Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post
^where did you hear/read that? that would be perfect. no it doesnt make sense to put both in the lineup, if they made a M1 the 135 would cease production. itd be a high revving inline N/A 6, lsd, CF roof, stiffer suspension etc.

and as was said, why would they admit to an upcoming M1 if theyre trying to sell 135s?
The M1 would have to offer something greater than the twin-turbo I6 and I don't think an N/A 6 would do that (and the pic of the engine with ITB's was truly laughable). Look at the M3... they have a TT6 335i and they had to put a V8 to up the ante. This is simply not practical in the 1-series.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #24
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

im saying the two would not be in production/competition at the same time. the M would be like a update on the 135, return to roots. no need to "up the ante" to the same extent as with the 3 series, something with comparable or slightly increased output in N/A (M) fashion. any credible evidence suggested (*cough* scott) an engine based on the e46 s54 3.2l, revamped with an aluminum block and direct injection. and an increase in displacement to 3.5 would be great, i honestly didnt even look at the picture until now.. looks like it was developed in the 90s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post
^where did you hear/read that? that would be perfect. no it doesnt make sense to put both in the lineup, if they made a M1 the 135 would cease production. itd be a high revving inline N/A 6, lsd, CF roof, stiffer suspension etc.

and as was said, why would they admit to an upcoming M1 if theyre trying to sell 135s?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 03:30 PM   #25
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

My money is on no M1. But if there was one, it would only make sense if they replaced the 135i with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 03:34 PM   #26
Faba
Rep
Drives:

After reading this thread I kind of start to wonder, "Do I really want M1?" The more I think about it the more I lean toward no. 135 has all the power I can handle and when I will get used to it there is always Vishnu piggyback. If BMW will not drop the ball this time 135 will have superb handling, if it will be too soft there is after market springs and coilovers. I'm not a dashstroker and even if I was M1 will have same kind of interior as will 128/135. If BMW manages to squeeze V8 in that car which I think will never happen, the car will be nose heavy, and I'm huge anti-weight guy. What I think would be a good experiment for BMW is to create a lite version of 1er. Let say they would keep 135 engine but have the car almost completely stripped. So no luxury, just bear minimum. Now that would make it it very interesting car. But realistically I'm not sure there will be many buyers out there for a stripped down BMW.
Appreciate 0