Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrboy View Post
I Believe the M3 will go out of production as soon as the M1 hits the market.

Since the performance will be very close BMW will let the M1 rule for 1 year-2 years while they prepare the next M3.

Makes sense.
That might be true but not for 2 years. I am curious to see what happens BMW has allot going on product after product.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 02:25 PM   #68
Justin(OKC)
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1988 M3, 1990 M3, 1998 M3/4

Garage List
1998 BMW M3/4  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [9.28]
1988 BMW M3  [9.40]
1990 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW 135i - sold  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3 - sold  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoHammer View Post
I love my 135i i love the current M3... but i will always envy E30 owners....damn thats a real BMW, they don't make them like they used to.
That is exactly why I sold my E36 M3/4 and bought an E30 M3 last month. I don't care if it is slower than my 135i. There is just something about it. Now I just need to buy a current M3 in order to have experience every M3 that's been in production. This overall is an interesting thread. Since the news of the M-version of the 1er, it has me pondering what my next car purchase will be. Currently there are three BMW's that intrigue me: M1, E90 M3, X5-M. Time will tell what I will actually do but I figure I've got a good 2 years before I do something. I really do not want to buy another new BMW so that will play into the situation a bit for me.

As far as how the M1 will compare to the M3.....part of me says who cares. If I want another 2-door, I will likely go for the M1. If I need to do a 4-door I'll have to decide between the M3 and X5-M. Honestly the X5 would really suit me and I love it, but I wash my car a lot and am afraid of having something that big to wash every week. It would decrease my desire to modding which in my case is a definite plus!! On the other hand, if I can use some of my current mods on the M1 (AST suspension), that might make it very tempting.

I really detest the notion of people buying these cars as status symbols. I don't care what anyone thinks about my car and how it relates to my personality. I buy my car because it moves me emotionally. These cars are too expensive for the emotional element to be absent. Sure, there are people out there that have the attitude and give us BMW owners a bad name, but those people are everywhere and drive other cars as well. M3 guys looking down on M5 owners and vice versa? Really? Are they all so close minded that they cannot appreciate the other car? I just don't get that mentality.

At any rate, I look forward to seeing what happens at BMW. In the meantime, I'm going to try to enjoy my 135i and E30 M3 as much as I can!!!
2011 BMW 328i racecar - LeMans Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 02:50 PM   #69
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

E-30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin(OKC) View Post
That is exactly why I sold my E36 M3/4 and bought an E30 M3 last month. I don't care if it is slower than my 135i. There is just something about it. Now I just need to buy a current M3 in order to have experience every M3 that's been in production. This overall is an interesting thread. Since the news of the M-version of the 1er, it has me pondering what my next car purchase will be. Currently there are three BMW's that intrigue me: M1, E90 M3, X5-M. Time will tell what I will actually do but I figure I've got a good 2 years before I do something. I really do not want to buy another new BMW so that will play into the situation a bit for me.

As far as how the M1 will compare to the M3.....part of me says who cares. If I want another 2-door, I will likely go for the M1. If I need to do a 4-door I'll have to decide between the M3 and X5-M. Honestly the X5 would really suit me and I love it, but I wash my car a lot and am afraid of having something that big to wash every week. It would decrease my desire to modding which in my case is a definite plus!! On the other hand, if I can use some of my current mods on the M1 (AST suspension), that might make it very tempting.

I really detest the notion of people buying these cars as status symbols. I don't care what anyone thinks about my car and how it relates to my personality. I buy my car because it moves me emotionally. These cars are too expensive for the emotional element to be absent. Sure, there are people out there that have the attitude and give us BMW owners a bad name, but those people are everywhere and drive other cars as well. M3 guys looking down on M5 owners and vice versa? Really? Are they all so close minded that they cannot appreciate the other car? I just don't get that mentality.

At any rate, I look forward to seeing what happens at BMW. In the meantime, I'm going to try to enjoy my 135i and E30 M3 as much as I can!!!

Did you buy your E-30 M3 in Oklahoma? i will be in oklahomacity on March 1st-5th. I am in the market for an E-30 M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #70
rav7ks
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
I dont really see the point of comparing a N54/5-equipped 1 series with the M3. In terms of straight line performance a solidly chipped 135 will smoke a M3 and with suspension & tire upgrades it will rival its handling. There is no doubt about this.

Interesting. This comparison always fails. To compare both cars it should be stock vs stock in the way they came from the factory. If you're running a modded 135 then it should run against a modded M3. Of course, if you mod a 135 it will go faster and can get you close to the performance level of the M3.
Modifying these cars can potentially cause problems such as decreasing relialbility of the engine, warranty issues etc. The way these cars come from the factory are in perfect form.
The M1 looks to be a nice upgrade from the regular 1 series and will be a great addition to the M series.
The important thing is to enjoy what you have as there is always something new coming around the corner.

Last edited by rav7ks; 02-05-2010 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 04:39 AM   #71
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
When you think about it, it doesn't matter where the M3 sits compare to the M1.

If current M3 owners and 135i owners going to the M1 = more sales for BMW. M3 is towards the end of cycle and sales will slow down anyway and we know BMW like to get into the niches of niches. That's their current philosophy.

My thoughts are the performance would be very close, and picking M1 and M3 would be like picking between a 135i and 335i like someone said before.

As BBK has mentioned, all the M3 owners who switched to the M1 would go back to the M3 in a few years time.
I agree with this - although my opinion is that BMW aren't likely to make the M1 a better car than the M3 - there are likely to be some trade offs that the M1 won't come with - and there is a simple reason for this - cost. If the M1 has the same gear and is almost as fast - it would cost the same, even more.

M1 is likely to present a different niche/set of benefits to the driver... who knows what yet.

Either way, I'm sure it will be beautiful - I'm sticking with my E92 M3.
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0