BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
panoz7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Badge Template

I just got my 1 a few weeks ago and discovered this forum last week. It has already been a fantastic resource, and I'm learning a lot.

One of the first threads I stumbled across involved swapping the stock chrome badges for matte black ones. I'm considering doing that but I wanted to try going badge-less for a few weeks first, which brings me to this post. In the thread I read most people are using painters tape to create a template for the new numbers. I didn't want to risk losing / crumpling the painters tape after pealing it off so I created a paper template. I figured it might be useful for others as well, so I'm posting it here.

Start by downloading the template pdf. The verified templates have been confirmed to work by myself or other thread members. The unverified templates were created using the specs supplied by BMW, but have not been tested. The BMW specs do not indicate the thickness of the individual numbers. I was able to make the initial template by measuring the letters on my badge. Numbers other than 1,3,5, and i, may be slightly off. If you use one of the unverified templates and it works please post pictures in this thread. If you need a template made for your model please PM me.

Disclaimer: If you read through the thread you'll see that there's variation in the position of the badge from the factory. These templates were created using a combination of the BMW specs and measurements taken from my car. They should align the badge in the way the factory intended, but may not match your current badge position.

Verified Templates:
E82 135i

Unverifed Templates:
E82 123d

Print it out from acrobat with page scaling turned off. Once you print it verify that it printed at the correct size using the ruler scale on the left. You can then cut it out -- an xacto works best, but scissors would be fine too. It aligns with the edge of the CHMSL and the top and right edge of the license plate indent (see the photos). I set it up so that it aligns with the seams just where they start to curve away.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.
Attached Images

Last edited by panoz7; 12-30-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 2
Almuliman414.50
      06-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Awesome thx
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Xios135
First Lieutenant
Bouvet Island
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB CLA Edition 1

Garage List
You might want to post this in the DIY forum.
      06-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
panoz7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiosmx5 View Post
You might want to post this in the DIY forum.
Sure thing. Would you suggest re-posting it over their or should I request that a mod move it? In another forum I frequent cross-posting is a big no-no.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

This is really helpful! Wish I had this when I put on my black badge a couple years back after a while of going badgeless

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

DUDE!! thank you SOOO much! i bought some matte black emblems for my icarbon trunk and i've been waiting to install them because i want to get it right. i have the PDF from BMW that gives measurements on where to place them but i was still hesitant cause i want to get it perfect.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
chrisN
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw 125i coupe

Garage List
2010 125i  [8.66]
very generous of you mate. great contribution
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

just threw the template on my stock trunk that has matte black emblems installed and the cutout didn't match up perfectly with the characters. you'll see that the top of the cutout is overlapping the top of the emblems and the bottom of the cutout isn't even close to meeting the bottom of the emblems in the picture. i made THIS DIY so i know the matte black emblems are in the same exact spot as my stock emblems. could it be that every car's emblems are not exactly the same?

could some of you guys that have stock chrome emblems print out the template and confirm this please? thanks!

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
panoz7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM 135i View Post
could some of you guys that have stock chrome emblems print out the template and confirm this please? thanks!
I hope I didn't mess anything up for you. From the picture it looks as if the other markings are lining up correctly -- it's just the hole for the numbers that's off. Is that correct?

It would be great if someone else could confirm that my template matches the badges on their car. My car was a CPO and I guess it's possible that the dealer removed the badges to detail it and didn't properly reinstall them. If that's the case I'll go by my local dealer, get the proper measurements, and upload a new template.

P.S. Your DIY was incredibly helpful. Thanks for putting that together.

Last edited by panoz7; 06-11-2011 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

naww you didn't mess anything up for me , yeah all the markings line up correctly just the cutout didn't.

hope to get the placement confirmed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz7 View Post
I hope I didn't mess anything up for you. From the picture it looks as if the other markings are lining up correctly -- it's just the hole for the numbers that's off. Is that correct?

It would be great if someone else could confirm that my template matches the badges on their car. My car was a CPO and I guess it's possible that the dealer removed the badges to detail it and didn't properly reinstall them. If that's the case I'll go by my local dealer, get the proper measurements, and upload a new template.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
panoz7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
naww you didn't mess anything up for me , yeah all the markings line up correctly just the cutout didn't.

hope to get the placement confirmed...
Whew. Glad to hear that. I might head by the dealer tomorrow and see for my self. I was planning on taking the badges off tomorrow afternoon but I don't want to do it until I'm absolutely sure I'm putting them back on in the right place.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Lol you guys are so anal. I did mine by eye and I think it came out alright.. at least nobody's said anything yet

the cutout really woulda helped me back then!

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #13
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz7 View Post
Whew. Glad to hear that. I might head by the dealer tomorrow and see for my self. I was planning on taking the badges off tomorrow afternoon but I don't want to do it until I'm absolutely sure I'm putting them back on in the right place.
NICE! thanks a lot man! if i may request, could you check it on a few 135's to compare...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Lol you guys are so anal. I did mine by eye and I think it came out alright.. at least nobody's said anything yet

the cutout really woulda helped me back then!
lol yeah i know it's nothing big but small things like knowing my badges aren't placed perfectly would bug the hell outta me
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #14
matt
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: munichs finest

you guys are aware that there is a offical bmw install instruction?

pm me and ill send it to you.
      06-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #15
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post

pm me and ill send it to you.
Or just attach it here?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #16
panoz7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
NICE! thanks a lot man! if i may request, could you check it on a few 135's to compare...
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it by the dealer yesterday. I may swing by this evening if I have time after work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt
Does the bmw install instruction provide a template or just measurements? Maybe I could use it to confirm that the template I created is correct. I don't believe I can PM yet, but if you could email it to grif.friedman at gmail dot com i'd appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #17
matt
Captain
Germany
Rep

provides meassurement. see attachment

please tell me if your template is correct.
i used to badge after the bmw instructions, but it takes alot of time doing it correct, therefore it would be nice to use your template.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RA Modell-Bezeichnung hinten ab- und anbauen_ersetzen.pdf (42.9 KB, 1375 views)
      06-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #18
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Thanks matt
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #19
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

yeah that is the PDF i was referring to in my OP, hopefully it will help you with getting the template made with the correct position. i have the one matt attached (in German) and one in English, here's the English one...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Almuliman414.50
      06-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #20
panoz7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks Matt, that was very helpful. According to those numbers the badge on my car is about 5 mm too low. I've updated the template accordingly and replaced the original PDF in the OP with the new (hopefully correct) version.

One thing that I'm still a little confused about is that in BSM 135i's photo it looks as if the cut out is not only too low but also somewhat crooked. Maybe that's just an optical illusion, but it would still be nice if someone could confirm that the template fits with their factory badges.

Here's a screenshot of the updated template with a virtual piece of tape:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #21
matt
Captain
Germany
Rep

so you meassured the printed version and now your template is correct according to bmw install instructions?

because I want to badge my car tomorrow so I know if I have to take the long or short route

anyways...did you thing about diffrences when people print it out?
like a printer may zooms in or out?
you should add a reference to your pdf!
like two lines that have 10mm space (for people who use metric system like me)
and two lines that have 1 inch space (for u.s.)

like this: I I
      06-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #22
panoz7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
so you meassured the printed version and now your template is correct according to bmw install instructions?

because I want to badge my car tomorrow so I know if I have to take the long or short route

anyways...did you thing about diffrences when people print it out?
like a printer may zooms in or out?
you should add a reference to your pdf!
like two lines that have 10mm space (for people who use metric system like me)
and two lines that have 1 inch space (for u.s.)

like this: I I
Good idea! I added a scale to the template in the first post. As long as the file is printed from acrobat and page-scaling is set to none in the print dialog it should print out at the correct size.

The positioning of the badge should be correct according to the bmw install instructions. The distance between individual letters on the badge may be off by a 10th of a mm or so. They don't match up exactly to what bmw specifies but I don't want to adjust them without knowing the exact width of the individual letters. I'm not sure if it would be possible to line up the letters with that much precision anyway, so I'm not going to worry about it for now. If anybody has some calipers and can measure the exact width of the letters I can update the template.

I'm going to head over to my local dealer in an hour or so to see if the new template lines up, and I'll report back.

EDIT: The forum won't seem to let me attach the newest template pdf so I uploaded to my webserver instead: http://griffinfriedman.com/pdf/debadgediagram_new.pdf

Last edited by panoz7; 06-13-2011 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0