BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

135i door window glass removal

Hi All -

We recently removed the door window glass from our 135i to lose some weight. Most of it was pretty straight forward except for getting the glass off of the cable tracks so it can slide out the top. Okay, first get the door panel off (pry off the press fittings). Raise the window and you can see the attachment points at the bottom of the glass.

You will see a Torx T-20 bolt. That may be an option, but unless you have hardened bits and remember to turn that thing Clockwise to loosen it, don't even thing about it. And then I still wouldn't do it. Ours was way too tight. And you'll see why. Think of a screw and trying to unscrew it from the bottom of the threads. That's what that little torx is. It's on the botton of a bigger bolt on the other side.

If you take a mirror and flashlight and look around to the outboard side of that attachment, what you'll see is this. We took this picture once we had the window out of the car for better visibiliy

That big cogged wheel thing is actually attached to the 5mm hex bolt going through the middle of it. We believe the factory uses a special tool to grab the cogs of that wheel and really get some torque on that thing to keep the window nice and tight (no glass rattling).

Well, maybe we would happen the right tool or can make one, but it's easy enough to take a flat punch and a small hammer and tap the wheel to the Counter-clockwise direction (facing the head of the wheel bolt). You may need to adjust the window height to give your hands more room.

Give some taps and it should loosen it up enough for a regular 5mm hex wrench to work. Once you get the wheel out, you'll feel the plastic clip that the glass sits in.

Feel for the tab at the top and pull it away from the glass (you should be able to do it with your finger) and lift the glass out of the holder on each end. Then slide the window out of the door.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2011, 02:07 AM   #2
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Finally I can clean my window!! woohoo

Thanks for the guide!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
Captainrob
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Thanks for the tips. I just changed out the drivers side regulator and it went pretty smooth. I'd still like to lube the channel at the front of the window with some silicone spray. The regulator failed because one of the little metal cable ends came off.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 08:02 AM   #4
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I found that the little crescent wrench that comes with coilovers works really well for getting the big star bolt loose.
Attached Images

Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, BMS Paddleshift upgrade, 261M's Powder Coated Gunmetal, 225/255 Michelin PSS, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, Blacklines, Msport lip spoiler...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
ekurty
Registered
Rep
Drives: 02 325

that dang torx bolt

came across doing a 128 regulator and found myself on this post after breaking a few bits. after poking for a bit and trying a few things i found out the absolute best way to remove the star bolts on the regulator are to use channel locks and get as square as you can. i was able to use a torx on one side and hex on another and turn them simultaneously to get one lose but it was close to stripping. using the pliers on the backside of the window is by far the easiest way to accomplish getting these stubborn fuggers out and not break tools unnecessarily.

Last edited by ekurty; 11-30-2018 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: clarity
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 10:14 PM   #6
QuebecDIY
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i 2008 Coupe

You might have to "teach" the window's motor it's limits once again...
Here's how to proceed:
- Push key in
- Lower window fully down and hold button 5 sec (hold it all the way up to the 2nd notch)
- Raise window fully up and hold button 5 sec (hold it all the way up to the 2nd notch)

You are done
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 03:10 AM   #7
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southjersey128 View Post
I found that the little crescent wrench that comes with coilovers works really well for getting the big star bolt loose.
The BMW tool is a C spanner, specifically sized for the job. Allows you to do the job without door trim removal. As long as you don't drop it

Make a safety strap out of duct tape and flat nylon packaging strap and you will thank yourself later
Appreciate 0