BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
E36325is
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 1M coupe

Wow most awesome combo, which spring and shock setup are you currently using?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #24
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashoof View Post
how many miles you have logged so far how happy you are with the performance of the brake kit if i may ask ?? thanks
I still got a little gap with the brakes so I can't really judge but it is getting better every time I drive. I personally only have driven 60kms uneventful kms on road with my wife in the car, but I love the progression it gives. There is no noise, no dust, and it is a full race brake without changing pads. Dynamically, I require some suspension adjustments as I feel that I might need to slow compression down a bit. Rebound seems to be fine.

I am hoping to get to the track on the 31/1/13 so will probably have another bleed of the brakes if it is not right. Also, if I would like to have a quick run on the B roads just to see how well they work.

I will give more feedback once I have driven the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36325is View Post
Wow most awesome combo, which spring and shock setup are you currently using?
I am currently just using stock, but I am looking at PSi Racekit with a both TTX front and rears at the moment. However, MCA Suspension (Murray Coote, previously Proflex Australia) would have a big influence on what I will end up using.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #25
E36325is
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post

I am currently just using stock, but I am looking at PSi Racekit with a both TTX front and rears at the moment. However, MCA Suspension (Murray Coote, previously Proflex Australia) would have a big influence on what I will end up using.
Sounds interesting, looking forward to your review!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #26
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Just a quick update - have a good drive tonight, and I am still dealing with brake slack, so can't really review the brakes. However, I can confirm the brakes has done its trick for the suspension. Rebound is quick and I barely feel the pot hole I accidentally ran over tonight. Turn-in is even better than before.

I am not very good with suspension setup as I am a newby, but I think the stock compression is not quite firm enough.

Overall, I can see the potential of the new brakes in its assist in the suspension setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #27
E36325is
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Yeah I think in stock form, the front is too soft and rear too stiff...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 03:28 AM   #28
ashoof
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5m

i wonder how do they compare with movit ceramic system
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 04:50 AM   #29
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashoof View Post
i wonder how do they compare with movit ceramic system
I would only comment on specs as apart from engineers working on the cars I don't think anyone would have driven both on the 1M:

Brembo's are a little bit lighter
Brembo's have a little more tensile strength
Brembo's conduct heat much better
Mov'it cost around 18k Euro, Brembo GT is 25k, and GTR is around 30k

I know a few ferrari owners has swapped their stock CCM Brembos to the Mov'it with great results. However, the CCM-R are the ones on the Ferrari Challenge Cars, and not the same as the standard cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 05:13 AM   #30
ashoof
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
I would only comment on specs as apart from engineers working on the cars I don't think anyone would have driven both on the 1M:

Brembo's are a little bit lighter
Brembo's have a little more tensile strength
Brembo's conduct heat much better
Mov'it cost around 18k Euro, Brembo GT is 25k, and GTR is around 30k

I know a few ferrari owners has swapped their stock CCM Brembos to the Mov'it with great results. However, the CCM-R are the ones on the Ferrari Challenge Cars, and not the same as the standard cars.
I also have used the movit on porsche GT2 and tracked the hell out of the car for 2 season and it was flawless never had a single issue with brakes system
now i am struggling wich way to go brembo or movit since your the only one who have the brembo ill be waiting for your feedback after some track use
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #31
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Just want to have this updated. Thanks to my Dad he's put on another 1000km on my car, and after I tried to rebed the car, I think the brakes had settled somewhat. The other day I wasn't able to string some good runs, but today I was able to get some very clean runs where I can test out the brakes.

The Good part:
The brakes are beautiful and easily modulated. It instill so much more confidence on getting the braking pressure right. No noise, no vibration, just slow down the way you want it to. This is a street test on country roads only, so the speed involve is not big like on the track, but I can feel what I have paid for. The other improvement is the suspension. Turn-in is quicker, sharper; road imperfections rarely unsettled the car where you can feel the full grip available. The car now has a much bigger head start when I start looking into suspension. Unfortunately haven't got a chance to test them on track yet, and looks like it is not going to happen till 28/3. Will try to get one in in February if the problems are sorted.

The problems - will post on the other thread as looks like some installation issue unrelated to the product.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 04:48 AM   #32
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I got my brakes bled today, and have the work checked.

So, it was air just after all. They also found the rear pins and springs wasn't fitted properly which was causing the click.

Now, I have to say that the brakes are absolutely fantastic! Forget about my review above, it is 100x better. I can modulate the brakes so easily now, very consistent and you know exactly how much brake you have got. No noise (except for a tiny click which was from a small gap about 2mm between the pads and calliper).
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #33
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i, 640i, X6M50d, X3M40i

awesome brakes mate!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #34
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Just a quick update after the track day yesterday:

The click is now gone, and the inconsistent take up on the brakes have sorted itself after the first lap. So, probably just need to drive it hard for the first time and get some heat into the pads to fully set them.

I did a 28 lap run and there is no difference from the first lap and the last lap. I did a total of 68 laps before fuel runs out and how the brakes was very consistent, and people who were watching was saying how late I was braking. When reviewing the log comparing my instructors laps and mine, he was braking or lot less than I did so I had been very hard on the brakes too!

The brakes are absolutely fantastic!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #35
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

That's a hell of a session at 28 laps. What tires are you using again?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 04:21 AM   #36
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
That's a hell of a session at 28 laps. What tires are you using again?
PSS - starting temp was 35psi, and feel good right through the session so didn't feel the need to measure the temp. Looks like the PSS have a good range of operating temperature. First time on the track, only third time on a track and 5 years since I was here, so not running particularly fast, and a good 4 seconds under a theoretical best lap so I am not really working the tyres too hard.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #37
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

I think I need to chill a little more next time I get on track. Save my equipment as opposed to going for gold every lap I really worked my brakes and PSS's a bit too hard in retrospect. Was a hell of a lot of fun though!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #38
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Those CCM-R's look to be fantastic! I wonder if it's realistic to expect them to become more affordable after further development and high production numbers or whether they'll always be so pricey?
      05-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #39
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
Those CCM-R's look to be fantastic! I wonder if it's realistic to expect them to become more affordable after further development and high production numbers or whether they'll always be so pricey?
I am sure it will get cheaper, but I don't think it is ever going to be cheap as it is a racing product. I would say the standard ceramic may become better which render the CCM-R unnecessary for the occasional track day.
Appreciate 0