BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #23
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

On the topic of a bad driving record affecting your job, it's very true if you hold a security clearance. People have been denied their clearance or obtaining one due to a bad driving record being a contributing factor. The reason why this is so is because the adjudicators take a stance that this person has issues following the rules. In the world of classified access, following the rules is everything.

And it's funny how squid is used here. In the motorcycle world, if someone is called a squid that means they're a hooligan on the road. Taking unnecessary risks, constantly breaking laws, and in general giving motorcyclists a bad name. The many crash videos you see on Youtube are indicative of squids.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #24
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

A few years ago, my 19 year-old son rear ended a van in his late 90's Chrysler Sebring LXI. We were insured by Progressive. They covered the repairs to the minivan without any hesitation, and they determined that my son's Sebring was totaled. He was heartbroken and I was anxious when we showed up at a claim center to pick up a check for his car. He had loved the car and kept it in pretty good condition on his student budget. Imagine our surprise when the agent handed us a check that was several hundred dollars MORE than we had paid for the car two years earlier. Furthermore, our rates did not increase as I had expected.

Who hates Progressive? Not this guy.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #25
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

I think some of you are confused the about the real purpose of auto insurance. The main reason is to protect you from financial liability, up to the limits of your policy. If you are god forbid at fault, even partially, in an accident you can end up in the poor house. I've had several successful friends who were sued and took years to recover financially.

Obviously, repairing your ride is of secondary importance. I'd recommend you don't even bother your insurance company in minor scrapes even if they aren't your fault. One caveat is if there any reasonable concern the other party looks like the litigious type, you had better contact your company ASAP.

To keep insurance costs down, carry high deductibles. Another idea is to use one company for all your insurance needs like auto and home. Also don't be afraid to bargain with your company but only if you are as pure as the driven snow in regard to you driving record.

Finally, if you ever get a DUI, give up driving and get a Schwinn.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #26
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Von Tooty View Post
I think some of you are confused the about the real purpose of auto insurance. The main reason is to protect you from financial liability, up to the limits of your policy. If you are god forbid at fault, even partially, in an accident you can end up in the poor house. I've had several successful friends who were sued and took years to recover financially.

Obviously, repairing your ride is of secondary importance. I'd recommend you don't even bother your insurance company in minor scrapes even if they aren't your fault. One caveat is if there any reasonable concern the other party looks like the litigious type, you had better contact your company ASAP.

To keep insurance costs down, carry high deductibles. Another idea is to use one company for all your insurance needs like auto and home. Also don't be afraid to bargain with your company but only if you are as pure as the driven snow in regard to you driving record.

Finally, if you ever get a DUI, give up driving and get a Schwinn.
You seem to be overly concerned with being dropped by your insurance carrier. Yes, with a DUI, you can probably expect to be dropped, but for conventional accidents that happen on a regular basis, one does not have to live in fear as you suggest. I have a very clean driving record in terms of traffic violations, but I haven't had the best luck with accidents. I have claimed every single one with my company and I do not regret it for a second. My agent has personally gone up to bat for me multiple times. My premiums have only increased for accidents where I was 100% at fault and even then, the increase was marginal at best. I am not advocating abusing your policy and having a vehicle restored to perfection on your insurance company's dime, but making use of the coverage you pay for is more than understandable.

From a financial standpoint, auto insurance is largely about liability protection. For the average motorist with full coverage, over half of the conventional insurance premium goes towards liability in one form or another. However, with people like us who drive BMWs, Porsches, Audis and other more expensive, difficult to repair vehicles, the portion of the premium that goes to liability is closer to 40%. From a psychological standpoint, insurance essentially translates to a means of having your vehicle repaired to most individuals.

I do agree with you regarding carrying high deductibles and making use of an umbrella policy. I employ both of these strategies. The discounts that accrue thanks to being part of the umbrella policy are substantial and every dime of every deductible I've ever had to pay was recovered through subrogation.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2
Appreciate 0