BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

04-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

BMW M1

As we are officially in the approach path of the new BMW 1er Coupe.

There are 4 Core reasons why there is a strategy that exists for a BMW M1 Coupe.

One.- With the M3 Coupe now inheriting a V8 and moving up a segment. Their is belief that there is space for a BMW M1 Coupe and the 1er looks set to be the occupant for this vacancy. BMW engineers are in no denial about having something "back to basics" a very hardcore driving experience with a high revving engine sufficient power and astounding dynamics .

Two.- With the BMW 1er Coupe being developed for certain key markets such as North America and Canada , BMW need a car with the Halo effect to sell the image of the BMW 1er Coupe. it is no secret that customers begin from the basic models and work themselves to the top of BMW's product list - effectively by having an aspiring model that provides the halo effect to the rest of the range. That is the key to successful marketing - A BMW M car has a very profound effect thanks to it's status , desirability and image on the other models of BMW's model range. A BMW M1 Coupe is entirely essential in order for the 1er to win over the North American and Canadian market and the these markets would certainly require an M model of the BMW 1er coupe.

Three.- It is an opportunity far too great to miss. A return to a dynamic , entertaining and fun compact performance car in the vain of the classic E30 M3.
All BMW Coupes from the 3er to the 6er have come in an M variant. And plans are much proceeding in the direction for a BMW M1 Coupe.

Four . Until the next generation model arrives The M1 Will effectively replace the current Z4M Coupe . By late 2008 the next generation Z4 will be about to enter production for first market North American sales. As a last finale current Z4 M Coupe will receive the V8 engine from the M3 . Until the next Coupe arrives on the market.
The M1 will plug the gap until the next generation models arrive more in likely with the BMW M3's V8.

One of the earliest strategies was when the V10 was being used to develop the new BMW M3 V8 engine that they considered using the V8 to develop the engine for the M1 Coupe. Unrealistically this would be a V6 but this was quickly dismissed as BMW does not pose a healthy attitude to V6 engines instead enjoying the smooth transition of power you can only get with six-cylinder power.
The new engine under development heralds from a new magnesium block evolved from the engine of the previous BMW M3 and the current BMW Z4M Coupe and Roadster.
As the engine does not incorporate areas of technology BMW are keen to utilise in their "Efficient Dynamics" programme. Basically it is technology that was not considered when that engine was first conceived in the mid nineties.
The Old engine effectively gets a rebuild to utilise modern energy management technology and achieve stringent emission targets.

Aswell as a manual to really emphasize the passion of the "drivers M3" The E30 The M1 will also be available with the incoming ZSG gear box technology. The engine output is expected to be around 350 PS - development mules have already hit the streets.
Effectively BMW need this car to stabilise the image of the lower Coupe and Cabrio models especially in the North American and Canadian market.

The BMW M1 Coupe will certainly inherit some of it's toned looks and technologies seen with the other M cars available and ones around the corner. BMW always stress that it's M Division cars are not just tuned-up performance versions of the top end luxury models. every M car is different from steering to handling to chassis tuning and performance. An Mcar is greater than the sum of it's parts.

The BMW M1 will follow these ideals by also offering cutting edge developments such as the Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic roof , lightweight body panels and aerodynamic M styling treatment. With styling taking a cue with the new BMW M3 Coupe but with the front appearance becoming more angular with a trapese shape for the central intake.

Initially available as only a Coupe and a Convertible BMW are seriously considering throwing the 3dr hatch into the mix - Although if greenlighted this would be for European/Asian markets only.

Until such a car as the M1 arrives in the meantime BMW will offer a Ltd edition 135i M-Sport - Confined to only the Coupe and 3dr Hatch only this will be the gap until the M1 comes along. To emphasize the sporting credentials of the Coupe the base petrol model will be the 120 Si using the four cylinder petrol engine that was in the limited edition BMW 320Si WTCC Car.

Additionally BMW will eventually offer the BMW/PSA co-operation of the incoming four cylinder Turbo charged model . Although the collaboration has frightened many there is nothing to be apprehensive about - Both companies applie their special requirements and "magic" to their project.
With the BMW project promising "best in it's class" credentials - BMW engine development engineers just don't like winning many awards for nothing.
The same goes for diesel - Now equally well renowned for their diesel powerplants as well as their petrol powered powerplants BMW will again offer the cream of diesel power including the latest 204HP diesel in the 125d.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

I am absolutely lost for words. A V8 in a Z4??? HOLY SH*T.

So for the U.S. market, at the launch we should expect a 135i and a 120si? Dosent a 120si have 170hp? The gap between that and the 135i would be outrageous.

Personally I dont belive North Americans would pay near 30,000 for a 170hp car. The base model of this car would NEED at least 230hp in my opinion to be competitive. Plus, it would be a great idea to have a diesel version as an option.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Aswell as a manual to really emphasize the passion of the "drivers M3" The E30 The M1 will also be available with the incoming ZSG gear box technology.
Since you brought it up, any word on where the ZSG transmission is? I've had my eye on the matter for years, and was all prepared for it for the launch of the E92, and then no-show. Twin clutch transmissions are really spectacular, and coming off nearly 2 decades of driving 3 series with manuals, I can tell you that transmissions like the ZSG or Volkswagen's DSG are simply where the future is at.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
aMetalhead
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46

Interesting info thanks. Was there much discussion about whether branding something M1 is somehow a disservice to the original M1?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

The BMW M1 will follow these ideals by also offering cutting edge developments such as the Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic roof ,
So that's why the coupe mules had all that camo on the roof.

VERY interesting. A newly updated, lighter M version of a strait six in a 1 coupe! Sounds fantastic. Well, except I won't be able to afford it, but still!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Here is an announcement previously posted on GermanCarZone on 16/03/07.
It gives you all the info in the marketing direction of the 1er Coupe and it's nomenclature.
Although the purpose of this text was to be a clandestine announcement of the (then) incoming BMW Concept CS.

Quote:
" Forwards not Backwards" : BMW Group into 2010 and Beyond. (updated)

Today I attended a marketing meeting concerning a very exciting project agenda within the BMW Group.
I will update in due course of what I am allowed to reveal.
Many new models were confirmed and ideas from basic strategies and designers visions were proposed and presented to marketing.

First of all it is now definite that BMW have decided to call their baby Coupe and Cabrio series as 1er. The 2er which was strongly proposed as their was quite a few arguments for this nomenclature. Most importantly was the design connection and overall purpose to be a modern day incarnation of the 2002, as both the 2002 and the new Coupe share the same "Bath Tub" shoulder line.

There is an M1 and it is a classic but now BMW believe that because their successful small car the 1er is very much an important part of it's current and future model strategy It is right to move forwards and not backwards with the 1er . So their will be a M1 based on the 1er Coupe using a new six cylinder engine expected to deliver round about 350 PS BMW also announced that when the time comes there will be a M1 concept car.

Which all future M-Cars in Coupe form will feature the Reinforced Carbon Fibre Roof and additional CSL model for more hardcore performance and dynamics . BMW M is to become the pinnacle for BMW's "Efficient Dynamics" programme
in the greater flexibility of utilising lightweight materials , body panels and cutting edge technology to become the most efficient and dynamic cars in it's segment.

The success and nostalgia of the 2002 is highly evident in North America and BMW want to tap into this area of 2002 owners who have never felt there is a car in the current BMW product line that has great simularities with the 02 series. Although the key market will be the youth segment people moving up to their first car "their first BMW"
Also we want to target the progression from MINI . In europe for example young People have progresssed from MINI Cooper-MINI Cooper S - BMW 1er again we are hoping for a similar effect with the North American debut of the 1er Coupe and Cabrio. initially only Coupe and Cabrio models will be available in the North American/Canadian market there is no plans to introduce the 3dr or 5dr model to these markets. BMW will release teaser adverts annoucing the arrival of the 1er to North America prior to it's debut : for example one will contain the headlights of the 1er with the caption " Some say that if you look into someone's eyes you can see their soul....we can..." and in the headlights is the 2002.

The Coupe and Cabrio are as you say the "Acid Test" for North America and Canada if successful then the next generation of 1er models which will emulate the current platform variants that have been-or-still-to-be-launched and additional models such as a Roadster an X1 lifestyle vehicle and an F1 CSV (Compact Sport Vehicle).

The next expansion will be for the X-series first up with the SAC (Sport Activity Coupe) The BMW X6. And BMW are very excited about this car because it is a trendsetter . With Manufacturers unleashing their SUV Coupe Concepts from Detroit-Frankfurt illustrates how much this idea is taking off it is very radical project from a company such as BMW that maintains it's conservatism as it's status.

The X6 is radical because it has been developed as a performance car - X-drive and additional driver aids will be promoted for the X6 as for more control . Technology being introduced in the X6 will make this stand out by offering road orientated performance and dynamics.
The X6's success will determine if the additional X6 models such as a Coupe and Cabrio get the green light. But first will be BMW M's first foray into the non Sedan ,Coupe and cabrio market The X6-M again as this is a Coupe model a Carbon Fibre Roof will feature strongly in it's weight saving plan.
Expected to be powered by an upgraded V10 engine BMW will position the X6-M right into the bowels of performance Coupe owners with families and the need for luggage space.Although the sloping coupe roof line of the X6 suggests headroom is not going to be class leading their will be space for four The dash design will be similar to owners of the X5 but be more upright and driver orientated.

There is no chance of BMW reinstating the X7 project as BMW believe the X5 is sufficient for the US Market. A small mid size X4 will sit above the next X3 which becomes more sport orientated and dynamic looking with sloped back roof and shallow glass area - It will still look like a SAV but will be more dynamic looking than today's X3.

Update #1:

After the huge risk BMW took in the late nineties with the X5 and the introduction of a new series of models under the X-badge although with only the X3 , the new X5 and the incoming X6 The X-Series has not expanded as much until now .

Today BMW consider the next ambitious series called "F" will be more risky than introducing the first X series model the X5.
Although the X5 had to wait to be established before committing to a smaller X3 model , BMW are prepping a series of models under their core products the 5er , 3er and the 1er.
With the F5 known internally as RFK , the F3 known internally as "Coupe Space" and the F1 known as CSV or Compact Sport Vehicle. Of these projects F5 will arrive first and will be positioned above the 5er Touring . Known all to well that the Mercedes-Benz R-Klasse has not exactly set it's target market (North America) on Fire .

BMW are aiming the F5 at the European market and differing the F5 from the R-Klasse in not only looks but promising true car like dynamics and handling with the latest high performance engines BMW have to offer.
F5 which it's styling has already been internally leaked to the outside world showcases a low slung coupe like vehicle a cross between a Coupe and a shooting brake , shallow glass area and an aggressively styled front facia with angled snake eye slits for headlamps and a dramatic wide kidney grille with titanium facings. The RFK will also be the first BMW to incorporate "Suicide doors" The F5 will be offered with 5 seats initially - The rear packaging is the most interesting feature which features a centalized rear seat seat forward from the individual rear seats . BMW will also offer a seven seat option similar to the X5 and intended for child use only. Given the sole demographic BMW are aiming for the RFK will be the first non M-BMW to offer a Carbon fibre roof the results this brings to the F5 keeping the weight and the car's center of gravity down is nothing short of appealing - BMW say that we make Sporty Dynamic cars such as Compacts,sedans,Coupes,Roadsters,Tourings and SAV's The RFK will be no different.

The RFK will be part of the four vehicles BMW are developing to bridge the gap to Rolls-Royce. Along with the RFK , There will be the Z10 Roadster and the next 7er and BMW's exciting four door Coupe the Z9.

Whilst everyone is answering to the question that has been successfully answered by the Mercedes-Benz CLS-Klasse BMW are concentrating on making their interpretation as further upmarket as possible , positioning it above the 7er and aiming straight at Porsche's Panamera and Aston Martin's Rapide in fact if BMW acquired Aston Martin then the Rapide would be the car we are talking about, alas they did not and Z9 will replace that piece of the jigsaw.

The Z9 will be based on architecture and platform modules from the next 6er Coupe and the next 7er . The Z9 is aiming right at the Panamera by offering a strong four door Coupe shape with strong sloping roof line and short rear deck . Z9 will be the Flagship for BMW in style , performance , luxury and dynamics , Uniquely for this car it will receive a four door suicide set up with hidden rear handles and entry points located internally. Space will be limited to four and the interiors will be prepared by BMW's "Individual" programme . The Z9 will basically be a Coupe version of the Z10 Roadster which will feature a folding hardtop roof using Painted Carbon Fibre.

Both cars share the same front end and rear end styling with a very wide Kidney grille , small aggressive shaped lights and the rear with wrap around lights similar to the California Spyder project - Z10 and Z9 will bridge BMW to Rolls-Royce's sedan below the Phantom - The Seraph.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Thanks SCOTT for the info. I am wary of BMW expanding its model lineup so aggressively. There is a difference between being a trendsetter and greedy IMO.....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

What the point of that high strung 3.2 6? factory chip 3.0TT, make it 350/350 and call it a day.. That engine is a marvel..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #9
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
What the point of that high stung 3.2 6? factory chip 3.0TT, make it 350/350 and call it a day.. That engine is a marvel..

Thats what I'm saying But if they wanna do an M, who are we to complain. As sweet as an M would be, I've been reading about the tuning capability of the turbos. SICK is all I have to say.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
amdmaxx
United_States
Rep

I'll take suspension of M and carbon roof (if its coming) with tuned 3.0TT and be very happy..
Perhaps M sport edition of 135i will do..
I also want to see a diesel hatch 120d in US.. Fuel sipper with utility and BMW name...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #11
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
I'll take suspension of M and carbon roof (if its coming) with tuned 3.0TT and be very happy..
Perhaps M sport edition of 135i will do..
I also want to see a diesel hatch 120d in US.. Fuel sipper with utility and BMW name...

what engine do u think should be the base when they launch?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 09:04 PM   #12
amdmaxx
United_States
Rep

Diesel!
Some web sites reporting that BMW is thinking of introducing 4 cylinders engines in US (gas, that is) due to rising gas prices.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 09:40 PM   #13
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

I agree with you. The diesel as the base car would be sweet man.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 12:23 PM   #14
Galligan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Woah that's very convincing.

I can't wait for them to give us an M1. The new M3 will be completely out of my price range, but I think I might be able to swing an M1. Bless you BMW for giving us a baby ///M coupe/convertible. :roundel:

I wonder if the current M1 owners however few there are, will be pissed about this :iono:
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 01:14 PM   #15
amdmaxx
United_States
Rep

M3 prices were released in UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galligan View Post
Woah that's very convincing.

I can't wait for them to give us an M1. The new M3 will be completely out of my price range, but I think I might be able to swing an M1. Bless you BMW for giving us a baby ///M coupe/convertible. :roundel:

I wonder if the current M1 owners however few there are, will be pissed about this :iono:
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #16
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

leftlanenews.com dosent believe its going to come in at less than 60,000 US. Thats a 12,000 hike! Oh there will be an M1!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #17
Declan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Sorry but leftlanenews doesn't know an ounce more than what we know here probably. They're not industry insiders at all. It's basically just a blog where they collect auto news stories and buy spy photos and speculate.

That said, from what Scott26 said, I believe there will be an M1. :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #18
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Sorry but leftlanenews doesn't know an ounce more than what we know here probably. They're not industry insiders at all. It's basically just a blog where they collect auto news stories and buy spy photos and speculate.

That said, from what Scott26 said, I believe there will be an M1. :headbang:

Well excuuuuuuuse me...lol
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 02:10 PM   #19
Declan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Heh nothing personal, just get tired of reading all these "authority" sites speculate and sometimes pull #'s out of thin air.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #20
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Heh nothing personal, just get tired of reading all these "authority" sites speculate and sometimes pull #'s out of thin air.
yeah, i agree. but lets see how close they are.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 05:49 AM   #21
amdmaxx
United_States
Rep

Speculation comes in @ 68k... 85 nicely loaded..

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
leftlanenews.com dosent believe its going to come in at less than 60,000 US. Thats a 12,000 hike! Oh there will be an M1!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 06:30 AM   #22
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I am absolutely lost for words. A V8 in a Z4??? HOLY SH*T.

So for the U.S. market, at the launch we should expect a 135i and a 120si? Dosent a 120si have 170hp? The gap between that and the 135i would be outrageous.

Personally I dont belive North Americans would pay near 30,000 for a 170hp car. The base model of this car would NEED at least 230hp in my opinion to be competitive. Plus, it would be a great idea to have a diesel version as an option.
Agree...the spread is too wide between base and the 135. I look for the regular 3.0 to be an obvious choice for the 1-er.
And, I imagine that BMW is going to start to finalize this info for N/A when the car debuts in Frankfurt.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread