BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #45
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

The M3 has a reputation to uphold, and it has always been a special car from BMW that was shared with it's owners. I have the most respect for the M3, since it has been a halo car that I have wanted in the past. The M1 should appeal to a new generation of BMW owners, and energize the brand. I owned a modified 87' 325i when I was stationed in Germany, and look forward to seeing, and maybe buying a M1 to relive the memory.
      01-10-2010, 03:58 AM   #46
Minuteman
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz

20 - 30 year old: M1 (young and successful)
30 - 40 year old: M3 (mid-career)
40 - 50 year old: M5 (family guy)
50 - 60 year old: M6 (everyone at the Country Club has one)
60 - 70 year old: 760 (fits all the grandkids)

I think the car will run great, should feel like a true M without some of the perks from the M3. This may not be the best comparison but maybe it will be similar to the comparison of a Cayman S and a Carrera S. Noticeable difference in HP/handling/0-60/etc but they both feel like a true Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 05:23 AM   #47
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

M3 was my dream car when I was young, but it no longer exists since it moves to the E92. I think the M1 really replaces what the M3 once was.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #48
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
M3 was my dream car when I was young, but it no longer exists since it moves to the E92. I think the M1 really replaces what the M3 once was.

This^^ is how the majority of the BMW enthusiasts feel.

Even the E46 was getting too big for many, specially when the e30 was so much joy to drive.. the current M3 feels like it is 3 feet longer.. you can no longer toss it side-to-side, or "tossable" like many remember.

The current M3 no longer mirrors what I want from a car, it has simply gone too big. Consider this: The current M3 is 900lbs heavier & almost a foot longer than the legendary e30 M.

The //M1 is a step towards making daily driving FUN again..!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #49
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
My attitude about the 1 series from day 1 was that it seemed like a continuation of the 3er lineage. Thats why I bought a 135i and thats why I will buy an M1.

I loved the 3 series until the E9Xs. Sad to see that they will see the same fate the 5er. Too big and too heavy...

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #50
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Yeah I agree that the M3 is too long and wide and heavy for its own good. One of the reasons that has kept me away from the current incarnation. The ONLY thing I really, really like is the M-series engines. Especially the current V8 in the M3.

I keep saying this, but I reckon it would be perfect in the new Z4!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 03:52 AM   #51
LeoHammer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
I keep saying this, but I reckon it would be perfect in the new Z4!
That V8 would be perfect in the 1 series as well...that engine would be perfect in ANYTHING... even a prius.
      01-11-2010, 04:20 AM   #52
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb3rs View Post
This^^ is how the majority of the BMW enthusiasts feel.

Even the E46 was getting too big for many, specially when the e30 was so much joy to drive.. the current M3 feels like it is 3 feet longer.. you can no longer toss it side-to-side, or "tossable" like many remember.

The current M3 no longer mirrors what I want from a car, it has simply gone too big. Consider this: The current M3 is 900lbs heavier & almost a foot longer than the legendary e30 M.

The //M1 is a step towards making daily driving FUN again..!
The E46 is actually not much bigger than the 135i if you look up the specs. I do agree that the E9* is where the 3 series became big, heavy and bloated.

It's very weird, it's almost as if the 1 series is the new 3 series and the 3 series is the new 5 series. I always saw the M3 as 6 cylinder and the size of an E36/E46/E82 and the new M1 will be just that. It will be a 6 cylinder. The M3 is now a V8 which is a completely new segment.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #53
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

Just give it a few years and the 1 series will be too big, and they'll need to introduce a 0 series underneath it to appease younger buyers.

I guess it's par for the course; look at Honda - the Civic is as big as the Accord used to be, etc.

I think the M1 will be interesting, but price seems to me to be the important thing. If I can get a 135 modded for much less than the M1 and the "upgrades" in the M aren't worth it, personally I don't see the value of the M version. Other than saying that you have an M, of course.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #54
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
Just give it a few years and the 1 series will be too big, and they'll need to introduce a 0 series underneath it to appease younger buyers.
BMW is actually developing a line of small FWD cars based on the Mini platform to be called the o series...so laugh now.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 11:49 PM   #55
warzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
You should note that the e30 is 3 generations removed from the current M3. Every car has gained weight over the generations including the legendary 911 (current 997s comes in at 3300 lbs).
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 12:29 AM   #56
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post

I guess it's par for the course; look at Honda - the Civic is as big as the Accord used to be, etc.

I think the M1 will be interesting, but price seems to me to be the important thing. If I can get a 135 modded for much less than the M1 and the "upgrades" in the M aren't worth it, personally I don't see the value of the M version. Other than saying that you have an M, of course.
1 series is too big. 2 seats too many. Engine in the wrong place. And it has carpets and door handles?!? wtf
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #57
trahsub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' ///M3

Some good stuff mentioned in this thread, but I'd hardly say the M1 is a cost effective alternative to the M3. Both of these cars are really expensive!!!! M1 will be cheaper no doubt, but assuming it's near 50 grand, that is a mint and a half dudes.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 01:51 AM   #58
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Correct, except the name is not a sure thing at this point, but they will be built for the 2013 MY. They will have an option of x-drive, to hopefully save them from being completely useless!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
BMW is actually developing a line of small FWD cars based on the Mini platform to be called the o series...so laugh now.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #59
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Since the new M3 will be an F/I I6 I can't care for any of them. But the M1 would be my choice since it's lighter and smaller(more nimble).
I think that I'll have to keep my car and swap in an S65 in order to be happy. That's how the current M3 should have been from the start. I dislike the E92 but I love the E90. There is just too much body past the doors......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 06:41 AM   #60
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

A 1 series is far more agile than a 3 series. I had had both.

The M3 E90 which i have now feels nothing like an ///M anymore except the engine is a piece of art.

1 series is the best base for ///M. 3 series has grown far to much and is to fat. The M3 CSL at 1360kg is a piece of art. The M1 should be target that weight.

So they are doing 1 thing well that s a 1 series ///M but on the other hand they are doing something wrong that s putting an souped turbo AG engine into it.

Imagine an CSL alike engine into a M1. That would put my hair on fire.

Here is a movie how throttle response and ///M engine sound should be for an ///M1

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #61
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep

It's funny that some don't trust BMW with a bi-turbo N55 (s55) in the new M1.

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 03:28 AM   #62
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

It s not funny it s serious.

I buy ///M because of it s Motorsport heritage. If i would buy a ///M car for hp and NM that would be stupid. There are far more manufacters that offer cheaper and a lot of hp an nm for less money.

///M was always something special for motorsport enthusiasts guys who bring there cars to the track. Now with turbo it s nothing special anymore.

This is a nice quote.

If you can only put youre foot on the gas when the car is straight is no driving fun for me. (This is the way how most the turbo cars needs to be driven.)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 03:37 AM   #63
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

I would like them to back to their roots! Have the current engineers go through an old Evo M3 with the boxy fenders and lovely rear wing and duplicate under the M1 or 1M badge. This car I would definately buy and have it offered bare boned for speed! and option it all the way to fat and slow to please the full spectrum of modern consumers!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #64
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
It s not funny it s serious.

I buy ///M because of it s Motorsport heritage. If i would buy a ///M car for hp and NM that would be stupid. There are far more manufacters that offer cheaper and a lot of hp an nm for less money.

///M was always something special for motorsport enthusiasts guys who bring there cars to the track. Now with turbo it s nothing special anymore.

This is a nice quote.

If you can only put youre foot on the gas when the car is straight is no driving fun for me. (This is the way how most the turbo cars needs to be driven.)

Bro, we get it. I remember seeing your videos drifting on the highway ramps in the rain... thats your thing... drifting!

///M is what BMW makes it. They pulled out of Formula1 and is pushing full force with efficient cars. So efficient sport cars are also needed, so BMW is selling them!

The next //M3 is going to be turbo too.. so please, stop with the naturally aspirated wishes. I respect you and your opinion, but it's not going to happen, so it's time to deal with reality. A turbo car can be a track car, fact!

Though, think on this. The 135i is an extremely capable car and the biggest drawback is that it is top-heavy and rolls when attacking the apex. Adding to that a big degree of understeer and you have a BMW that still keeps up with the Cayman S... w/measly 215's up front.

Imagine a 135i with 245/285 tire set up, with most of the top-heavy mass removed (CF roof, no moon roof, 55lbs),... Those 2 things alone, would have a dramatic effect on the cars handling and track characteristics.

Now imagine all the rest of the engineering that BMW with imbue into the new M1 for performance... even more lighter components, better de-stressing threw better intercooler, intake, more robust turbos, oil coolers and ductwork, even exhaust. Then add in better throttle response and more efficiency through Valvetronic..

On a 3,300lbs car...? How is that not a Motorsports car..? (Because it's a turbo?)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 01:40 AM   #65
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Quote:
Bro, we get it. I remember seeing your videos drifting on the highway ramps in the rain... thats your thing... drifting!

///M is what BMW makes it. They pulled out of Formula1 and is pushing full force with efficient cars. So efficient sport cars are also needed, so BMW is selling them!

The next //M3 is going to be turbo too.. so please, stop with the naturally aspirated wishes. I respect you and your opinion, but it's not going to happen, so it's time to deal with reality. A turbo car can be a track car, fact!

Though, think on this. The 135i is an extremely capable car and the biggest drawback is that it is top-heavy and rolls when attacking the apex. Adding to that a big degree of understeer and you have a BMW that still keeps up with the Cayman S... w/measly 215's up front.

Imagine a 135i with 245/285 tire set up, with most of the top-heavy mass removed (CF roof, no moon roof, 55lbs),... Those 2 things alone, would have a dramatic effect on the cars handling and track characteristics.

Now imagine all the rest of the engineering that BMW with imbue into the new M1 for performance... even more lighter components, better de-stressing threw better intercooler, intake, more robust turbos, oil coolers and ductwork, even exhaust. Then add in better throttle response and more efficiency through Valvetronic..

On a 3,300lbs car...? How is that not a Motorsports car..? (Because it's a turbo?)
The guy you are discussing with has Very High expectations! He owns an E-46 M3 CSL and A E90-M3. So of course his expectations are High!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #66
cap_freez
Lead, follow, or get the hell out of my way
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X3, 2013 RS5

I Believe the M3 will go out of production as soon as the M1 hits the market.

Since the performance will be very close BMW will let the M1 rule for 1 year-2 years while they prepare the next M3.

Makes sense.
Appreciate 0