BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-11-2007, 11:47 AM   #45
danp
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
I think I probably would [replace the badges with an M badge]. At the very least, it cleans up the rear by replacing all of that badging with one simple badge. Plus, with all the M Sport treatment, you could at least justify that the M badge is there for something...
Well the 116i is available with the M Sport treatment! (here in the UK)

I cannot stand it when people plaster ///M badges all over their non ///M cars...tho' I guess BMW is partly guilty by offering such packs across the whole range, devalues the real ///M somewhat I'd say.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #46
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by danp View Post

I cannot stand it when people plaster ///M badges all over their non ///M cars...tho' I guess BMW is partly guilty by offering such packs across the whole range, devalues the real ///M somewhat I'd say.
Normally, I agree with you but for some reason the 135i sort of begs for an M badge. Hell, they put them all over the interior...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #47
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by danp View Post

As long as there are some M bits on the car I can understand the ///M badging. What I don't get is when I see ///M or AMG badging on cars that clearly don't have any M or AMG parts. I don't get it, but hey it's not my car so have at it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #48
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

i think hondas look hot with ///M badges
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #49
imported_Sweeper
Private
Rep
Drives:

Like this...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 01:16 PM   #50
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep

not a honda but its close enough

hahahahaahahah
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 01:53 PM   #51
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

That's too funny!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #52
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna550 View Post
BMW M1

BMW is about to do to the 1-series what it did to the 3-series years ago: stretch it every which way, filling existing niches and creating new, exciting ones too - headed by a red-hot M version. The M1 badge would be resurrected on a very different beast to the landmark 1970s supercar though; this time it'll feature on the rump of the new 1-series coupe, standard versions of which will arrive next year.

To give the 1-series a badly needed image boost, BMW is reconsidering the M1. This project was originally scheduled to arrive at this year's Detroit Motor Show back in January. Under Ulrich Bruhnke, who recently left the company, the M division had proposed four different M1 spin-offs: a coupe, a lightweight GTR, a cabriolet and the E82 M1 touring. The latter model died altogether, the GTR was deemed too expensive despite its motorsport potential, and the fate of the drop-top was of course linked to that of the coupe. Both have now been confirmed.

Next year, BMW will launch the regular two-door versions of the 1-series. Aimed with high hopes at the North American market are the coupe and convertible which look a touch more elegant than the rather ungainly hatchbacks, despite the same oversize headlamps, sagging fat-belly cutline along the door sills and that squashed tail end.
Wow, I really like the M1 look. We can do that with the 135i..won't be long after it's out that we can do the dual exhaust look by changing the rear to accomodate the dual tip. Then have an exhaust for dual setup.

Also, I really like the hood bulge like the E46 M3 in that photo. Side grills are cool too I guess and front bumper is slightly different.

I think the 135i can be made close to this look and just leave the side grills off, I would be happy with that.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 01:11 PM   #53
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep

the headlights are the biggest visual difference if you ask me.. but i believe that is an artists rendering from before we even had released pics of the 135 so theres really no telling what on that is based on reality
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #54
papagn78
Registered
Rep
Drives: 02

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelSmart View Post
Have you seen how cramped the 135i engine bay is? There isn't enough room in there for an after market sway bar let alone a larger displacement naturally aspirated M engine. Also, like everyone else has said: the M1 is a mid-engine super car.
Lol...If you are trying to install a sway bar in the engine bay you are going to have bigger problems. You are thinking of a strut tower bar.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 09:51 PM   #55
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
s54 does not pass emissions for 2008. This is the last year of the Z4M and this engine will be discontinued. I dought they will make a new Six. The new gen Z will get the V8 in the M, and they will not put a V8 in a 1.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 07:51 AM   #56
UJackM
Private
Rep
Drives:

Guys, there is one thing you need to keep in mind, THE NAME. It is the name that legendary Lamborighini-BMW held. It cannot be messed easily. No matter how good performance-wise it is, I am not sure if BMW wants to use the same name on its basement model.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 11:53 AM   #57
gotgemini2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 & E46 M3, 6 speed manuals

The original M1 was a failed project, not a legendary super car.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 02:50 PM   #58
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

I see two ways they could do a super-1.
The first is the 135Tii, with substantial weight loss, LSD, suspension tuning, and beefed up N54. Bigger turbos(along with a few extra pounds of boost), better IC and Oil Cooling, dual exhaust could easily yield a reliable 380-400+hp, which is what this car needs to be sold in the 45-50k pricerange as a pure sports car.

The other way they could do it, is to add an M badge (who really cares what they call it. They're smart, they'll figure it out), and build a higher displacement, direct injection N52 (N56?) that revs to 8500. Pretty sure if they bored and sleeved that block they could get 3.2l out of it, I recall there being a lot of room between cylinders. With direct injection they could provide highly efficient fuel delivery even at stratospheric RPMs. With current technology they could probably hold it together until 9,000rpms, and deliver over 130hp/L. I think they want to shoot for 380-430. 430 would give the car more HP than a Corvette, justifying a $5k price premium.

I think their main targets with this car will be Corvette, Elise, CTS-V, big HP american cars in the upper 30s-low 40s, Boxster, perhaps even with the goal of providing a cheaper alternative to the 911, with an equal driving experience for a fraction of the cost.

I think 1 series with 380-430hp and chassis tuning would probably start around 48, and end up around 55 once you add on a few options. This kinda fills in the place in the pricerange that the E46M3 took, and I think such a car could compete favorably against the Corvette, the big robber of sales for $40-60k sports cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 03:50 PM   #59
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post
I see two ways they could do a super-1.
The first is the 135Tii, with substantial weight loss, LSD, suspension tuning, and beefed up N54. Bigger turbos(along with a few extra pounds of boost), better IC and Oil Cooling, dual exhaust could easily yield a reliable 380-400+hp, which is what this car needs to be sold in the 45-50k pricerange as a pure sports car.

The other way they could do it, is to add an M badge (who really cares what they call it. They're smart, they'll figure it out), and build a higher displacement, direct injection N52 (N56?) that revs to 8500. Pretty sure if they bored and sleeved that block they could get 3.2l out of it, I recall there being a lot of room between cylinders. With direct injection they could provide highly efficient fuel delivery even at stratospheric RPMs. With current technology they could probably hold it together until 9,000rpms, and deliver over 130hp/L. I think they want to shoot for 380-430. 430 would give the car more HP than a Corvette, justifying a $5k price premium.

I think their main targets with this car will be Corvette, Elise, CTS-V, big HP american cars in the upper 30s-low 40s, Boxster, perhaps even with the goal of providing a cheaper alternative to the 911, with an equal driving experience for a fraction of the cost.

I think 1 series with 380-430hp and chassis tuning would probably start around 48, and end up around 55 once you add on a few options. This kinda fills in the place in the pricerange that the E46M3 took, and I think such a car could compete favorably against the Corvette, the big robber of sales for $40-60k sports cars.

/agree

I think it's alot easier than that. Knowing the 135i weighs 3373lbs and the n54 can get 400hp stock, there isn't much needed to get the Tii concept a great starting block for motorposting. aka Clubsport.

With use of a CF hood, CF roof you probably saving 35lbs right there (ie no moonroof). If Shiv (Vishnu tunning) can extract all that power out of the biturbo, then BMW can do 80% of that and keep it realiable and under warranty without touching on durability.

So the Tii Concept will probably come in around 3,100lbs with 365hp/380ft-lb of torque, your already talking about a significant hp-to-weight ratio.

Fatter tyres, lighter rims and a more agressive chasis will make it more nimble than anything BMW has produced in 10 years, possibly close to the Porsche Cayman S

Toss in a Limited Slip Differential, more efficient FMIC, less restrictive lightweight exhaust and your on the 911's doorstep.

I'm sure BMW has more than that planned. They seem pretty eager to reclaim their motorsport image. There is no need to reclaim the M bage. I think BMW is going farther back with this car... They need a new racing pedigree, I think the Tii might be it!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #60
steinkek
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I really agree with the last two posts.

The M1 or tii will happen but i would say give it 1-2 years.
BMW has needed to get on board and take on the STI and EVO for a long time and i think that this might just do it.

The reason for a bit higher price over the STI/EVO is the fact that its a BMW and it will be much nicer inside than the others.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #61
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinkek View Post
I really agree with the last two posts.

The M1 or tii will happen but i would say give it 1-2 years.
BMW has needed to get on board and take on the STI and EVO for a long time and i think that this might just do it.

The reason for a bit higher price over the STI/EVO is the fact that its a BMW and it will be much nicer inside than the others.

It won't be an M1 though, BMW really cannot use that designation. Due to possible legal or intellectual right dealing with lambo.

Thats why they releases the Tii Concept...!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #62
///MG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '05 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
It won't be an M1 though, BMW really cannot use that designation. Due to possible legal or intellectual right dealing with lambo.

Thats why they releases the Tii Concept...!
Save for a few BMW enthusiasts, what percentage of the typical luxury car buyers group (MB, BMW, Audi, Lexus, etc...) actually know of or heard of the M1? In all honesty. Keep in mind the car was pulled from production nearly 3 decades ago. I can admit that I had never heard of it, yet again my age has a large factor to do with that. If they chose to use the M1 nomer would that really hinder any sales or piss off any BMW diehards? It would more than likely be a great success anyways, just look how the 135i is doing thus far.

Also, I know Lambo failed to keep up their end fo the agreement for the production of the M1 leading the car to be developed by the M division. That may release BMW from any legal obligations.

I think the M1 will happen, although not anytime soon. If they truly do make an M1, I'm putting my money on an I6 engine with outputs of 370 hp+ in addition to much lighter weight than the soon to be 135i.

Garrett - Still a good point on the concept of the Tii though.
Appreciate 0