mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCP M3 View Post
Car just entered 150 status today and the PCD date they assigned me is in November which seems rather late. Would I get my car sooner by having it delivered to the dealership or is that the soonest the next boat comes?
Get it for 11/28 and we could race home.

Actually, you'll probably see it 3 weeks sooner by not going PCD. I think most will tell you to go PCD for the experience. The drive home will be a little cold, but probably not quite freezing yet.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #90
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewills View Post
Get it for 11/28 and we could race home.

Actually, you'll probably see it 3 weeks sooner by not going PCD. I think most will tell you to go PCD for the experience. The drive home will be a little cold, but probably not quite freezing yet.
Haha so move it to 11/28 and ruin both our break in periods on the way home?

I need to call my CA tomorrow and see when the car would come if I didn't take PCD. Me and my father have already booked a trip to Monterey, CA for Porsche Rennsport Reunion IV and if the dealership delivery coincides with that week, I think we'll opt to delay and let it sit at PCD rather than on the dealership lot.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #91
swimfreak
Orange Crush
Rep
Drives: fun!!!

Okay, I haven't seen this question posted yet... My wife doesn't drive manual, but she'll be coming with me to the PCD. Would she be allowed to drive a DCT in another type of vehicle around the track, or would she not be allowed to drive at all?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #92
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

The most likely solution here is for you to request a 135 with DCT for your PCD driving exercises instead of driving the 1M. I doubt they will let you take two cars out, (but Ive been wrong before)

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #93
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfreak View Post
Okay, I haven't seen this question posted yet... My wife doesn't drive manual, but she'll be coming with me to the PCD. Would she be allowed to drive a DCT in another type of vehicle around the track, or would she not be allowed to drive at all?
I've asked Ginger about this at PDC, because this was my case too (girlfriend doesn't drive manual). They will only give you one car. So it's either A). she would have to not participate in the drivers experience, while you're driving the 1M, or B). you'll need to be assigned another car that both of you can participate with. Another option is to teach her how to drive manual...this is what we're doing this weekend actually . She can then try it out if she wants to, but if she's uncomfortable with it, then she can just watch (which trust me...my girlfriend is completely fine with; not sure about your situation).
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #94
mikewills
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
I've asked Ginger about this at PDC, because this was my case too (girlfriend doesn't drive manual). They will only give you one car. So it's either A). she would have to not participate in the drivers experience, while you're driving the 1M, or B). you'll need to be assigned another car that both of you can participate with. Another option is to teach her how to drive manual...this is what we're doing this weekend actually . She can then try it out if she wants to, but if she's uncomfortable with it, then she can just watch (which trust me...my girlfriend is completely fine with; not sure about your situation).
Here's a dumb question. I'm about 90% sure I will end up going by myself for PCD. If so, do I just get twice as much seat time?
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #95
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Here's a dumb question. I'm about 90% sure I will end up going by myself for PCD. If so, do I just get twice as much seat time?
I hope the answer is no cause my Pops will be really dissapointed when I tell him he's no longer invited!

Good question though, wouldn't be surprised if you do.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #96
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
If you filled out the form with another driver, then they'll try to "split" the time between the two of you. If not, than you'll get the session all to yourself. Again, I was faced with that option as well, but I told my gf that I'd really like her to come and see what the hype is all about.

What route are you using to get back to the AFB? You should stop by Charlotte for a photo opt and beer. Greenville's close enough, as well. I might be able to meet you along the way. Is your delivery date still 11/28?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #97
mikewills
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
If you filled out the form with another driver, then they'll try to "split" the time between the two of you. If not, than you'll get the session all to yourself. Again, I was faced with that option as well, but I told my gf that I'd really like her to come and see what the hype is all about.

What route are you using to get back to the AFB? You should stop by Charlotte for a photo opt and beer. Greenville's close enough, as well. I might be able to meet you along the way. Is your delivery date still 11/28?
Yeah, my delivery is still 11/28. I'm not exactly sure of the route, but I was gonna stop off in knoxville for the night to see my folks. I'm thinking of hitting up some nice twisty roads on the way to Knoxville. I'll let you know as we get closer about hooking up.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #98
UnclePerkins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i (e90) TiAg

Quote:

I took my 12-year old son with me for PCD. While the others were "switching" seats and sharing driver time, I was burning the tires off the 1M around the track.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #99
sean67
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Yes, you get double time as others have mentioned. I did mine Friday. Not as involved as the M School but lots of fun. I think I enjoyed the off road course in the X3 as much as the road course. That was incredible to me as I had no idea that X3 would do what it did and I hate SUV's in general but that changed my mind not that I have ever had to drive in conditions like that but wow it was impressive.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #100
dwildone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80 M3

Quote:
Yeah, my delivery is still 11/28. I'm not exactly sure of the route, but I was gonna stop off in knoxville for the night to see my folks. I'm thinking of hitting up some nice twisty roads on the way to Knoxville. I'll let you know as we get closer about hooking up.
I went through Knoxville via the Tail of the Dragon on a route that Donnie Isley set up for me. I would highly recommend doing the same- it was a great drive. I was beat when I rolled into Knoxville around 8:30 that night, but it was well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #101
Poppy4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, E36 sold

My 1M just went into production (9/10 order date). I have a confirmed PCD date of 12/2. I am thinking that it could get to South Carolina by 11/2 so I wonder if they would allow me to pick it up early in Greenville and just drop out of the class? Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #102
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

regarding this bullet
Quote:
Who can take delivery at the BMW Performance Center?
[]Customers who are U.S. residents (18 years of age or older with a valid U.S. driver’s license) registering the vehicle at a valid U.S. address can take delivery at the BMW Performance Center. Participants will be required to sign a waiver to participate as a driver or passenger in any BMW Performance Center (BMWNA) vehicle. Customers younger than 18 years of age must possess valid driver licenses/permits and must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian (most likely the person whose name appears on the bill-of-sale/lease agreement/retail installment contract, etc.). Parents accompanying a minor will be required to sign a waiver on the child’s behalf. The waiver covers liability while the customer is involved in any tours, driving activities or other BMW Performance Center activities.
Is that all that is needed to drive a car at their track? A valid Driver's License and a waiver?
How about insurance? Will my guest need to show proof of insurance?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #103
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy4 View Post
My 1M just went into production (9/10 order date). I have a confirmed PCD date of 12/2. I am thinking that it could get to South Carolina by 11/2 so I wonder if they would allow me to pick it up early in Greenville and just drop out of the class? Any thoughts?
You'd be missing the point of a PCD, wouldn't you?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #104
Poppy4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, E36 sold

Yes, but I would get the car a month earlier
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #105
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy4 View Post
Yes, but I would get the car a month earlier
That's your wishful thinking.
You don't know for a fact that the car will be there 1 month earlier.
Why don't you just have them deliver to your dealer?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #106
dwildone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
regarding this bullet
Quote:
Who can take delivery at the BMW Performance Center?
[]Customers who are U.S. residents (18 years of age or older with a valid U.S. driverÂ’s license) registering the vehicle at a valid U.S. address can take delivery at the BMW Performance Center. Participants will be required to sign a waiver to participate as a driver or passenger in any BMW Performance Center (BMWNA) vehicle. Customers younger than 18 years of age must possess valid driver licenses/permits and must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian (most likely the person whose name appears on the bill-of-sale/lease agreement/retail installment contract, etc.). Parents accompanying a minor will be required to sign a waiver on the childÂ’s behalf. The waiver covers liability while the customer is involved in any tours, driving activities or other BMW Performance Center activities.
Is that all that is needed to drive a car at their track? A valid Driver's License and a waiver?
How about insurance? Will my guest need to show proof of insurance?
My guest did not need a separate proof of insurance. Mine sufficed.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #107
ethanh8791
Supreme Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: crazy

Garage List
2007 VW GTI  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
If you do PCD at what point do you settle up at the dealership and handle paperwork/financing/etc? I'm probably selling my one and only car to help finance this purchase so need to figure out the time line.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #108
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanh8791 View Post
If you do PCD at what point do you settle up at the dealership and handle paperwork/financing/etc? I'm probably selling my one and only car to help finance this purchase so need to figure out the time line.
Usually around two weeks before delivery.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #109
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I need to call my CA tomorrow and see when the car would come if I didn't take PCD. Me and my father have already booked a trip to Monterey, CA for Porsche Rennsport Reunion IV and if the dealership delivery coincides with that week, I think we'll opt to delay and let it sit at PCD rather than on the dealership lot.
Speaking of break in... how does one break this engine in driving 2 days on highway?
They recommend not to exceed 4500rpm. I can do that.
They recommend varying the engine speed... How? I would think I'd be risking being pulled over by cops for driving erratically.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #110
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Quote:

Speaking of break in... how does one break this engine in driving 2 days on highway?
They recommend not to exceed 4500rpm. I can do that.
They recommend varying the engine speed... How? I would think I'd be risking being pulled over by cops for driving erratically.
5000-5500 RPMs stated in manual. And up till 1200 miles.

I seriously doubt 2 highway drives would break it in unless you were driving across the country lol.