BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #45
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Wow, :eyebulge: okay it all makes sense to me now.
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 08:36 AM   #46
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Latest update

Had a little "issue" with the dealership this morning as although the system allowed me to order the 261 style rims without the sport pack, there was a little bit of fine print in the brochure which only allows them with SP . So I decided to take the plunge and add SP. At least now will get the antracite roof lining and all the m-adorned goodies in the cabin (not that those were an issue).:thumbup:

Got the dealership to pay for a BMW "high performance" driving course for me where I get to drive either a 335i or Z4 M Coupe around the Kyalami Race Circuit here in SA. Sounds like a fair trade....:biggrin::biggrin:
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #47
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA135i View Post
Got the dealership to pay for a BMW "high performance" driving course for me where I get to drive either a 335i or Z4 M Coupe around the Kyalami Race Circuit here in SA. Sounds like a fair trade....:biggrin::biggrin:
I'm extremely jealous!!!:w00t:
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #48
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Hopefully I will get to learn something I can use on the 135i
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #49
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA135i View Post
Hopefully I will get to learn something I can use on the 135i
Oh, you'll definitely learn something alright. You'll also have a ton o' fun.
      01-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #50
Ryephile
Not a Newbie
Rep
Drives:

I wish the U.S. 135i could get anthracite headliner. I had on in my '07 MINI and it's WONDERFUL and sexy compared to the lame light gray 'liner.
      01-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #51
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
I wish the U.S. 135i could get anthracite headliner. I had on in my '07 MINI and it's WONDERFUL and sexy compared to the lame light gray 'liner.
Depends on the interior color combo, in my opinion. With my leatherette, I thought that the anthracite headliner would be overkill on the black. But get it with an interior with some more color and it looks awesome.

BTW, is "had on my '07 MINI" correct? No more MINI for you?
      01-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #52
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
I pined for Anthracite also. But this time next year I doubt It'll be missed.
      01-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #53
Ryephile
Not a Newbie
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
BTW, is "had on my '07 MINI" correct? No more MINI for you?
Had an '07.....sold it to get back into an '02 MCS. I prefer the more visceral connection than the over-refined '07.
      01-12-2008, 03:12 AM   #54
fuhgetaboutit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I am not getting the sport package. It doesn't change the suspension as the sport package does on many other BMW models. The 135 has the sport suspension standard. I agree with those that say M-badging does not belong on a non-M car. I'm getting black metallic and I think the chrome looks better with that than the shadowline trim. Even if it turns out that the sport package adds an oil cooler, I'm doubtful I would ever drive the car hard enough for that to matter.

Clearly the most valuable part of the sport package is the sport seats. I have the sport seats in my E46 325 and they are nice. But for me they are not worth the extra grand.

It is all subjective. You aren't "right" or "wrong" for choosing or not choosing a specific option. But those are my reasons for not getting it.

One thing I do find interesting though is that in the U.S., the chromeline trim differentiates the 335 from the 328 (the 335 has chrome). So it is ironic that for the 135, if you pay extra and get the sport package, you get the shadowline trim, which in the 3-series denotes the lower-end model (328). Again, ultimately it is subjective and just styling preferences.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #55
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Had an '07.....sold it to get back into an '02 MCS. I prefer the more visceral connection than the over-refined '07.
Interesting. After years of the buzzing experience in my MX-5, I was enthralled with the R56's brilliance as an all-around machine. Plus, the power of the turbo motor is down right addicting.

Anyway, I'm always interested to see what MINI owners do when it comes time to sell as they seem to be the best barometers for another car's ability.
      01-13-2008, 01:54 AM   #56
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhgetaboutit View Post
It is all subjective. You aren't "right" or "wrong" for choosing or not choosing a specific option. But those are my reasons for not getting it.

One thing I do find interesting though is that in the U.S., the chromeline trim differentiates the 335 from the 328 (the 335 has chrome). So it is ironic that for the 135, if you pay extra and get the sport package, you get the shadowline trim, which in the 3-series denotes the lower-end model (328). Again, ultimately it is subjective and just styling preferences.
It is a little confusing because all the new 328i coupes have the chrome trim, but the sedans have the black.

I think most people think of the Shadow line trim being on the M-cars. It gives it a more sporty look, chrome is more on the luxury side. Like you said its a personal choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #57
Miata13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW x3 M40i (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
Interesting. After years of the buzzing experience in my MX-5, I was enthralled with the R56's brilliance as an all-around machine. Plus, the power of the turbo motor is down right addicting.

Anyway, I'm always interested to see what MINI owners do when it comes time to sell as they seem to be the best barometers for another car's ability.
M-Power...I echo your sentiments....as a current Miata owner with the 1 series and MINI S on the "short list" when replacement time comes along, am interested in what former Miata owners move to... In your case, why from Maita to MINI and now (presumably) from (or addtion to) MINI S to 1 Series?

Rick
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #58
fuhgetaboutit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

The sports package, especially on the 1-series, is a great example of how BMW makes money. Each option and how much extra it probably costs BMW to add -

M shifter - nothing
M steering wheel - nothing
Shadowline trim - nothing
155 mph limiter - nothing
Sport seats - I like the sport seats, I do. But the side bolsters can't cost BMW that much.
Super-secret extra oil cooler - who the hell knows, since we don't know if this comes with the sport package or not.

I've heard people say "well, the seats alone are worth the $1000, because you'll pay around that much for them after-market" - but that doesn't mean they cost $1000 more than the standard seats BMW uses.

Not that BMW would ever tell us, but it isn't crazy to think that the 1-series sport package is at least 90% profit for them.

And it isn't like the 3-series sport package is much different. Like a different suspension setup costs them much?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #59
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Cost based pricing rarely exists, take a look at the shoes your wearing. Pretty much every product is like this I don't hate BMW for it, I just have to figure out how much the sport package is worth to me.
      01-13-2008, 07:10 PM   #60
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Marketing 101 - the cost of an object has no bearing on its price.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #61
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
Cost based pricing rarely exists, take a look at the shoes your wearing. Pretty much every product is like this I don't hate BMW for it, I just have to figure out how much the sport package is worth to me.
Exactly, it’s not the fact that you’re actually getting a $1000 worth of products. Just about every package they make a killing on.

The fact is after a week of driving with standard seats, you will be wishing you got the sport seats.

On occasion I get a 3-series or 5-series as a loaner with standard seats, it is night and day how much more comfortable my sports seats are in my E60.
Appreciate 0