BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-29-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

US bloke saying hi

Having spent a few days in Melbourne and Adelaide it's good to see the BMW brand well represented. I only saw a few 1ers but they looked great.

I stopped by the BMW dealer in Southbank and they had one of the biggest showrooms outside Munich. What led me into the dealership was the i8 they had in the window. Turned out to be made of plastic. What a letdown.

Question: how do you guys afford BMWs? Used 135is is selling for about a 40% premium over the US prices.

Anyway, take care mates and I enjoyed my time in OZ. If you ever get to the great state of Ohio USA, ring me up.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 02:25 AM   #2
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Glad you enjoyed your stay mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56 View Post
What led me into the dealership was the i8 they had in the window. Turned out to be made of plastic. What a letdown.
Yeah it's a joke, I was thinking the same thing - didn't even know that had the 'model' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56 View Post
Question: how do you guys afford BMWs? Used 135is is selling for about a 40% premium over the US prices.
Our average wage is higher but you are right, luxury vehicles are really 'luxury' vehicles. You do now know how many threads go along the lines of "If I was in the U.S I'd buy a GTR etc etc'.
      07-29-2014, 02:38 AM   #3
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

Glad you enjoyed your stay bud. I bought my car from that very dealship and I also agree, a plastic i8 is so very lame! Did you check out the Aston Martin dealership up the road?
      07-29-2014, 04:57 AM   #4
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56
Having spent a few days in Melbourne and Adelaide it's good to see the BMW brand well represented. I only saw a few 1ers but they looked great.

I stopped by the BMW dealer in Southbank and they had one of the biggest showrooms outside Munich. What led me into the dealership was the i8 they had in the window. Turned out to be made of plastic. What a letdown.

Anyway, take care mates and I enjoyed my time in OZ. If you ever get to the great state of Ohio USA, ring me up.
Hi nice of you to check into our Oz section. Have a safe trip back stateside!!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:00 AM   #5
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
the US has buying power!

California BMW car sales for 1 month = ~12 months of Australia wide sales.

It sucks that we have to pay so much for cars over here. Hopefully when the Aussie car makers finally end making cars over here, that cars will at least become a little cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
Overpar56
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post
Glad you enjoyed your stay bud. I bought my car from that very dealship and I also agree, a plastic i8 is so very lame! Did you check out the Aston Martin dealership up the road?
Missed that but heard a few while walking. That and the Masseratis.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
Overpar56
Rep

While in Munich back in May I did see the i8 on display. Nice. We have i3s now for sale. My dealer offered me a test drive but, well, it looks dorky.

I can't wait until tomorrow (or is it Thursday?) to fire up the 1er parked at the airport and drive it home. I miss it. More than the wife.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #8
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moocow
the US has buying power!

California BMW car sales for 1 month = ~12 months of Australia wide sales.

It sucks that we have to pay so much for cars over here. Hopefully when the Aussie car makers finally end making cars over here, that cars will at least become a little cheaper.
I'm so hoping that too. But 'they' are probably of the thinking "greed is good". No harm in hoping though
Appreciate 0