01-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #23
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Wait a second here.... Either that article is all wrong, or I think MB is going about it all wrong. The article states that MB would be taking the next A and B class platform for this car (which makes total sense, since it the only car they could do this for without making a new platform just for this car), but that platform is a front wheel drive platform. The new AMG car would be rear wheel drive. That's a ridiculous undertaking.

Platforms are built so that they can be either front or rear wheel drive, and the motor mounting, tranny positioning (and tunnel room to fit a longitudinally mounted tranny), drive shaft tunnel, gas tank mounting, rear differential, the entire front and rear suspension mounting (not just the components), and trunk configuration, would be needing to be redesigned for this one AMG car.

I don't see that happening, and if they do make it, the chassis is already a compromise. At least the M1 will be based off of the proven rear drive E82 platform.
Yeah, I agree; doubtfull AMG will tackle the A/B class.

The latest gossip has MB approve a coupe/convertable off the C class chassis, with the M1 fighter being the C coupe/convertable with the new twin-turbo MB engine. I guess it would straddle the M1 and M3 in terms of who they would be competing against (since the E class is in 5/6 series territory)
Appreciate 0