would be long... so I don't drive it where risk of police pulling over. Does 1:07s at wakefield. Wins most skidpan events I go to, and does 11.0@125MPH at drags.

If I were you, I would consider what you want out of the car. An AWD car will probably be quickest, but a nicely balanced RWD may be more fun.

-- Adrian
Your rexxy sounds like a very well sorted machine ... out of fast or fun, I think I want a bit of both but more emphasis on fun hence leaning slightly towards M3 E36 (or 200sx S15). Evo 7 would be nice and practical though and despite the roll cage in it, a 4 door could be handy haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #28
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

E36 M3 = Old heap of shit = 200SX

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #29
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep

I like my WRX, and it is well sorted, but if you just want to go race a car with minimal hassle, the EVO is a better choice. My WRX is only good because I have put alot of effort into fixing up the things that can go wrong on a WRX. The WRX is very cheap to start with compared to EVO, but needs more money spent to be reliably quick. End result is similar money (if you do the work yourself).

What I will say about EVOs and WRXs and most AWD similar cars is that they can be very fun even compared to a good RWD... but you are generally going alot quicker for the same level of fun, and this can make the fun a bit inaccessible to less experienced drivers. I have nice diffs in my WRX (stock WRX diffs are boring), so it will drift and stay sideways like a good RWD drift car, but it will need to be going alot quicker, and it will be accelerating while drifting, resulting in alot more risk if things go wrong which can be intimidating for less experienced drivers.

I say go the M3 or Sylvia. They can be made very quick and you can have fun without having to go as fast. If you ever want to go and do proper sprints and be competitive, you may come back to the EVO. It would be take a seriously modified M3/Sylvia to keep with a mildly modded EVO.

Of course the GTR is another option (R32-33), but they tend to be expensive to fix when they break compared to alot of other Jap cars I believe. I have never owned one... just going by what I hear. Skycat would know ALOT more about that then me.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #30
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
True, but what about the $20k budget??

I personally prefer the $20k budget. Sure more goes wrong and you have to maintain them, but if you DIY it is not too expensive, and if you do have a bad off, you are not losing $50k. I could reshell my WRX (get new shell and transfer everything to new shell) for around $2-3k and a weekend of work. Old WRXs are available for <$5k fully running and registered. Get one with a block engine/box for a $2-3k and sell leftovers and you may be ahead. Early WRXs are common compared to EVOs/M3s etc. so getting body parts is relatively easy. A friend of mine reshelled a WRX after an off at Wakefield about a year ago, and pretty much broke even.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #31
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

I'd be looking at a racecar someone else is selling for $20K budget.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #32
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep

Quote:
That is certainly a great way to go. Inevitably you lose money when you mod a car to be a race car and then sell it, so you could probably pick up a nice car that someone else modded for $20k.

Only problem with that approach is you inherit any issues on the car. This may include dodgy built engines, DIY work that may fail in safety areas such as Brakes/suspension etc. I prefer to know that I can trust the person turning the spanner on many things (which is me on my car!!). I have also seen many supposedly good engines/gearboxes let go ending in a costly repair.

I recently bought a kart as I am going out karting with my son these days. Got a cheap kart off ebay that was a clean kart in good condition. Engine let go on second outing. $500 repair later and I am at the same price I could have gotten a kart from a dealer with some backup.

You win some you lose some.... but it is certainly the most economical way to get a race car if you win!!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #33
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Me too. http://www.my105.com/

Or I'd be hitting up the auctions for a slightly damaged vehicle. There are a few damaged E36 M3's last time I checked Pickles.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #34
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

E36 would be a money bit. M parts are vastly more expensive than the rest of the range, especially on something that is now 15-20 years old.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #35
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
That is certainly a great way to go. Inevitably you lose money when you mod a car to be a race car and then sell it, so you could probably pick up a nice car that someone else modded for $20k.

Only problem with that approach is you inherit any issues on the car. This may include dodgy built engines, DIY work that may fail in safety areas such as Brakes/suspension etc. I prefer to know that I can trust the person turning the spanner on many things (which is me on my car!!). I have also seen many supposedly good engines/gearboxes let go ending in a costly repair.

I recently bought a kart as I am going out karting with my son these days. Got a cheap kart off ebay that was a clean kart in good condition. Engine let go on second outing. $500 repair later and I am at the same price I could have gotten a kart from a dealer with some backup.

You win some you lose some.... but it is certainly the most economical way to get a race car if you win!!
Good points Adrian.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #36
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Good points boys...

I didn't really consider a rexxy, more of an evo fan personally ...

If the E36 M3 turns out to be costly maintenance then that would be a massive turnoff... looks like the jap cars might be edging ahead... i.e. S15 if I wanted rear wheel drive or Evo... maybe it'll come down to finding the best example of each one I can within my budget.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #37
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
Me too. http://www.my105.com/

Or I'd be hitting up the auctions for a slightly damaged vehicle. There are a few damaged E36 M3's last time I checked Pickles.
have been browsing my105 the past few days... the only thing is those 'race cars' tend to command a premium over say a modded car selling on carsales lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #38
TWD
Australia
Rep
Drives: All sorts of Cars

Quote:
Take it back, Shelswell.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #39
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
Good points boys...

I love rexxys, but the EVO is the better choice for a track car. You pay more initially for equivalent age/condition, but you spend less time/$$ to get them to a given race pace/reliability. Once you spend heaps of $$$ they are similar, but EVOs are better suited to track work out of the box.

But I would still never swap my WRX for an EVO!!

Get an EVO and I will see you at the track!!

With the S15 vs EVO thing, just realise that the EVO limits will be alot higher. You will need to take your brave pills to find them. This ultimately means that you will not learn as much about car control and track driving as you will be less likely to push those limits. It also means you will probably be less likely to have off track excursions. The car has so much capability that even a poor driver can drive it pretty fast, and the difference in lap times between good and bad drivers would be less. If you are looking for driving skill development and general fun and not worried about your lap times too much, I would go the S15.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 01:45 AM   #40
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
MX5 definitely needs to be in that list, Stu. I'm sure Bryan (Guran) will also attest to it's track-ability. If it's power that's on your mind, then consider the SP variant (factory turbo).
+1 to the MX5
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 02:59 AM   #41
thomas135
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
Good points boys...

I love rexxys, but the EVO is the better choice for a track car. You pay more initially for equivalent age/condition, but you spend less time/$$ to get them to a given race pace/reliability. Once you spend heaps of $$$ they are similar, but EVOs are better suited to track work out of the box.

But I would still never swap my WRX for an EVO!!

Get an EVO and I will see you at the track!!

With the S15 vs EVO thing, just realise that the EVO limits will be alot higher. You will need to take your brave pills to find them. This ultimately means that you will not learn as much about car control and track driving as you will be less likely to push those limits. It also means you will probably be less likely to have off track excursions. The car has so much capability that even a poor driver can drive it pretty fast, and the difference in lap times between good and bad drivers would be less. If you are looking for driving skill development and general fun and not worried about your lap times too much, I would go the S15.
You don't happen to be Adrian Vos do you?

If you are, I had one of your chips in my RS Turbo many moons ago...

Sorry for the OT.

What about a 01—02 Sti? They are within budget, parts are cheap and a good platform to modify from. Some reasonable parts from stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 03:14 AM   #42
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
+1
+1
+1
+1
You cant build a race car for $20,000 if you do it will be a pile of crap
ie a $10 car
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 03:50 AM   #43
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

track day car

OK this is how it is. THIS does not include the purchase price of the car.
somthing that will do 1min 7s-9s around Wakefield park A great learner package.
1 Mitsubishi EVO 5/6 $9-10K
2 Subaru GC8 $12K+
3 S15 $12-14K
4 R32 GTR $15-17K
5 MX5 $8K+
6 S13 $12K
7 E36M3 $20K
Then there is the on going costs. Tyres,brakes,intry,fuel,food, $600.00 for each event
Not cheap but great fun
Then there is the 1min 1-3s cars GTR $60,000
EVO $50,000
AND SO ON

I just sold an R33GTR race car that cost to build $156,000 for $50,000
around the park it would do a flat 60s

Stu do your sums What is your total spend ?
What time do you want to do around the park ?

We do this this for a job and have built over 50 race cars for all sorts of people some with money some with not much it is allways more than you think do your sums and then x2 $ = total i kid you not.
But thats how it is
peter@Advan

One more thing this is all DIY and using used parts or from the China parts bin

This is why its best to purchase a running race car that has had the money spent, just do a test day before you purchase you will save heaps.

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 01-25-2012 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #44
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

You should get a Daewoo Lanos and drop 15k into it.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0