BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-13-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
M1chele
Driver Mod
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW/CR 135i

Aftermarket Headlight Bulb Options

Hi all,

I have kind of searched around for some aftermarket head light bulbs but it seems theres a lot more to it than I'm used to.....

Who can help explain to me the differences in products? Ultimately I am looking for the "Bright White" look.... currently I have the xenon with adaptive light control and they are the stock yellowish look (like on the left side)... I want something like the right side:

thanks in advance for any help! Sorry for being such a noob :/
      09-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

If you have the $ OSS design conversions are a very...very nice upgrade
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

The design of the OE lights is pretty poor, it refracts light form the inner ring to the outer ring, which is why the outer ring is always less bright. This is only magnified when you go aftermarket. The best solution by a mile is an OSS type conversion to proper Umnitza rings. Not cheap, but looks beautiful. The best plug and play solution are probably the Lux V3 or V4. But there's no way around dimmer outer rings unless you do a full swap of rings.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
M1chele
Driver Mod
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW/CR 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukuss View Post
If you have the $ OSS design conversions are a very...very nice upgrade
right on, that's what I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
The design of the OE lights is pretty poor, it refracts light form the inner ring to the outer ring, which is why the outer ring is always less bright. This is only magnified when you go aftermarket. The best solution by a mile is an OSS type conversion to proper Umnitza rings. Not cheap, but looks beautiful. The best plug and play solution are probably the Lux V3 or V4. But there's no way around dimmer outer rings unless you do a full swap of rings.
awesome, thanks for the honestly info
      09-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Another option would be to have your Angel Eye rings coded to run a higher voltage. This will make the AE's appear to be slightly whiter. They will still have a yellow look to them, but not as much as stock. That's the route I went - bc there have been way too many AE horror stories posted here.

Also... when a lot of guys install HID AE's or aftermarket bulbs like M-Tek... it always seems that a week or two later than either get condensation inside the headlight housing leading to a AHL failure or bulb failure or footwell module failure. Or all three. When this happens it is not a cheap repair: ~$1,500 per side. So... MAKE SURE that those headlight bulb covers are snapped back on correctly... bc so many people have had "issues" after changing their AE bulbs.
Appreciate 0